R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 02-26-2008, 06:26 PM   #16
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMcpot View Post
Haven't found any posts by you in the BX thread...good, bad, or otherwise. Care to explain why the Kyosho's better?

To the OP, I'd suggest skimming the threads on all the cars you're considering; you'll get a detailed idea as to what problems everyone is having instead of a handful of sometimes biased opinions from whomever should take the time to post an answer in your thread.

Current ones are: Academy SB, Associated B44, J Concepts BJ4, X Factory X5, Tamiya 501X, Yokomo MR4BX, TTech (Xtreme) Predator, HB D4, Kyosho ZX5, Losi XX4 (discontinued, but parts are supposedly still available) and XXX4.
Relax, It was a dig on a fellow racer i race with. They are all sweet fourwheels. All have plus and minus. Read my first post. Can't wait to see/try his new yoke.
Old 02-26-2008, 06:33 PM   #17
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RB FIVE View Post
Relax, It was a dig on a fellow racer i race with. They are all sweet fourwheels. All have plus and minus. Read my first post. Can't wait to see/try his new yoke.
Who says I'm going to let you drive it? You'll see it as it goes past you.

Just screwing around, I can't wait till it gets here.
Old 02-26-2008, 07:07 PM   #18
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 25 (96%+)
Send a message via MSN to Dasupacat1

Quote:
Originally Posted by damn-yankee View Post
The HB D4 is a very good buggy. The 'worlds edition' kit is due out in late March and they're dropping the price to around $375. The D4 is much more durable than my B44. They're both great buggys. Handling is very similar, but the D4 is built tougher and the fit and finish of the D4 parts is WAY better than AE. IMO, the D4 is right up there with Xray in fit and finish.

Really you can't go wrong with any of the new 4wd's. Like everyone says, "get whatever one your LHS carrys parts for"... good luck
D4 more durable than a B44? I think not. I've raced my B44 for 2 mo. and just broke a front arm. I got spun on a straight and was facing the wrong way when I got hit by a XX4 head on at full speed. He broke a chassis.
If price doesn't make a difference than any wheeler out there will work great. If your on a budget than the B44 is the way to go.
Dasupacat1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 07:35 PM   #19
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DekelzMan View Post
Thanks for the info guys.

Foolio, I apologize for taking up your valuable time.

Mick
Apology accepted.
foolio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 07:38 PM   #20
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by SQC049 View Post
Who says I'm going to let you drive it? You'll see it as it goes past you.

Just screwing around, I can't wait till it gets here.
Still want my set-up ?

Got the Rb5 dialed...... similar to your set-up...... - the push. Dialed 13/5:23.99's all day......
Old 02-26-2008, 08:00 PM   #21
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 28 (97%+)

Quote:
Care to explain why the Kyosho's better?
For dusty Canadian tracks (we typically don't run on blur groove or clay tracks, I assume it is the same on the west coast) I have the following comments on the three that I have owned:

Yokomo MR4-BXF

- snapped belt every now and then (not too often, but still annoying)
- dirt packed in the pulley teeth easily and often
- grit seeping into the diffs (front one wasn't too bad, but the rear was horrible even with dust shields installed over the diffs and foam around the openings)
- I had over heating problems even with loose belts and properly geared motors
- you need to be your own hobby shop. I was the only guy running one

On the plus side:
+ bomb proof front end
+ nice suspension/handling

Overall a nice car but just too much damn work.

BJ4WE (or B44)

+ great parts support
+ great handling
+ nice spacious layout
+ sealed drivetrain

- very fragile front arms
- fragile front tower

Great car, low maintenance but I got sick of all the front arms broken over the smallest clips.

The Lazer SP:

+ great suspension
+ sealed drivetrain stays smooth for months
+ if you race 2wd as well your stick packs are good (in my case I only need 4 Orion LiPo stick packs for a whole race weekend for 2 cars)
+ parts support is getting better and better

- slightly weaker front end (than the Yoke) perhaps

Great car, low maintenance as well. Not having to own saddle packs as well is golden for me.

