R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 03-06-2008, 01:09 PM   #16
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leodis View Post
When Stallard speaks, Chuck Norris listens.
Hahahha lolz
Old 03-06-2008, 02:36 PM   #17
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I really like my Duratrax ICE. Even though I don't use it for lipos, it is a good deal for a good charger. It charges everything in case you need it to charge NiMH packs.
dougyunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 05:56 PM   #18
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 65 (99%+)

Hyperions are great because they can do a variety of battery types, even if you switch to lipo you may still need to charge nimh or nicds. they are very well priced also. if you want just a lipo charger then try the thunderpower which i have found to be exceptional and have many functions. i have a few different options and priced to move.

http://www.bulldawgrc.com/nilich.html
Team Driver for: Proline, Team Epic/Trinity, Hex Crew, Bulldawg R/C, Speed Demon Hobbies ~~~~TEAM CRUNCHY~~~~
Bulldawg RC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 06:47 PM   #19
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 73 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldawg RC View Post
Hyperions are great because they can do a variety of battery types, even if you switch to lipo you may still need to charge nimh or nicds. they are very well priced also. if you want just a lipo charger then try the thunderpower which i have found to be exceptional and have many functions. i have a few different options and priced to move.

http://www.bulldawgrc.com/nilich.html
Have you sold any of the Trakpower chargers yet? What do you think about them?
skelly1344 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 08:43 PM   #20
Tech Master

yes i have, i think they serve their purpose for certain circumstances. small, compact, lightweight. you still have to use the trakpower v-balancer with it. remember that it is a dc charger. i personally just use the trakpower V-balancer with my charger. the v balancer is very easy to use and works great.

http://www.BulldawgRC.com
Team Driver for: Proline, Team Epic/Trinity, Hex Crew, Bulldawg R/C, Speed Demon Hobbies ~~~~TEAM CRUNCHY~~~~
Old 03-06-2008, 08:56 PM   #21
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
yes i have, i think they serve their purpose for certain circumstances. small, compact, lightweight. you still have to use the trakpower v-balancer with it. remember that it is a dc charger. i personally just use the trakpower V-balancer with my charger. the v balancer is very easy to use and works great.
The Trakpower charger just looks like a great alternative for someone just getting into Lipos, especially if they are running Trakpower or Orion/Peak packs and use the V-Balancer. Not everyone would want to go silly like myself:

Old 03-06-2008, 09:04 PM   #22
Tech Master

I LOVE GOOOOOOOOOOOOOLD!!! LOOKS ALOT LIKE MY SET UP. I LOVE IT. SO FAR I HAVE BEEN GETTING GREAT FEEDBACK FROM EVERYONE WHO HAS PURCHASED THE TRAKPOWER BATTERIES AND ELECTRONICS FROM ME. DON'T GO GREEN, GO GOLD!!!

Old 03-06-2008, 09:10 PM   #23
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
I LOVE GOOOOOOOOOOOOOLD!!! LOOKS ALOT LIKE MY SET UP. I LOVE IT. SO FAR I HAVE BEEN GETTING GREAT FEEDBACK FROM EVERYONE WHO HAS PURCHASED THE TRAKPOWER BATTERIES AND ELECTRONICS FROM ME. DON'T GO GREEN, GO GOLD!!!
I use them in my 1/10ths and my converted 1/8th vehicles. I've had them for about a year now and love em. I've even got a local friend converted to Trakpower from those stone age NiMh's.
Old 03-06-2008, 09:16 PM   #24
Tech Master

i personally made the switch in my 4wd buggy not to long ago and i hate to say it but i won't be looking back at nimh in that buggy. the power that i get from these trakpower lipo's is unreal. i run 2 heats easily on one battery. i don't have to re-peak cells or any of that time wasting nonsense that i have done for so many years with nimh. don't get me wrong, nimh has its place in many applications but for 1/10th scale lipo is the way to go.

Old 05-30-2008, 12:22 PM   #25
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default Losi LiPo Balancing leads

Does anybody know what kind of balancing connector is on the Losi 5000MaH LiPo?

I have a Hyperion charger and I need to know which balancing harness fits.

Thanks for the help.
hashoobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2008, 11:15 PM   #26
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 147 (100%+)

i run the TRAKPOWER LIPO 5400MAH 3 CELL, and i have an ice charger, what happens if i charge it without a balancer??? i charge it at 5amps on the ice, it that good or bad??? sorry for the newbe questions i usually only race nitro.......and just getting in to this lipo stuff............
nobike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 12:16 AM   #27
Tech Fanatic

I already have an ICE but i picked up a Orion Avionics advantage today. Great little charger. I actually really like the Ice for NImh with the step charging, helps with my packs that have been sitting for a while. The Orion is nice and small and simple, works great with the Lipos.
" Go that way really fast, if something gets in your way, turn"
tcmerf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 07:08 AM   #28
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 240 (100%+)

For your 5400 pack, 5amps should be fine as its less than the 1C rating that is usually safe for all packs. (5.4 Amps would be your 1C setting). Your pack may just take slightly longer to charge.

As for charging without a balancer, really depends. If the cells stay within balance of each other, you should be fine. I was told something once that can help that stay that way, how true it is I don't know so take that as a grain of salt. What I was told was as you discharge your packs closer to 3V per cell, they have more tendency to lose balance with each other. You get better pack life ultimately with a higher cutoff setting like 3.2V - 3.3V per cell. I usually use 3.2V to 3.3V per cell right now for my packs as I run them in 1/8 scale and monster truck applications.

Setting up a balancer for your lipos like trakpowers isn't that hard. there are a few threads here that shows how to create them. I would say for the money you spend on the packs, I think building a $10 (if that) balancing adapter isn't a big deal.

As for chargers, I have had the MRC989, Hyperion 610i-Net, and now the Hyperion Duo version, and I think the Hyperion's for all the features they have are excellent for the money. They give a lot of data back to you, and I like the checks it does prior to charging.

The Hyperion Duo is simply awesome since you can charge two packs together as one unit, or, charge two seperate and completely different packs at the same time, or start one and then later pop on another, etc. Amazing charger.
Old 06-01-2008, 08:00 AM   #29
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

i got myself a hyperion 610 net its worth the money
my point of view, good thing bout the charger is it charges almost every batt
like nicd, nimh, lipo, lion and pb and has built in balancer.
plus this thing is able to update software if there is any update that is.
when charging you can check on tha batt status
cons is that this is more of an advance lipo charger
cause it dosent do discharging and you have got to get a power supply

why i chose the 610i over the 606i is that
add another +/- $40 you can get a future proof charger
which can store memory of your batt profiles
and like what jeckler said its "5 times more power and the ability to network two of them together."
mog ruith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 09:32 AM   #30
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Has anyone tried charging lipos using their muchmore ctx-c?

Peak at the right time ....
Teinsports is offline   Reply With Quote