R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 03-09-2008, 07:33 PM   #16
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 240 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mog ruith View Post
so ur saying the 989 is better compare to the 610i?
nevermind the built in balancer, but can somebody tell me whats the diff
(pros and con) between both charger?

Here you go as a comparison between the 610i and MRC 989:

MRC989

Pros:
- Comes with 10amp external Power supply
- Can work with a wide variety of battery types
- easy to use menu
- included temperature sensor
- excellent customer support
- easily transportable
- excellent price
- excellent manual
- Plugin wires are attached to harness with screws for easy changing / replacing
- 10 amp discharge rate

Cons:
- Screen is not backlit
- Doesn't have a setting for A123 packs
- Buttons have a somewhat soft feel from the plastic / rubber used
- No data on individual cells being charged
- Plug in wires sometimes work themselves free
- Some manufacturers don't want you to use MRC chargers (based on issues they had with the older chargers)

Hyperion 610i

Pros:
- Screen is backlit
- Displays Data on each individual cell in the pack during charging
- Wide variety of packs can be charged
- Includes 2-6S adapter
- User selectable finish tones
- Integrated PC port for online firmware updates
- Rated to safely charge at 2C rate
- Confirmation screen for cell type checking prior to starting charge (lipos)
- User setup mode to set ratings of power supply to not over draw
- Sturdy construction
- easy to transport
- displays resistance level for each cell, voltage, etc
- can be networked with another 610i charger

Cons
- No included manual, must print from online (for now)
- Low discharge rate (5Amp I believe)
- cords for online updating and temp sensor not included
- Wire for 2S - 6S adapter kind of short
- No included power supply

Thats about it. In my opinion, both are excellent chargers. You get a lot of charger for the money with the MRC989. But it is hard to beat all the features that the hyperion 610i has. Having the ability to get individual data on each cell in the pack is really awesome to have.

I would say if money is no object, the 610i the best. If you are alittle more price conscious and want an excellent charger, the MRC989 deserves a strong look.
Old 03-10-2008, 01:51 AM   #17
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 110 (100%+)

I have had both the 989 and the 610i. I prefer the 610i because its backlit and has the built in balancer. the balancer also shows you the individual voltage for each cell so you know exactly what they are at (most done do this). the 5amp discharge doesn't bother me because I only run lipo and well dont discharge them.

The 989 is alright but really isn't that much cheaper once you account for having to buy a balancer.
tschenck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 07:23 AM   #18
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

if i go with the hyperion then i have to get myself a power supply
mog ruith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 12:36 PM   #19
Tech Elite

What does everyone think of the Thunder Power TP-610C ?

That is what I had recommended to me.

I like the Hyperion 0610I Dual Output Charger as well. Do they have there own website ? i would like more info. Thanks.
Chris Reilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 05:26 PM   #20
Tech Rookie

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Yes, they do. http://www.maxamps.com/ Its a pretty good little company. I recently bought this along with a second identicle battery for a spare. So far I am very satisfied. They even sent me in the mail a nice handwritten thankyou note for my business, from the owner! Thats a nice touch I thought. Well, I did spend almost $500 , wow, thats sick.
Whoops, you wanted the Hyperion site, http://media.hyperion.hk/dn/eos/ at least that is thier support page I believe.
Old 03-10-2008, 06:07 PM   #21
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Nickmind

Well, I pulled the trigger today and joined the lipo family. I went with Maxamps 6 amp 7.4 lipo and their new Method balancer. I saw a lot of trakpower fans on this thread, but I did not find any trakpower batteries over 5 amps, and the cost was the same for a maxamps 6 amp battery. I'm not down playing trakpower. for the cost to power ratio it seems that maxamps has the cake. We will see.

But this does bring me to a question. I see a lot of High Voltage (7.5+ volts) options on maxamps website, that I don't see any other batteries having this high voltage option elsewhere. Mostly 7.4 a couple of 11.1's, here and there, but that is about it. Am I missing something? Also, that leads into my next question, ESC support for HV batteries, I hear that mamba max is able to support up to 5s. But are there any other ESC's supporting >11.1 volt batteries?

