Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Returning to hobby after 14 years

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2008, 09:50 AM
Tech Adept

Default Returning to hobby after 14 years

WOW. A lot has changed. I have been missing out on what was once my favorite hobby and am going to get back into it. I have several neices and nephews and it would be fun to introduce them to the hobby. Fun thing for the whole family to get involved in.

My main buggy for racing was the RC10. I had it modded out the yin yang. I raced it on both carpet and off-road (I had a lowering and stabilizer kit to use for carpet). I also had a cool hyper-drive (belt system for my tranny). Other rides I had include the Tamiya Falcon and Lunchbox and the Kyosho Double Dare (had to lock the rear wheels from the steering, kept tipping over).

Anyway. I miss my RC10 so I am buying another one. Starting from scratch. So before I commit to purchases here is a list of stuff that I am looking into buying. Any input would be helpful.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&P=SM&I=LXGZW7 - RC10

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXKSW1&P=SM - Motor/ESC

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXNMF9&P=ML - LiPo Battery

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXHDJ1&P=7 - Charger

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...I=LXCHA8**&P=0 - Radio

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXEX35&P=M - Pinion Set

Seems like a way to start out in a semi-competitive way. I am committed only to the RC10 for nostalgia purposes. Everything else is up for grabs. Thanks in advance for input.
Old 03-07-2008, 09:55 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 18 (95%+)

Your shopping list looks really nice. I would say to get a slower motor to start with since you're just getting back into the hobby. 17.5 is the new stock equivalent and might be a good place to start. 13.5 or 10.5 are also options.

I would get the 3600 Orion pack instead of the 3200, it is punchier and has longer run times. I would also look into an M11 radio, you may out grow the one you have selected, although it is a good radio and has all the features you will need right now.

Last thing, if you intend to race somewhere in your area, buy the car and all the gear from your local hobby shop. That way if you have a problem, they will be more then willing to help you. It is also good to support the place you race, if you don't, it may not be around for long.

Welcome back to the hobby and good luck, I'm sure you're going to enjoy yourself.
Old 03-07-2008, 09:58 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

The only things I would change would be to get an Orion 4800 pack instead of the 3200 because the 4800 is heavier which is a good thing and will give you more runtime. With the 4800 you can easily get away with only one battery pack. You may also want to consider a DSM radio that doesn't use crystals the Futaba 3pm Fast system is the best bang for your buck IMHO

Also to save a few dollars you may want to look into the Castle Creations Sidewinder system with the 5700kv motor or even the milder 4600kv. I race with a few guys that have them and they all love them and I've never seen a castle blow up.
Old 03-07-2008, 10:00 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Get a 2.4 radio so you aint ever gotta worry about your channel!
Old 03-07-2008, 10:01 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Get the 2.4ghz radio if you intend to race it. Less hassle.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXSGB0&P=ML

3200mah lipo is good enough for 5min. If you want bigger capacity might as well go with the trakpower 4900 instead of the orion 3600.
Old 03-07-2008, 10:07 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

I would definately go with a smaller motor for a buggy.
A 2.4 ghz or spektrum compatible radio are almost the norm now. Saves alot of headaches as they don't glitch, have built in failsafe, and never worry about a crystal again.

If you want to do any racing, might want to check the turnouts buggies have. Where I'm at trucks have much better turnouts. Also if you are just going to bash it and let your nephews bash with it a truck might be better as well. The bigger tires will go thru much more stuff than a buggy. The ae T4 is basically just a big buggy. Little longer, wider, and bigger tires.

Have fun getting reintroduced in the hobby. lol
I did myself in 2003. My wife still threatens to throw out all my cars.
Old 03-07-2008, 10:10 AM
Suspended

Talking TEAM LOSI RACING RULES!

