R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 02-26-2008, 01:51 PM   #1
Tech Rookie

Questions?? Losi XXX-T Transmission

Hello,

I am fairly new so I have a few questions about my transmission. I recently got a novak 5.5 motor for my losi, and thought I would clean up the transmission and see if anything needs replacing. I took it all apart, now my only problem is I don't know how much I need to tighten down the outdrive cups onto the differential gear with the differential balls. Is there a general rule of thumb for how tight to make that?

Also, how bout how tight the slipper nut should be? Should it slip at all when I give it full throttle from rest?

Thanks for any info.
cantari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 01:54 PM   #2
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

All that should be covered in the manual. General rule is tighten the diff down pretty snug (all the way without using excess force that will damage thrust bearing) and then go back about 1/8th of a turn. Slipper the same thing...Compress the spring all the way and then back it out about 4 turns....Good starting point.
Old 02-26-2008, 03:37 PM   #3
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

yeah thats just about what i do but with the slipper i back it out 2 turns but 4 turns will sstill work
superdave2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 06:50 PM   #4
Super Moderator
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Agree, but be careful to not overtighten the diff before backing it out. Stop as soon as it bottoms out, then back off 1/8, maybe slightly more.

A double check once it's together that works well for me anyway: Disengage motor, slide back, take of pinion, etc. Either hold both wheels securely, or I just stick a wrench into each outdrive slot. Then try and turn the spur with your thumb. The slipper should be fairly difficult to slip, and should DEFINITELY slip without the diff slipping. This has been in some of the manuals too, but I think some of the old ones.

And yeah, then at least on a high traction surface the slipper should slip some for a couple of feet. No more.

Listen for a "barking" sound. Very bad, slipping diff, means ya gotta start over!

Good luck!
Dave H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 07:49 PM   #5
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Diff

If you want to build a diff that wont melt or be too tight follow these instructions. I do mine like this & never have a problem with mine & I don't have to rebuild it often.
When you build your diff just snug it up work it with your fingers & maybe snug it again. Then put it in your transmission & install in the truck. This next step is the trick!!!!
Tighten your slipper nut all the way tight, then back it off 4 1/2 to 5 turns.
Then adjust the diff check it by holding the right wheel & spur gear, turn the left wheel. If the slipper does not slip then it's too loose. TIGHTEN YOUR DIFF UNTIL THE SLIPPER SLIPS. If you tighten your slipper recheck your diff.
If your slipper slips before your diff you will never burn it up or have it too tight.
Ansel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 04:41 AM   #6
Super Moderator
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Oh, and with either of the in car checks mentioned, recheck after the first run, then maybe again after a couple more.
Dave H is offline   Reply With Quote