Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Anyone has 4 wheel steering set up please give advice

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2008, 12:16 PM
Tech Rookie

Questions?? Anyone has 4 wheel steering set up please give advice

Hi, I am thinking about setting up 4 wheel steering on WK, with 1 servo. Which means the wheels turn at the same time, but front and rear towards different dirction. Can anyone who has this kinda setup or attempted, give some advice if this is a good idea or not. Thanks.
Old 02-27-2008, 06:27 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Old Kyosho buggies have this. I think the Kyosho Gallop among others. I've never driven one but have seen them. Interesting but with all the moving parts, there's quite a bit of steering slop. I think they phased out the 4ws buggies when the Optima series came out in the late 1980's.
Old 02-27-2008, 06:32 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jayliu1984
Hi, I am thinking about setting up 4 wheel steering on WK, with 1 servo. Which means the wheels turn at the same time, but front and rear towards different dirction. Can anyone who has this kinda setup or attempted, give some advice if this is a good idea or not. Thanks.
4WS' main advantage is allowing massive steering ratio at low speed, but in return, it makes the vehicle extremely touchy and unstable at high speed cornering. If you are planning to use it for rock crawling, it's a matter of personal preference. The Tamiya Hi-Lift gives builders an option to use 4WS by exchanging a turnbuckle while using only one steering servo, and I really think it's useless after I tried it.
Old 02-28-2008, 12:23 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

i have a mid 90's 4ws Tamyia U.S.A i believe it is hard to tell because you cant find parts for them that easy, but it has two servos for steering. to me if you are wanting one servo to do all the work of steering you are going to burn it out pretty quick. my suggestion is use dual servos less strain on one servo. but like the guy above mensioned high speed cornering will be tough. turn really fast and be very touchy. my advise like others would probably say is use it for rock crawling. rock crawlers use dual servos. at least the ones i haev seen.
Old 02-28-2008, 12:30 AM
Tech Regular

try the traxxas forums under e-maxx. i beleieve some guys there have experience with that set up.
Old 02-28-2008, 03:47 AM
Tech Rookie

I did my Savage with a second servo..is it good or not depends on what you would like to do..It is kinda cool for a minute doing cab walks and super tight turns. I had a switch to turn the rear steer servo off/with/opposite the fronts on my controller
Any way it is very unstable at speed and I had to tune all but a very little and at a slower servo speed..and it worked ok.

Now I run the steer arm locked but the servo saver still allows the tires to move. They give just a little on hard turn in. I may get back to it again ...

Here is more than too much other info..
http://www.savage-central.com/module...ms&file=search
"cabbie" made a single servo linkage one that was great
http://www.savage-central.com/module...ar+wheel+steer
Old 02-28-2008, 09:00 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)
Default b

Dont waste your time, go to rcguy.com and get two of their servo relocater plate and use the traxxass 3 channel radio system to steer the rear when you need to.