help me!

Old 02-24-2008, 12:28 PM
Tech Rookie

Questions?? help me!

hey im new to rc cars and i need some help.

i live in a rocky, bumpy area and was wondering what kind of rc i should get?
Old 02-24-2008, 12:45 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

http://albinoblacksheep.com/flash/posting.php
Old 02-24-2008, 02:00 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

4x4, and something with alittle bit of ground clearance.
Old 02-24-2008, 02:22 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Mike Marshall
hahaahahahaha that is the funniest thing i have ever seen

i totaly agree!!!
Old 02-24-2008, 04:25 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

If you are wanting something to Bash in your back yard I would recomend a E-MAXX they are supported by the aftermaket like nothing else.If it were me it would be some kind of big truck,also I would stay away from all RC brands that are not well known or have not been around very long,there 2 problems with not very well known company's there stuff is usualy pretty cheesey,witch means known body is buying there stuff and not many after market companys support them.When I was in RC 8 years ago when I had a local hobby shop the owner carried some not very well known kits all I can say is the kits were never in short supply but the parts were close to impossible to get.
Old 02-24-2008, 05:22 PM
Tech Champion

Agree with everything Wade said. A off road truck is definitely a good starting point. My standard advice is get what your local hobby shop supports with parts. I don't have an Emaxx myself, but do know they are very popular, fairly durable, with good support and plenty of optional fun stuff available as Wade mentions. Just be sure that's true at your shop. Team whatever sucks if it doesn't run, and ya can't get parts!

Cheers!
Old 02-24-2008, 05:25 PM
Tech Champion

Oh, by the way Wade, didn't a new version just come out? No biggie, but it's always a drag to get a new toy, and then find out ya just bought yesterday's stuff! Not that there is anything really wrong with the previous one, but if it was my hard earned money I would want the new, or at least get a really good deal on the older one.

Good luck, and welcome to the insanity.
Old 02-24-2008, 06:41 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

traxxas new e-maxx should do it, 4x4 twin motor monster truck
possibly the associated b44, idk if yer gunna race
off road 2wd losi if you'd like
Old 02-24-2008, 10:17 PM
Tech Apprentice

Dave H not sure I had a Tmaxx but never a Emaxx.J ROD if you do get the an Emaxx get rid of the plastic drive shafts.They may have finaly made bulltet proof ones now but I do not know,what I do know is they made 3 versions of the plastic drive shafts or slider shafts as they are better known as for Tmaxx and to put it mildly they were SHIT other than that not a bad kit,also they do make there own metal drive shafts and Traxxas always made some of the best hop parts if not the best for there kits.it not not a money grab to get you to buy the EMAXX and give you crap drive shafts some they can sell you one's that cost more it's a cost thing,you can pay more for the kit and have to wait to save more to buy it and go play.The plastic ones will stand up not to bad if you do grab a bunch of throttle from a dead stop and pull slow and gentle on the trigger.If you are starting out new to the hobby do not buy a kit from a company just starting unless it is a proven winner on the sales charts and everyone and his brother has one.Why you may ask if you were a aftermarket company making parts for RC cars would you make parts for the worst selling kits or the best selling kits,what that means for you is if you get a kit that does not sell well you may not be able to get a better part that for your car that is a problem and fails all time,and if the maker of the kit will not resolve the issuse with the part failure by making a new and better part you will be screwed trust me it happened to me once and olny once when I was starting out.also if you are concerned with the issuse of wether you will be getting the latest version of a kit when you decided first ask on all the forums you can find what are the known weak links in this car,then call the maker they may tell you to wait a month or 2 because they are bringing out a revised version of the kit you are looking for.I did that one time and got a kit that had a 150.00 bucks worth of upgrades,because they were not making the basic kit I wanted anymore because people were wanting a car with more upgrades out the box.also do not take your hobby shops word on wether it is a good kit or not there a alot of Tard Monkeys that own hobby shops that fly and sell planes and do not know anything about cars or even care so long as they get your money.Make sure you know for sure wether or not your hobby shop knows what they are talking about ,what I would do is if you are new to the hobby decide on the kit you want go to a shop you would like to buy from and go in after doing some research on the kit ask him if the kit has a ball diff or a gear diff if he says it has a gear diff and you know it has a ball diff you know he might not know as much as he is letting on,you get the Idea.Also if you are not wanting to do mail order for your parts look and see if he has many parts on his shelf for the kit you are wanting to get.Also try to find out who his distributors are I would not ask this directly because he may think you are trying to spy on him for a rival shop or you may have another motive for asking,just do this ask him if he can get duratrax and hobbico and dynamite products if he says yes to these questions he is dealing with the 2 biggest distributors there are,hobbico,and duratrax are brands that known one else carrys other than great planes and dynamite is carried by olny horizon it is there own brand name that they and olny they sell dircectly to hobby shops.
Old 02-25-2008, 09:12 AM
Tech Apprentice

I would reccomend if you get a Traxxas kit get a hex type screw set for your kit the star head screws they supply in the car suck.Plus the other problem with there star heads is there made china,hong kong or where ever it is and the angel they use is different from the the usa and canada's standard they use a screw head that they call a pozi it looks just like a star and is a star head just a different angel.Plus I'm not to sure if they are very hard screws the socket head screws they included in my nitro stampede and Tmaxx for bolting the motor to the mounts were crap,the heads strip and I have never had any other brand of cap head strip before other than there's.On a cap head the threads should strip before the head unless it is a button head or flat head.If you wat a good hex wrench set get a dynamite set.