R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 02-18-2008, 07:36 PM   #1
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 65 (100%+)
Default Best LiPo stick pack for Kyosho ZX5 SP

I may be getting a ZX5 SP real soon and need to know what size to get for weight distribution, and one that actually fits in the car.

My buddy said the MaxAmps 2S 6000 won't fit. I actually have one of these, if he's wrong. I'de like to stick with MaxAmps cuz I've had good luck with them and they're cheap, but not affraid to switch.

Please advise me on a battery to get. Thanks!!
markhat250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 10:10 PM   #2
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

I am running a Team Orion 4800 Li-Po in mine..... I like it because its a Hard Case and for a wheeler, being exposed like that on the left side it is nice to have a some protection for the pack.... the only thing you have to do to get it to fit is dremel or file the edges in the battery tray and make it fit in there so it sits Flat.... I have had this 4800 battery ever since they came out and have not balanced it once! It performs the Same as it did From Day 1...... Team Orion Li-Po's i think are the safest and best around......

| TLR | Team Orion | Pro-Line | Dealership Towing | TK Customs |
Deception is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 01:19 AM   #3
Tech Elite

Those Orion batteries are pricey. Wow.

MaxAmps site is saying the 2S 6000 fits. Anyone back this up?

Are you guys adding weight to one side or the other to balance your ZX5 out? Was the car originally designed for nickles? If so, I would think you would need to balance this car out from LEFT to RIGHT. Possibly front to back to? Dunno. You tell me.
Old 02-19-2008, 04:42 AM   #4
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 66 (92%+)
Send a message via AIM to Jake S Send a message via MSN to Jake S

Quote:
Originally Posted by markhat250 View Post
Those Orion batteries are pricey. Wow.
you get what you pay for. and you can get a 4800 around $90-$100 here on rctech if you watch for them.

i run a 4800 in both my t4 and b4. id like to try the 3600 out since i have heard so many good things about it, but i don't feel the need as this 4800 still runs as good as when i bought it.
Old 02-19-2008, 07:21 AM   #5
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 240 (100%+)

I would take the "you get what you pay for line" with a grain of salt.

Just because something costs the most, doesn't make it the best. If that was the case you could just throw your wallet over the line at every race.

For the money, If you track requires hardcased lipos or you want one, like what Orion does, I know the trakpower 4900 would get a look from me (and did, got one coming today). Its 20C rated (and from what I was told by there reps, its actually 25C as they stopped using the 20C about a year ago based on what they said) , 4900 mah, and has a nice hardcase and is cheaper too than the orion 15C 4800mah lipo. If you can wait, the official "25C" versions will be out in a bit as well, including a 5400 model.

If you can view a ZX5SP up close, get someone to drop your battery in to see if it fits. If no one available, get the dimensions on the maxamps pack and compare it to one that you do know fits fine.

Personally, I think the maxamps should fit with minimal fitting as it looks to be right on size wise as far as how it fits in say a B4 or T4. No weird width issues.

Good luck on whatever you go with.
Old 02-19-2008, 08:46 AM   #6
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 28 (97%+)

I would take "C" ratings with a grain of salt as well....too many variables involved. I have used MaxAmps in the past and while I had no problems with them (only had them short term), the heat shrink assembly and exposed balancer plugs really made them look and feel cheap in quality and suspect for off road durability. My Orion 3600 packs fit perfectly in my Lazer with their molded in humps on the bottom and I know they are quality cells and don't even need to be balanced (my 4800's ran for a year and a half and are still perfectly in balance). Hardcase is easily the way to go for off road applications as they can take a good deal of abuse. The battery is the life blood of your car and will last a long time and you are going to quibble over $20?

.:Team Orion : JConcepts : B-Fast RC:.
johnnyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 09:03 AM   #7
Regional Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by markhat250 View Post
I may be getting a ZX5 SP real soon and need to know what size to get for weight distribution, and one that actually fits in the car.

My buddy said the MaxAmps 2S 6000 won't fit. I actually have one of these, if he's wrong. I'de like to stick with MaxAmps cuz I've had good luck with them and they're cheap, but not affraid to switch.

