R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 02-23-2008, 03:57 PM   #1
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default Starting in dirt

my indoor track closed this past fall but I have an outdoor track that is a 1/2 mile away.

I am considering switching to dirt, due to proximity of tracks near me.

Keeping in mind, I am setup for electric but run only once a month. I never seem to have fresh batteries.

1.) Truck or Buggy or Truggy
2.) Elec or Gas, keep in mind my frequency of racing.
3.) What scale is most popular to run
4.) Preference on brand would like to stay at 500 range
5.) would you buy a used vehicle as a first purchase or start with new

I have posted in nitro-off road as well.
butrflynlambie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 05:08 PM   #2
Tech Addict

You should buy a buggy. I have a truck and i love it. But you would have more fun with a buggy.
Old 02-23-2008, 06:28 PM   #3
Super Moderator
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Sounds like you need to go hang out at YOUR local tracks to see what is popular there. No universal answer. When starting out, the correct vehicle brand is the one that most guys at the track run, and the most important the one that your local hobby shop stocks parts for. My old whatever with parts available beats your Team anything thats broke and you don't have the parts for! And if you run something common at the track, better chance at getting good advice, or emergency parts during the race day.

Occasional running, electrics store better. Nitro is very corrosive. You mention fresh batteries, read up on the new lipos, they store great, especially at half charge, and you really only need one to race with. But do your research first, they need a correct charger.

Good luck!
Dave H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 06:43 PM   #4
Tech Adept

Store stocks Losi and Team AE. Scale for the track is 1/8 or 1/10.

If electric I would like to get a brushless system. I am trying to figure out if the size of the lipo and brushless system will fit.

Is brushless to big for the 1/10th scale? Lipo won't fit I would think.

http://www.losi.com/Products/Feature...rodID=LOSA0015

http://www.teamassociated.com/ae/b44/b44_home.htm

Thanks for the help
Old 02-23-2008, 07:57 PM   #5
Super Moderator

OK good start. AE and Losi are Ford/Chevy. Both very competitive, I'm a Losi schmuck myself, but I'm not claiming any superiority. The best driver/preparer will win with either. Don't worry about who won whatever big race unless that really bothers your pride.

Brushless is an excellent system for 10th. I'm in the process of switching vehicles over myself. 2 main types, sensored and sensorless. Opinions differ, but most racers use sensored, better low speed control and smoothness. Most common is Novak and LRP, at least in my area (Michigan). Sensorless has an edge in outright speed, popular for goofing around. Think Castle Creations, the Mamba line. New ROAR rules require sensored for stock, mod is run what ya brung.

Lipos are exploding in popularity in 10th scale. ROAR, and some non ROAR tracks require a "hard case" lipo for safety. But many local tracks don't and guys run them. I figure go hard case so your covered. The most common hard cases are Orion, top quality, the first I think to make a proper race pack. FlightPower is huge in plane lipos, top quality, they now have a similar line under the TrakPower name. I have each, love them both, want more. Another big name is MaxAmps, owned by Traxxas. They have just recently started offering a hard case option.

The thing to look for in a lipo is the C rating, look for 20 to 25C for a good race pack. Ability to deliver lots of current and thus power. And be SURE to get a proper Lipo charger, this is CRITICAL! Preferably a balancer. Don't discharge them all the way down. Do some research, the manufacturers web sites, and this site have a ton of info. Advise if you need directions.

Good luck!
Old 02-23-2008, 08:14 PM   #6
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

team losi xxx-t cr stadium truck owns (2wd)
associated's factory team b44 buggy is super awesome (4wd)
team losi xxx-cr buggy is sweet (2wd)

it all depends on your preferance and what the people are doing at that other dirt track.

all i've listed are very high quality racing eletric kits
not home is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 08:16 PM   #7
Super Moderator

Whoops, didn't answer the size question. For Novak its the regular GTB, not the High Voltage one. Or the sport level XBR if you don't plan on running really hot motors. GTB is probably the most common.

I'm not sure, but I think all LRPs are 10th scale. Castle Creations, you want the Mamba Max, or the sport level Sidewinder. Mamba is for minis, 1/18th scale.

All of the Orions and TrakPowers fit, no problem that I have seen. I think the correct MaxAmps is the 6000 2s. 2s meaning 7.4 volts nominal. Unless it's a saddle pack set up, think AE B44 four wheel drive, but TrakPower has one for that too. So does MaxAmps, but I'm not as sure regarding fit on any saddle.
Old 02-23-2008, 08:37 PM   #8
Tech Adept

This is a losi 1/10 scale. I will have to check if the electronics (brushless) will fit.

http://www.losi.com/Products/Feature...rodId=LOSA0015

There is a losi 8ight 1/8 scale but I don't think it comes in an elec version.

thanks for the help
Old 02-23-2008, 09:08 PM   #9
Tech Addict

Thats a good buggy. Some guys at the track i go to run that buggy. brushless will fit.
Old 02-23-2008, 09:26 PM   #10
Super Moderator

Cool, 4 wheeler. Don't have one myself, my previous rambles were based on 2wd bug and truck. But I think you are fine as just mentioned. If I understand correctly the brushless motor is a little longer and a tight fit, but a fit.

Also if I understand correctly, and see the picture right, this ride has battery cell cutouts, not just a flat floor like the 2wd stuff. So consider the Orion 3600, it has fake little cell bumps to help it sit securely in these chassis. The TrakPower, MaxAmps, and the Orion 4800 do not, not sure about the Orion 3200. Remember I'm not sure, don't have the 4wd myself, but that's what I understand to be the case.
Old 02-24-2008, 09:20 AM   #11
Super Moderator

And yeah, 1/8 scale electrics are the new hot thing. Brushless with 4 cell lipos, 14.4 volts generally, 2 1/10 scale packs, but guys are also trying all kinds of setups. They are all conversions as far as I have seen so far, Novak is even offering conversion kits now. The ones in our area are home brewed, one local store owner is selling kits he makes.

And they are wicked fast, hard to convey, ya gotta see for yourself. At first they would run with the 1/8 scale nitros. But now that they are getting them sorted out, they can't because the smoke and fume crowd are tired of getting whipped by the little electric guys! I watched one of our local nationally competitive racers in both types try one out. Not just a fast guy but really smooth, he had trouble with it at first, and was awestruck too.

But 500 is just the down payment, they got what has to be over a grand in these suckers. Or I would be talking about MINE, not theirs!

Cheers.
Old 02-24-2008, 09:27 AM   #12
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

and a faint voice wispers losi ..........................................

lxt oval/xxt stock/xxxt stock/strike stock/hawk 2 oval shelfer/raven buggy dragcar
losi god is offline   Reply With Quote