.:Team Orion : JConcepts : B-Fast RC:.
johnnyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 08:00 PM   #22
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RB FIVE View Post
Not sure what your initial post has to do with it, but in that case, I'm sure your *follow-up* post was very useful to the guy that started the thread

And I'm very relaxed

*edited

Last edited by SMcpot; 02-26-2008 at 08:22 PM.
SMcpot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 08:21 PM   #23
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 65 (99%+)

depends on how much money you want to spend also, sometimes it may be better to buy a used buggy and just test out the class and see whether or not you like it. i know the 4wd class was and is popular but i must admit that at my local track, guys are dropping because of how fragile they are compared to 1/8 scale. i personally love the 1/10 scale 4wd class and i am still running a XXX4. the losi is a bit too fragile and i would recommend possibly another car but it does drive very well. also check to see what the guys are running at your track so that you don't have to buy every spare part known to man. good luck and welcome back.

http://www.BulldawgRC.com
Team Driver for: Proline, Team Epic/Trinity, Hex Crew, Bulldawg R/C, Speed Demon Hobbies ~~~~TEAM CRUNCHY~~~~
Bulldawg RC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 08:49 PM   #24
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to AxiomJacob

B44 is the way to go. Very reliable, strong and fast.

Proline Racing
AxiomJacob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 09:05 PM   #25
Suspended

Thumbs up TEAM LOSI RACING RULES!

1.XX4 used if you can find one.

2.B44 make sure to seal the carbon fibre part an maybe double up the front shock tower.

3.Yokomo great handling car ,parts are a pain to find have to order everything online pain in the ass.

4.Kyosho handles very well with some work,also works great with the stock chassis or the saddle pack chassis and yes parts are getting easier to get.

5.HotBodies D4 only seen three run now and they looked hooked up.

6.BJ4 great car looks awesome on track!

7.MrC Academy this car looks like a winner only seen one run so far but sure looks nice!

I believe the 4wd drive cars are for drivers with experience,if your getting back into the racing scene i'd start with a 2wd honestly! MY 0.02 CENTS!

GOOD LUCK!

"B44 BOMBER IFMAR CHAMPION"
losidriver70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 06:35 AM   #26
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Quote:
Not sure what your initial post has to do with it, but in that case, I'm sure your *follow-up* post was very useful to the guy that started the thread

And I'm very relaxed

*edited
You need to remove the large pointy object that is obviously jammed up your rectum. I said the Mr-4BX was the best, he made a joke directed at me. Who gives a shit if it helps the guy who originally posted a questions that has been answered 400 times before.

90% of the post on this forum are useless, why are you coming down on this guy?
Old 02-27-2008, 07:00 AM   #27
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Yeah, I'm not sure why everyone got so upset about this guy's question, if it bothers you, don't open the thread.

But in all seriousness, if you're getting back into the hobby after 15 years, spend a couple days going to local tracks and see what there is more of and see what the fast guys are driving. Like a lot of people above have said, there are a LOT of competitive 4wds out now, it's no longer two or three companies. Of course I'm going to recommend the Hot Bodies D4 (www.hotbodiesonline.net) but most of the competitors are all very good as well.

Good luck with whatever you choose!
Old 02-27-2008, 08:22 AM   #28
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by SQC049 View Post
You need to remove the large pointy object that is obviously jammed up your rectum. I said the Mr-4BX was the best, he made a joke directed at me. Who gives a shit if it helps the guy who originally posted a questions that has been answered 400 times before.

90% of the post on this forum are useless, why are you coming down on this guy?
Roflmao.......
Old 02-27-2008, 08:36 AM   #29
Suspended

Thumbs up HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dasupacat1 View Post
D4 more durable than a B44? I think not. I've raced my B44 for 2 mo. and just broke a front arm. I got spun on a straight and was facing the wrong way when I got hit by a XX4 head on at full speed. He broke a chassis.
If price doesn't make a difference than any wheeler out there will work great. If your on a budget than the B44 is the way to go.
Dude i don't think any 4wd rc car is a budget car because they are all weak,they are for driver's not basher's.

Especially during a practice session with moron's who think you are racing them just b/c they get passed!

!GOOD LUCK WITH YOUR CHOICE!
losidriver70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 09:06 AM   #30
Suspended

I'm just gonna pick the top 5 because it's just the way.

1)Associated B44
2) 501x WE
3) Predator X11
4) Kyosho Lazer Sp
5) Jconcepts Bj4 WE

This is just in no particular order, I like all 5 buggies. But I'm only gonna own the top 2.
I wish I could own all 5 but that's just too many, and Id be called a weirdo for owning all 5.
I''l be completley honest I wanted a BJ4 worlds edition but the waiting list was way too long.
I simply waited 2 years for associated to make thier 4wd buggy at a cheaper price. That's just as durable.
But after seeing my favorite company of all time make thier 501x Worlds Edition...
I was highly interested in running belt drive again, as I have an Rs4 Mt also which is belt drive.
Associated B44/Tamiya 501x WE
Off-road only!

Last edited by bmaglinger; 02-27-2008 at 09:25 AM.
bmaglinger is offline   Reply With Quote