Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Looking for Sand Tires >

Looking for Sand Tires

Looking for Sand Tires

Old 02-27-2008, 10:11 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Looking for Sand Tires

I Custom built a rc10 tube based sand buggy and finally completed it... the biggest biggest biggest problem ive been having is finding buggy tires... I am looking for the rears similiar to what i have no in the attachment, basically a Sand paddle 2.2" Buggy Size..

I know these manufacturers make paddle tires, for TRUCKS, but does ANYONE know of a place or car that has a 2.2" paddle tire appropriate for a buggy?

Panther Makes paddles for a truck
Proline makes a staggered paddle and solid paddle for trucks
HPI makes a aggresive paddle for a truck

The tires on the car right now are TMS tires (from the 80's/early 90's), they were later bought by duratrax who produced them for a very short time before they got bought out by hobbico/great planes?

I contact duratrax looking for old stock, which they said they are long gone, and i offered to buy the molds but they said they arent for sale.

Honestly i dont guy why manufacturers havent made "fun" tires for a long time.. everything is race based... Even looking for a "large knobby" tire is almost impossible to find for a buggy.

Anyway if anyone knows of a place/source for these, please let me know as i would like to find a few sets for other buggies i am working on!

thanks!
Attached Thumbnails Looking for Sand Tires-p2030085.jpg  
Old 02-28-2008, 01:36 AM
Tech Regular

hpi makes a sandthrower tire

proline makes a couple; sandpaw, slingshot and paddle tire
Old 02-28-2008, 02:18 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Would T4 cvd's fit on your buggy?, maybe just using the axle? If so, the you could run the truck rear tires.
Old 02-28-2008, 04:56 AM
Tech Rookie

these might work
wheels and tires
http://cgi.ebay.com/Grasshopper-Sand...QQcmdZViewItem

just tires and specs
http://cgi.ebay.com/REAR-TYRES-Sand-...QQcmdZViewItem
Old 02-28-2008, 08:28 AM
Tech Rookie

i tryed the tamiya tires originally, and other than having problems finding a wheel and axle convertor, they are a bit small for the car unfortunetly
Old 02-28-2008, 08:29 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by gatermaxx View Post
Would T4 cvd's fit on your buggy?, maybe just using the axle? If so, the you could run the truck rear tires.
well i dont need a t4 cvd to use truck tires, i can mount up truck rims and tires no problem, but they look absolutely ridiculous on a buggy, like WAYY too large and oversized unfortunetly, believe me, ive tryed lol
Old 10-28-2009, 07:51 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Can anyone post up a picture of a 10th buggy with paddle tires?

I want to see what a 10th scale 4WD buggy looks like with 4 truck rear tires mounted. (if they are paddles, thats a bonus)
Old 10-29-2009, 02:05 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mikedealer View Post
I Custom built a rc10 tube based sand buggy and finally completed it... the biggest biggest biggest problem ive been having is finding buggy tires... I am looking for the rears similiar to what i have no in the attachment, basically a Sand paddle 2.2" Buggy Size..

I know these manufacturers make paddle tires, for TRUCKS, but does ANYONE know of a place or car that has a 2.2" paddle tire appropriate for a buggy?

Panther Makes paddles for a truck
Proline makes a staggered paddle and solid paddle for trucks
HPI makes a aggresive paddle for a truck

The tires on the car right now are TMS tires (from the 80's/early 90's), they were later bought by duratrax who produced them for a very short time before they got bought out by hobbico/great planes?

I contact duratrax looking for old stock, which they said they are long gone, and i offered to buy the molds but they said they arent for sale.

Honestly i dont guy why manufacturers havent made "fun" tires for a long time.. everything is race based... Even looking for a "large knobby" tire is almost impossible to find for a buggy.

Anyway if anyone knows of a place/source for these, please let me know as i would like to find a few sets for other buggies i am working on!

thanks!
Sorry, I'm a bit useless in this department, but wanted to comment on your tube-based RC10...

BEAUTIFUL! Do you have more pics or a project page? I saw a Reader's Ride in RCCA a few years back about a tube-based chassis with B4 components, and I've always wanted one of those...

How do you make these? Do you simply pick up some brass tubing from the Hobby Store and braze (solder) them together?
Old 10-29-2009, 02:18 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Proline Slingshot buggy paddles. The problem is, they stopped production in 2006.

But you can order 200 pairs!

http://www.beatyourtruck.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=52796

Or dig up this buyer and make him an offer he can't refuse: http://www.rctech.net/forum/r-c-item...tires-new.html

Try here: http://www.quicktechhobby.com/Mercha...Code=PRO901900

Maybe you could use these: (still for a truck though)

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...-22-30-Tires-2

EDIT: Might be your lucky day! Guess he still has the paddles:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1120822

Old 10-29-2009, 11:20 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Wow,
Thank you for the research!
But the tires we are talking about in this thread is for 10th scale.

What does a 4wd buggy like XXX4 or B44 or lazer ZX-5 look like with truck rear in all 4?