R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 02-22-2008, 11:59 PM   #1
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to cheesecake
Default charging lipos

im going to be buying some orion 3200 lipos and i have a original triton and it hads a charge rate of 2.5 amps max will it be fine for those lipos to be charged at a lower rate then reccomended
cheesecake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 12:02 AM   #2
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Yes it's fine... it will just take a little longer to charge than if it could do 3.2 amps (1c rate for the 3200)
glassdoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 12:03 AM   #3
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to cheesecake

ok cool that doesnt bother me i was just making sure there wouldnt be any ill affects
cheesecake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 12:06 AM   #4
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

btw, a "dead" 3200 would take @ 1 hour to fully charge at 3.2amps

It will take about 1.5hrs to charge the same pack at 2.5 amps
glassdoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 12:10 AM   #5
Suspended

Questions?? TEAM LOSI RACING RULES!

Do you have to balance, everytime the battery is being charged??
losidriver70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 12:19 AM   #6
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 254 (100%+)

The Orion packs say they do not to be balanced every charge. I used the Orion packs the first few weeks without a balancer and they never got out of balance. Now that I have a balancer I just use the charge through method everytime just to be safe.

Here is the balancer I use with the ICE charger:
http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...ducts_id/12576
Michael#81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 12:23 AM   #7
Suspended

Questions?? TEAM LOSI RACING RULES!

yep i got the same balancer ,but have the orion avionix charger.i was just curious b/c somebody at my local track today said that that would ruin the packs not good for them everytime!
Old 02-23-2008, 12:28 AM   #8
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 254 (100%+)

That I am not sure about. I have talked to a lot of Heli guys and Air guys that have been using Lipo for a couple of years and they say that it will hurt the battery if you let them go out of balance while charging.

I know that I can tell a difference in the battery if I charge it through with the balancer and just charging and not balancing it. They last about the same as far as runtime but the battery that I charge with the balancer attached has a little more snap to it.
Michael#81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 12:34 AM   #9
Suspended

Lightbulb TEAM LOSI RACING RULES!

sweet man.thank you for the advice im new to the lipo thingy as well so they fill the same to me when i charge them both ways maybe little more snap with balanced pack than the but it is hard to tell my pack are only a few weeks old so i rotate them for each qualifier and just repeak everytime!
Old 02-23-2008, 12:41 AM   #10
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 26 (96%+)

Using a balancer will give the packs more power. Once they hit 4.2 volts per cell the voltage will rapidly increase. This will cause the pack to peak too soon if one cell charged slower then the other.
party_wagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 04:20 AM   #11
Super Moderator
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

I'm a little new to the lipo thing myself, but I've tried to do a lot of research before plunging in.

Not sure about the more punch claim if a balancer is used. Are you saying that only if the cells are out of balance, thus one is not fully charged? In which case I definitetly understand. Any impact if we assume for the moment that they are balanced?

Certainly adds to safety long term. Regarding safety, until you do get a balancer, do you have a voltmeter? Well ya should anyway IMHO. If so occasionaly check the individual cell voltages, before charging and especially during the latter part of the charge cycle. Use the little port in the middle, and across to each big plug to check each of the 2 cells. DON'T let either get above 4.2 volts! And check the volts before charging, they should be damn equal. Oh, and be careful, don't short a cell by being careless with ya meter probes!

Take with a grain of salt, but what I am being told is the the cells are inherently fairly stable, which is one of the reasons we like 'em. Orion matches them, and there is only 2 of them, so they tend to stay fairly well balanced. Once they aren't, at least for semi serious and above racing they are past their prime anyway. The fly guys frequently use 6 or more cells, and that market doesn't have the history of paying for balancing. Just a lot more chances for mayhem. So then very important.

Not that I don't recommend balancing, I'm in the market myself, trying to decide if I just add charge through balancers to what I got, or start over with balance chargers. My team is expanding, Ill probably end up trying both!

Cheers.
Dave H is offline   Reply With Quote