Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 02-23-2008, 09:26 AM   #16
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 17nut View Post
In my opion Associated makes a better tranny
the old stealth was king

lxt oval/xxt stock/xxxt stock/strike stock/hawk 2 oval shelfer/raven buggy dragcar
losi god is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 09:28 AM   #17
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 60 (100%+)

also heard a rumor Losi is throwing in the towel on 1/10 stadium truck racing does this hold any water?
Old 02-23-2008, 09:32 AM   #18
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
also heard a rumor Losi is throwing in the towel on 1/10 stadium truck racing does this hold any water?
there development is in 1/8 4wd buggy now

lxt oval/xxt stock/xxxt stock/strike stock/hawk 2 oval shelfer/raven buggy dragcar
losi god is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 09:10 AM   #19
Tech Master

Quote:
guess no one else heard that?????????????????????????????????????????????
Old 02-24-2008, 01:42 PM   #20
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Seem strange to me. They just released the CR about 6 months ago. Using that logic, do you say Associated threw in the towel years ago since they haven't updated the T4 in years? I think not.
Old 02-24-2008, 03:03 PM   #21
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Marshall View Post
Seem strange to me. They just released the CR about 6 months ago. Using that logic, do you say Associated threw in the towel years ago since they haven't updated the T4 in years? I think not.
no i do not say, like i posted it was a rumor i heard on another forum i hope it is not true. if LOSI folded their 1/10 truck efforts associated would probally have to follow due to lack of true competion. JMO. I wish KYOSHO would produce a 1/10 electric truck to be some more comp, not saying i would ever get rid of my T4 (i wouldn't) but it would be fun to race against other trucks
even if HPI, Duratrx, Traxxas and sportworks stepped their game up a little (ok maybe alot!!!) also i see Associated and Losi going 1/10 4x4 electric truck in the future (look foward to that) JMO
Old 02-29-2008, 10:24 PM   #22
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

I am just starting with off-road racing after doing on-road for about 4 years. I am also trying to decide between a FT T4 and a XXXT-CR. After just a little shopping, it looks like the Losi is about $40 more than the AE. I plan to run brushless/lipo, and I have heard the extra lenght of the Losi is a big help with this motor/battery combo.

Since I'm just starting, I'd imagine I would not know the difference in them while driving - but what would need to be changed from "stock" to get the truck right? Should I expect to replace shocks, turnbuckles, ball cups, ball studs, etc with either truck? If I am going to have to replace a bunch of stuff, would I be better off buying a lower level of one of these trucks (skip the FT for the normal T4, for example)? Or even going with a RTR and upgrading what's needed on it, or is it less expensive to buy a new kit, motor, esc, servo, etc than to buy an RTR and upgrades?

What I would normally think of as a good way to choose won't help in this case:
1 - I don't think parts availability will be an issue with either truck - I have a couple of good LHSs close by.
2 - There appears to be a mix of brands with local racers, so I don't think that will help me determine which way to go either.

Last edited by rctoyguy; 02-29-2008 at 10:26 PM. Reason: left something out I meant to mention.....
rctoyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 10:37 PM   #23
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Both trucks are pretty much race ready right out of the box. On the Losi truck Ti-Ball studs, especially on the rear hub carriers are needed. I ran the stock setup for awhile and could never really get it to turn as well as the T4. A few setup changes is all it needed and it was really dialed for me. I am not a brand loyal person, nor am I sponsored so I buy what I feel is the best value. To be honest you can’t go wrong with either. However, I recommend if you are going with the T4 to buy the Factory Team kit. By the time you add Ti turnbuckles the truck you are back to the price of the factory truck without all the other little goodies. I love my Losi and I won’t be giving it up any time soon. I didn’t add any hop ups other then the ball studs and it has proved to be a really strong reliable truck for me. Depending on where you are doing your shopping they are the very close to the same price. $234 at Losi Parts house. http://www.losipartshouse.com/servle...-RACING/Detail
Old 02-29-2008, 10:59 PM   #24
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to ChrisWolfson Send a message via Yahoo to ChrisWolfson Send a message via Skype™ to ChrisWolfson

Quote:
No, I don't think you have any worries there. Losi just came out with the XXXT CR - they won't just throw in the towel on a kit they just released. The XXX and XXXT platform are pretty time tested right now. There's not a ton of additional development needed at the moment. Losi will still be racing these cars and trucks...
Old 02-29-2008, 11:00 PM   #25
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to ChrisWolfson Send a message via Yahoo to ChrisWolfson Send a message via Skype™ to ChrisWolfson

Quote:
Originally Posted by rctoyguy View Post
I am just starting with off-road racing after doing on-road for about 4 years. I am also trying to decide between a FT T4 and a XXXT-CR. After just a little shopping, it looks like the Losi is about $40 more than the AE. I plan to run brushless/lipo, and I have heard the extra lenght of the Losi is a big help with this motor/battery combo.

Since I'm just starting, I'd imagine I would not know the difference in them while driving - but what would need to be changed from "stock" to get the truck right? Should I expect to replace shocks, turnbuckles, ball cups, ball studs, etc with either truck? If I am going to have to replace a bunch of stuff, would I be better off buying a lower level of one of these trucks (skip the FT for the normal T4, for example)? Or even going with a RTR and upgrading what's needed on it, or is it less expensive to buy a new kit, motor, esc, servo, etc than to buy an RTR and upgrades?

What I would normally think of as a good way to choose won't help in this case:
1 - I don't think parts availability will be an issue with either truck - I have a couple of good LHSs close by.
2 - There appears to be a mix of brands with local racers, so I don't think that will help me determine which way to go either.
Just what Mike Marshall says - you're good to go right out of the box. Obviously my preference is for the Losi truck.
Old 03-01-2008, 11:49 AM   #26
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 66 (100%+)

out of the box, I had a ft t4 and it was hooked up on a medium sized loose and dusty track. I havent driven the xxxtcr but had a mf2 and the t4 out of the box was better for me, but Im te type of person that doesnt like to make a bunch of adjustments and just wheel it. But I dont run truck anymore just run buggy and now i have a xxxcr but I havent ran it yet. I would run what ever is more popular at your track
Old 03-01-2008, 12:07 PM   #27
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

both are good trucks, i preffer the t4 as i like the way it steers and if you do the 1.5 oz lead weight mod (very easy very cheap it is on the AE forum) it gets great traction where ever and flies really well. both are good though
22 SCT 2.0 Exotek Hobbywing 3.1 Stock Spec Fantom
Tekno 410SCT Hobbywing ProSC
mugenlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 12:22 PM   #28
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 240 (100%+)

only concern I would have with the losi is the issue of guys snapping off ball studs in the rear aluminum carriers. that is what soured me on the vehicle. Other than that, everything else seemed to be along the lines of what I was wanting.

I went though with a T4 again as I have had them before in various configurations, and got a good deal on one.

Definitely didn't want the graphite though, wanting alittle more give in the suspension, and I am even looking at trying the GT2 front suspension on the T4 for more durability, especially with the possiblilty of running longer mains.