UUUMMMM THE 3600 ORION'S ARE NOT ANY MORE PUNCHIER THAN THE 3200.I HAVE DRIVEN ALL THREE THE PUNCH IS ABOUT THE SAME,BUT AS YOU YOU GO UP IN MAH THE RUN TIME GOES UP 3200 RUNS REAL GOOD FOR 30 MIN,3600 RUNS REAL GOOD FOR ABOUT 40 MIN,4800 RUN GOOD FOR ABOUT 45-50 MIN BUT BY THAT TIME YOUR READY FOR A NAP. ANY OF THE ORION PACKS ARE GOOD BESIDES THE TIME IN QUALIFYING 5-6 MIN YOU'LL BE HAPPY WITH ANY OR IF YOU ARE JUST BACKYARD BASHING LOOKING FOR RUN TIME THEN 4800 ARE WHAT YOU WANT GOOD LUCK WITH YOUR NEW GEAR!
Old 03-07-2008, 10:15 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by losidriver70
UUUMMMM THE 3600 ORION'S ARE NOT ANY MORE PUNCHIER THAN THE 3200.I HAVE DRIVEN ALL THREE THE PUNCH IS ABOUT THE SAME,BUT AS YOU YOU GO UP IN MAH THE RUN TIME GOES UP 3200 RUNS REAL GOOD FOR 30 MIN,3600 RUNS REAL GOOD FOR ABOUT 40 MIN,4800 RUN GOOD FOR ABOUT 45-50 MIN BUT BY THAT TIME YOUR READY FOR A NAP. ANY OF THE ORION PACKS ARE GOOD BESIDES THE TIME IN QUALIFYING 5-6 MIN YOU'LL BE HAPPY WITH ANY OR IF YOU ARE JUST BACKYARD BASHING LOOKING FOR RUN TIME THEN 4800 ARE WHAT YOU WANT GOOD LUCK WITH YOUR NEW GEAR!
I own all three and feel that the 3600 has more rip. It has a higher discharge rating.
Old 03-07-2008, 10:23 AM
Tech Adept

Based on input:

New battery http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXLVG3&P=7

New radio http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0161p?&I=LZ0773

I am cool with the motor. I would rather get it now than have to buy it later after buying an inferior one. I am very OCD about the quality of my toys. I will most likely just run it around on nice, even flat pavement until I get used to it again. It won't take long. My last RC10 was silly fast with the Joel Johnson silver dot signature series motor. I was easily breaking 40 mph with that thing maybe even faster. Its just been so long I cannot remember.

I am going to buy my nephews their own on thier Bdays. The older one is 16 so I think I will get him a basic Tamiya setup and the younger one will get a pre assemled mini one.

You really think I am gonna let my nephews use my R/C ride? BLASPHEMY!!! MY toy dammit! They get their own.

Thanks again guys.
Old 03-07-2008, 10:26 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 65 (99%+)

go with the GOLD, TrakPower all the way!

http://wwwBulldawgRC.com
Old 03-07-2008, 10:32 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

Aight Chief...... UMMMM chill with the caps and your post is completly incorrect...... Things vary with equipment used. IE: Motor Esc etc...

Originally Posted by SQC049
I own all three and feel that the 3600 has more rip. It has a higher discharge rating.
+1 on this go with the 3600 or the 4800. These both have there advantages one has much more rip or punch (3600) and the more runtime with good punch (4800).

I recommend starting with the peak 4800 and then getting a 3600 down the road. you will be amazed with these battery's after 14 years.

Also do you lipo research just to kinda get the routine down and what never to do with these batterys cause they dont react to user error well at all. Peak/orion are the same. Orion/peak are the best lipo's out right now.
Old 03-07-2008, 10:36 AM
Suspended

Thumbs up Damn jack and coke sounds goods right now!

Are you a fucking kid get your heads at of your asses i race against these packs every wed and sunday and i don't have a problem with the 3200 losing punch or getting out ran anytime !

Don't mean to be rude but been doing this stuff and tested all these batteries and own and they all work great! peace!
Old 03-07-2008, 10:39 AM
Tech Elite

Are you a fucking kid get your heads at of your asses i race against these packs every wed and sunday and i don't have a problem with the 3200 losing punch or getting out ran anytime !

Don't mean to be rude but been doing this stuff and tested all these batteries and own and they all work great! peace!
Nobody says it losses punch you idiot. The 3600 has a 25C discharge rate, the 3200 only has an 18C discharge rate. You figure out what this means.

I think you are the one that need to "get your heads at your asses". Tool.
Old 03-07-2008, 10:53 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

The reality is we use these things on offroad surfaces and loosen our slippers. So outside of maybe stock racing a bit of punch isn't going to matter.

I think your choices to change stuff are the right way to go. I would however consider a 7.5 or even an 8.5 motor over the 6.5, for outdoor offroad I prefer my 7.5. However if its mainly a basher go for it whats the worst that can happen.

I run the 3200s and they work great for me but I have 3 of them if I was only going to have one battery it would be a 4800.
Old 03-07-2008, 11:09 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

You obviously meant to be rude, reread your post and review your facts. Congrats on racing against these packs, I race with these packs.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.