R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 02-18-2008, 09:48 AM   #16
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

I've had a BJ4WE and a B44 and I currently have a ZX5 SP. The problem is I only have 1 club race on the ZX5 and had no practice with it before the first qualifier.

The B44 does drive very similar to the BJ4. However, the changes (I think some of the parts they converted to plastic from aluminum) made it seem a lot less twitchy than the BJ4. It really is a great car, but that chassis slap annoyed the crap out of me. I was amazed though at how hard you could slap after a big jump and not be knocked totally out of control.

In my one race with the SP I had some stuff really jacked up. My car was a used car with the SP conversion and the rear shocks were all screwed up - 7mm more down travel than SP kit and stock rear springs. Despite this, I was really impressed. The car definitely soaked up the jumps a lot better than the B44. I was having rear grip problems, but I know it was due to the extra down travel and stiffness of the rear springs. Now that I have things straighted out with it, I'm really excited to run it again.

Both cars have their strengths and weaknesses...the problems described above for both cars I've had happen to mine (B44 chassis plate and shock shaft, RB5 front tower). I really felt like the B44 was very easy to drive through the corners and the RB5 was better on the jumps. I'm hoping the RB5 is better through the corners as well with all the stuff I've fixed though.

Anyway after all that rambling, I think you could be happy with either car. I switched to the SP because I have a RB5 2wd. If I still had a B4, I would have kept my B44. Both cars are competitive enough that what you drive for your 2wd might be enough to make your 4wd decision.

RBFIVE you could just change your screen name to PIMPDADDY
glitchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 09:50 AM   #17
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 65 (100%+)

Keep it coming. This is good reading.
markhat250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 10:03 AM   #18
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I am a Kyosho/Audi die hard so mine does not count

Dasupacat1 Love your avatar, really do

Ed
Ediaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 10:30 AM   #19
Tech Fanatic

Although i have quite a couple of Lipos that would have worked in the Kyosho i went for the B44 simply for the ease of finding parts and the fact that some of the parts are shared with my other cars. I cant tell you how i drives yet though so i will have to get back to you on that.
" Go that way really fast, if something gets in your way, turn"
tcmerf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 12:53 PM   #20
Tech Master

I was in the same boat a few weeks ago before I went with the B44. The deciding factor for me was parts availability. I have had cars that had 0 store support and I bought parts that I know would most likely to break and then some. I had to stock a boxfull of parts and it can get expensive to keep up not counting the zero or very low return when you decide to sell it. Now with the B44, I only have a set of knuckles, front arms, front bulkhead, a pair of rear arms and a shock shaft, that's it. If I want to rebuild my shocks, diffs, etc., I just walk in the store and get it.

On the other side of the coin, if the lhs carried ZX5 parts, I would have gotten it.

Give your B44 a chance, if you don't like the chassis slap noise (which comes from the underbody) use a adhesive protective sheet instead. Either the AE or the cheaper ones used for motorcycles.
forty6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 01:42 PM   #21
Tech Elite

Let me clear that up.....

I don't really care about the actual noise, but the rear suspension just doesn't seem super dialed. I know all cars body slap on big landings, but the B44 is doing it on almost all landings. I'm not the only one either, or I would be questioning MY setup.

The car in whoops does not want to sit still either. It just seems to be a much stiffer, lower profile ride (ala on-road) car than the ZX5 (which seems to be a titch higher and more true buggy vibe). With that said....the B44 is just stupid crazy dialed in the corners and flats I feel. I havn't got to see what the ZX5 can do in this department.

I really don't want to sell (and lose money) on my B44, but watching the ZX5 at the track has me pulling to that side very hard.
Old 02-18-2008, 03:21 PM   #22
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by markhat250 View Post
I really don't want to sell (and lose money) on my B44, but watching the ZX5 at the track has me pulling to that side very hard.

You ain't the only one........
Old 02-18-2008, 04:05 PM   #23
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

The refinements they made with the SP vastly improved this car. Not saying the old car was bad but the SP has improved steering and rear traction. This car as a ton of corner speed and like you have seen it jumps great and lands like it hitting a pillow ever time. The SP is a truely a dream to drive and it has the best kit setup of any car I have ever owned. I have moved the rear hubs forward and moved the front shocks out a hole and the car is super dialed.

Parts availability is a big part in getting a car. There is a list of stuff I would recommend keeping with you for this car as well if you do not have parts support at your track. To be honest though both my SP and orginal ZX5 have been extremely durable cars.

WWW.CASPER-RC.COM TLR and Tekin setups
Casper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 07:16 PM   #24
Tech Elite

I feel like I just need a reason to get a ZX5. It's like I don't want anyone to pipe up and say "don't sell your B44". You guys ever done that? This is a bad way to go into it I know, but Casper's last comment really got me warm and fuzzy just now.
Old 02-18-2008, 07:24 PM   #25
Tech Elite

"I have moved the rear hubs forward and moved the front shocks out a hole and the car is super dialed."

So are you saying your car is box setup, but then you just did these two adjustments?

Last edited by markhat250; 02-19-2008 at 12:32 AM.
Old 02-18-2008, 09:18 PM   #26
Tech Prophet

yep

Old 02-19-2008, 05:32 AM   #27
Tech Adept

My guess is that is all Casper will have needed to do!!!!

I run on VERY different surfaces here in the UK and all I have done is swap to silver springs all round, droped the front hub position to the the lower setting and gone to a king pin ball stud (from the original ZX5) on the SP front end and it's brilliant.

Don't get me wrong I have been to every extreme and just about everything in between .... keep coming back to where I am now...

The ZX5-SP is just about the best car out of the box I have ever driven and I've been racing over 20 years!!

Today AE .. tomorrow who knows?
RogerM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 06:35 AM   #28
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

I'll give another vote for the SP. I only made two changes to the box stock set up and it is dialed. I don't think you will be at all disappointed with the SP. It works on most tracks right out of the box. It is also a tank!
Old 02-19-2008, 11:03 AM   #29
Tech Elite

This is all good to hear. Seems a lot of people are digging the ZX5 SP. I think I'm just going to pull the trigger on one.

A-Main is out of stock on the SP, but they have the ZX5 with "SP upgrade". I think one person said that this is still NOT the same car after you upgrade. Does anyone know what the SP has in addition to the "upgraded" ZX5?
Old 02-19-2008, 11:17 AM   #30
Tech Prophet

You do not get the front alum pin brace, velvet shock bodies, one piece motor/center shaft support or teflon shielded bearings. The standard kit also comes with phillips screws.

Screw kit is for allen heads = $30 .
Alum front brace = $20
Motor mount = $6
Velvet Shock bodies = $50

The only thing you "need" out of those upgrades is the alum front brace but this give you an idea of what they upgraded with the SP kit.

I would check with Speedtech as well. They seem to keep up with stock quite well assuming Kyosho America has it.