This will be my first lipo. I still remember my first NiMH when NiCD was the in. :0) I will let everyone know how it goes for me.
Old 03-10-2008, 08:21 PM   #22
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 65 (99%+)

voltage will depend on what you are trying to run. if you are running a 1/10th
then you will not need more then a 7.4 lipo. i run a xxx4 with a 5.5 and a trakpower 4900 and it has more power then i could ever want. runs for about 20 mins. also if you buy a 4s or 4s battery you have to remember that if one cell goes bad then you have to break it down. i know a bunch of guys that run 2 2s lipos in there 1/8th scale. if one cell goes bad then there isn't such a tragedy. just my 2 cents. just be sure to do your homework before making big purchases.

http://www.BulldawgRC.com
Team Driver for: Proline, Team Epic/Trinity, Hex Crew, Bulldawg R/C, Speed Demon Hobbies ~~~~TEAM CRUNCHY~~~~
Bulldawg RC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 08:37 PM   #23
Super Moderator
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

The higher voltage stuff is mainly for the fly guys I think. Dawg is on the money, with a brushless setup ya can make them undriveable as it is. And the 1/8 scale conversion guys mostly use 2 regular packs, to make balancing the car easier.

Of course some speed freaks will disagree, more power to them, just don't expect this old fat bald fart to marshall! But be sure to use a balancer, as you go up just more chance for things getting out of whack. Whatever the brand IMO.

Bottom line increasingly good choices for everybody, don't worry, just drive the damn toy!
Dave H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 08:53 PM   #24
Super Moderator
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Reilly View Post
I like the Hyperion 0610I Dual Output Charger as well. Do they have there own website ? i would like more info. Thanks.
I was interested in this one too, for charging 2 packs at once. Also the big Cellpro, appears to at least somewhat similar. But best I can tell, they work with the packs connected as one. In other words, they need to be in the same discharge state and you start them together, acting as one ginormus pack. It doesn't appear that you can have one pack charging and then start another one later.

Does anyone know if I got this right?

Thanks!
Dave H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 09:48 PM   #25
Tech Regular

From reading the owner's manual, you can charge them together in what they call sync mode, but it's not necessary. In that mode the batts should be the same type, rating and age.
It does offer a solo mode as well. Each batt charges seprately. You choose which side during setup.

http://media.hyperion.hk/dn/eos/EOS0610iDUO-MAN-EN.pdf
Jeckler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 10:01 PM   #26
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 65 (99%+)

I carry that one for $275. Very nice charger.

http://www.BulldawgRC.com
Team Driver for: Proline, Team Epic/Trinity, Hex Crew, Bulldawg R/C, Speed Demon Hobbies ~~~~TEAM CRUNCHY~~~~
Bulldawg RC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 07:04 AM   #27
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Default lipo

I guess i'll stick with trakpower, their new gold brick is now a 25c pack and AMAIN dropped the price 10 bucks. With all the talk here on lipos i am surprised no one mentioned hard packs. Racers beware most tracks REQUIRE HARD PLASTIC PROECTIVE CASE>>>>>. max amps have good batteries but their version of a hard pack don't qualify. Also keep in mind when buying lipos that nasty little word wires. On lipos their not replace by the user. This makes trakpower, orion, checkpoint more desireable.. Also orion's new 3600 pack states on the box. "do not use MRC chargers to charge this pack"..... Just some things to keep in mind when bulying lipos.... thanks to all for some good tips on this forum...
newbie2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 09:18 AM   #28
Tech Addict

any idea why the orion lipo cant use mrc chargers??
im leaning more towards the mrc 989 charger
cos basically i still bash using my nimh packs
the 989 has a 20amp discharge while the hyperion 610 is only 5amp
mog ruith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 09:29 AM   #29
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mog ruith View Post
any idea why the orion lipo cant use mrc chargers??
im leaning more towards the mrc 989 charger
cos basically i still bash using my nimh packs
the 989 has a 20amp discharge while the hyperion 610 is only 5amp

Cause mrc chargers suck...... and lipos are sensitive to damage.
Old 03-11-2008, 11:16 AM   #30
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Here is what i have been told about the discharge rate on a lipo charger, why would you want to discharge it? Because the lipo's do not need to be cycled there is no reason to have a "High" discharge rate. Most lipo only chargers also charge at a slope rate meaning that you start off at a high amp rate & end at a very low amp rate, kind of like the old dial timer chargers.
Speedracer19 is offline   Reply With Quote