R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 02-12-2008, 10:33 PM   #1
Tech Rookie

Default New Racer Upgrading to Brushless Questions

Well I am still a new RC Racer that is running in the Novice class which runs stock at my local racing club. I got a sweet deal on a first generation XXX-T that has a lot of upgrades on it and came with a DX2.0. So far the only things I have had to buy to get it going was a receiver and charger the guy I bought it from tossed in two 4200mAh battery packs.

I want to upgrade it to a Brushless System so that I can put the brushed system in my girlfriend's truck since she will use her a lot less than mine. Also, I would rather use LiPos than NiMH.

Right now I am trying to decide between the Novak GTB SS13.5 Esc/Motor and the LRP Sphere Competition TC-Spec with the Vector X-11 Stock Spec Brushless Motor (13.5T). There are a few questions and concerns I have that I hope to gain some insight here.

Do you feel one is superior to the other in terms of functionality or features? Which company do you feel has better customer service for replacement if necessary? Which one is easier to program and troubleshoot? Which one would you advise for the novice racer but also cares about quality racing parts?
Cybane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 11:25 PM   #2
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 54 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to AndyMoore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cybane View Post
Well I am still a new RC Racer that is running in the Novice class which runs stock at my local racing club. I got a sweet deal on a first generation XXX-T that has a lot of upgrades on it and came with a DX2.0. So far the only things I have had to buy to get it going was a receiver and charger the guy I bought it from tossed in two 4200mAh battery packs.

I want to upgrade it to a Brushless System so that I can put the brushed system in my girlfriend's truck since she will use her a lot less than mine. Also, I would rather use LiPos than NiMH.

Right now I am trying to decide between the Novak GTB SS13.5 Esc/Motor and the LRP Sphere Competition TC-Spec with the Vector X-11 Stock Spec Brushless Motor (13.5T). There are a few questions and concerns I have that I hope to gain some insight here.

Do you feel one is superior to the other in terms of functionality or features? Which company do you feel has better customer service for replacement if necessary? Which one is easier to program and troubleshoot? Which one would you advise for the novice racer but also cares about quality racing parts?
First of all, welcome to the hobby! Its great to see a new racer participating in electric and looking to learn about the scene.

I have used LRP products for the last 8 years, without exception. I really like their setup system and how the parameters are adjusted in the speed control. Its simple, and youre able to adjust each setting individually (I think novak still has profiles with change all settings at once?). Novak does have the better customer support, from what I have seen and heard, however. Honestly, I dont forsee you having problems with either system, they are both quality and good choices. I would reccomend looking into one of the Orion 13.5 motors, if you want some extra horsepower.

Initial Setup-LRP
Changing Settings-LRP
Customer Service-Novak
Color-LRP (you just cant beat the Blue stuff)
Old 02-12-2008, 11:33 PM   #3
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

1. Do you feel one is superior to the other in terms of functionality or features? No.

2.Which company do you feel has better customer service for replacement if necessary? Novak.

3. Which one is easier to program and troubleshoot? LRP Sphere. But the Novak not much harder. The LRP is very simplified.

4. Which one would you advise for the novice racer but also cares about quality racing parts? Novak. Refer to #2.

The Novak comes with more motor options all with in the same compatibility.
More profile options and is equipped with a run capacitor and a n optional fan.
The best bang for the buck in my opinion. I've tried LRP and Mamba as well.
The Novak has the smoothest throttle response then LRP then Mamba.
UN4RACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 06:19 AM   #4
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by UN4RACING View Post
I've tried LRP and Mamba as well.
I don't agree with this. In my experience, the Novak is more punchy while the LRP is much smoother. I prefer the LRP, but you can't go wrong with either system.
Old 02-13-2008, 06:26 AM   #5
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 126 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to racer34v

i like the LRP esc / Novak Motor combo myself
racer34v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 06:35 AM   #6
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by racer34v View Post
i like the LRP esc / Novak Motor combo myself
I have been running a Sphere with various Novak motors for about 4 months and it works great. I want to try the LRP motors, but have not gotten to it yet.
Racerx336 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 10:50 AM   #7
Tech Rookie

If I do go with LRP would it be better to get the TC-Spec over the regular Sphere Competition?
Old 02-13-2008, 11:13 AM   #8
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

Quote:
If I do go with LRP would it be better to get the TC-Spec over the regular Sphere Competition?
Go with the regular Sphere Comp. Racing at CRCRC you won't really need the fan (especially running a 13.5).

“Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid.” - John Wayne
dr_hfuhuhurr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 12:58 PM   #9
Tech Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr_hfuhuhurr View Post
Go with the regular Sphere Comp. Racing at CRCRC you won't really need the fan (especially running a 13.5).
The price difference is only $10 I wonder what the major difference between them is? If the fan is the only difference and there is no functional benefit of going to the TC-Spec then I would agree going with the other.
Old 02-13-2008, 01:19 PM   #10
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

Quote:
The price difference is only $10 I wonder what the major difference between them is? If the fan is the only difference and there is no functional benefit of going to the TC-Spec then I would agree going with the other.
The TC-Spec has Touring Car specific profiles. Between that, the extra price and no need for a fan...the regular comp is perfect. Actually, for the type of racing you're doing...the regular sphere should be sufficient.

“Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid.” - John Wayne
dr_hfuhuhurr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 02:13 PM   #11
Tech Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr_hfuhuhurr View Post
The TC-Spec has Touring Car specific profiles. Between that, the extra price and no need for a fan...the regular comp is perfect. Actually, for the type of racing you're doing...the regular sphere should be sufficient.
So the Touring Cars are the sedans that people use for racing and drifting? I can see how those would get hot.

It looks like I am going to have to buy a separate motor since I am having a hard time finding a website that has the combo at a price I like. Since I am going with a stock motor what would be a good brand to go with aside from the X-11.

Last edited by Cybane; 02-13-2008 at 02:29 PM.
Old 02-13-2008, 03:10 PM   #12
Tech Regular

Quote:
the sphere
http://teamassociated.com/lrp/esc_brushless_80700.htm

the sphere TC
http://teamassociated.com/lrp/esc_brushless_80750.htm

doesn't seem to be much of a difference,

the TC has "launch control" though!!!
artie's liver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 03:16 PM   #13
Tech Rookie

Since I am going to have to do some Soldering to get the ESC and Motor working what soldering iron do you recommend that will be sufficient. Mostly I want to get a good tool rather just a piece of crap.
Old 02-13-2008, 06:07 PM   #14
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 54 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to AndyMoore

Quote:
Since I am going to have to do some Soldering to get the ESC and Motor working what soldering iron do you recommend that will be sufficient. Mostly I want to get a good tool rather just a piece of crap.
Hakko 936, if you want the best soldering station, or the Weller 25 watt iron (orange handle) if you want something cheap and decent.
Old 02-13-2008, 06:29 PM   #15
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by UN4RACING View Post
1. Do you feel one is superior to the other in terms of functionality or features? No.

2.Which company do you feel has better customer service for replacement if necessary? Novak.

3. Which one is easier to program and troubleshoot? LRP Sphere. But the Novak not much harder. The LRP is very simplified.

4. Which one would you advise for the novice racer but also cares about quality racing parts? Novak. Refer to #2.

The Novak comes with more motor options all with in the same compatibility.
More profile options and is equipped with a run capacitor and a n optional fan.
The best bang for the buck in my opinion. I've tried LRP and Mamba as well.
you think novak is smoother than lrp i switched from novak to lrp cuz it was a better throttle response,well its what ppl like that counts and what really counts is we all have fun.
wallyedmonds is offline   Reply With Quote