Please advise me on a battery to get. Thanks!!

I use Max-Amps 5000's in my SP, Your 6000 should fit too. You might have to raise the battery post's slightly. With 5k packs you only need to add 13 grams to make min. weight. with the 6k pack you probably wont have to add anything. And if you are running brushless the 5k pack will be enough to make weight.
Old 02-19-2008, 09:19 AM   #8
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

Orion are what i use and i like them alot, they look expensive at first but htey have replaced the job of 10 NIMH batterys. 2 4800's are what i use for practice and 2 classes. I used to only use my nimh once arace day to preserve them. Those packs feel like garbage now that i have these lipos, plenty of punch and ridiculous runtime.

My friend overcharged his orion 4800 on my charger and i looked in the sack and it only swelled didnt burst into flames and burn me or my stuff. Thats a difference you may not see yet but i want the safest i can get.

I am hearing bad things abut trak power using low quality cells, i wanted to get the new check point one but everyone says at the track says stick with orion.
Old 02-19-2008, 10:10 AM   #9
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 240 (100%+)

So to sum it up, we got a lot of salt around to take

I spoke with maxamps reps, and they appear to have a true hardcase lipo in the works (not skin) that will probably use the 5000mah battery. As for if it will have a plugin similar to trakpower and orion for your balancer, don't know. But once they do get that in place, it will be interesting to see thoughts on there packs once the hardcase issue is put to bed.

As for trakpower using lower quality cells, I haven't seen anything like that about there packs, other than the issue with the CHECKPOINT pack being built with 16C cells by accident. And even those 16C cells are not bad either, they are the lite versions that are like 5350 and 16C, hyperion makes a pack of these you can get for about $85. Considering the Orion is only rated at 15C, and as I understand it trakpower and orion do rate there packs alittle more on the conservative side, I wouldn't be concerned how it would perform. Main issue is that it was advertised as a 20C that peopel are having issues with.
Old 02-19-2008, 10:30 AM   #10
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

you ever used a orion lipo ??

i know my race buddy used the li-pro and he said its down on the orion pack. less runtime and punch. I dont know anyone with the trakpower but if see one ill try it in my car. I never really paid attention to c ratings till aftre buying them. The 15c orion 4800 has more punch then my IP3800's ever had and my gp3700's. i still wanna try a trackpower to feel the differences.
Old 02-19-2008, 10:55 AM   #11
Tech Elite

"you are going to quibble over $20?"

Not really. I've just had good success with MaxAmps and they're cheap. But the elements do get to them a bit, whereas that hard case I could see never really showing signs of wear.

I'm probably most concerned about a balnced (left to right) car. So if a 6000mah fits in ok and the wieght is on the money, that seems like a good choice eh?
Old 02-19-2008, 11:00 AM   #12
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 73 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RB FIVE View Post
I am hearing bad things abut trak power using low quality cells, i wanted to get the new check point one but everyone says at the track says stick with orion.
What? Trakpower uses, IMO, the best cells available on the market...Enerland. I'd buy Trakpower or the new Checkpoint pack before I ever bought an Orion/Peak pack.
skelly1344 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 08:15 PM   #13
Tech Elite

Double post. Rctech trippin.

Last edited by markhat250; 02-19-2008 at 09:41 PM.
Old 02-19-2008, 08:15 PM   #14
Tech Elite

I just placed my order for my ZX5 SP today.

I am still clueless what is the BEST battery for this car. The Orion4800 seems nice, but certainly not all of you are running this battery!!

Any help is appreciated. I gotta get something coming real soon. Cheers!!
Old 02-20-2008, 01:40 AM   #15
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

I have been running the max amps 6000s for a yr and a half now in my b4, t4, and zx5. Used them tons, and have never had one problem with them. They are a great batt. I can get 45min out of my 2mod on my local track. No joke. Get tired of driving it after awhile.

http://www.rctech.net/forum/showthread.php?t=184104

WWW.BUSTOUTBMX.COM
TheTurtleMan is offline   Reply With Quote