R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 02-14-2008, 05:52 AM   #31
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Default lipo's

also keep in mind that with a lipo u only have to make (1) mistake an its toast. 2 wks. ago a good friend whom is ssponsored by orion receiveed a new 3600 battery (according to directions on box do NOT use MRC charger to charge this battery) an a new orion advantage charger. The charger was set for lipo charge but somehow (maybe operator error??) the charger defaulted to NINH mode. guess what? toast.. this battery had only been charged 1 time. I guess to morale to this story is ALWAYS MAKE SURE UR CHARGER IS IN THE LIPO MODE BEFORE U PRESS THAT START BUTTON. haste makes waste..
newbie2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 05:48 PM   #32
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by newbie2 View Post
also keep in mind that with a lipo u only have to make (1) mistake an its toast. 2 wks. ago a good friend whom is ssponsored by orion receiveed a new 3600 battery (according to directions on box do NOT use MRC charger to charge this battery) an a new orion advantage charger. The charger was set for lipo charge but somehow (maybe operator error??) the charger defaulted to NINH mode. guess what? toast.. this battery had only been charged 1 time. I guess to morale to this story is ALWAYS MAKE SURE UR CHARGER IS IN THE LIPO MODE BEFORE U PRESS THAT START BUTTON. haste makes waste..
well that sounds to me like user error, that stuff does happen unfortunately but what are ya gonna do. I have seen over charging on a orion pack and it didnt bust into flames it swelled within the case and thats it and was then sent back to manufact.

I am pretty weary about my nimh buddys throwing a pack on my chargers cause of this though. So i request they dont use my pulsars without asking me due to the sensitivity of the lipos to mischarging.

I am never using NIMH again.
Old 02-14-2008, 07:02 PM   #33
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wevie View Post
I like the specs on the Hyperion EOS 0610i.

With the capabilities of that charger, it appears it would be possible to charge two packs simultaneously (2 7-cell NiMh packs with a series adapter or 2 2S1P LiPo packs also with a series adapter). Correct?
Wevie,
On the LiPo packs, you would only be able to balance charge one LiPo using the balance plug on the charger and battery. I suppose if you had the balance plugs and "cleverly" wired up your own Y - adapter, then you would be able to balance the two 2S packs as if it were one 4S pack. If you want the ultimate charger to do two packs at once or one huge 12S pack, then the Hyperion EOS 0610 Duo is the chrager that you would want. I didn't want to shell out that much coin so I went with the EOS 610i Net. I can always pick up a second one though. But with the charge rates you can use the EOS 610i Net, I can charge any LiPo in less than an hour so I don't see it as being an issue.

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...ducts_id/20720

Tonys Screws LLC
http://www.tonysscrews.com
High Grade Alloy Steel Screws, Screw Kits and Mugen Parts
TonysScrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 09:38 AM   #34
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 240 (100%+)

Another option for your situation would be the Hyperion 1210i charger, and two LBA10+ balancers. You can network the balancers together with the charger and charger two identical packs at the same time. Bishop power products has a good combo price on this, I think like $180?

As for packs, If you require a hardcase, give the trakpower lipos a look, I have been hearing good things about them, they are 20C, and I also heard that they phased out 20C a while back and were actually putting in 25C cells if I recall correctly, just still calling them "20C". This is from a rep for the company when I asked about the 20C packs. Then you would only need the track power 2S adapter and the hyperion TP 2S - 6S adapter and your all set. Another option I hear for the money that isn't bad is the Trinity Lipro setup. You only need the Align adapter then. And they go for about $75. Also, they have a low voltage cutoff built in.

Now, if you don't require a hardcase, you can look at either the maxamps packs (get the shrunk in skinz though), probably 5000mah to 6000mah packs (6000mah fits like a glove in a T4, so probably fits great in a rustler), 2S, or even the hyperion 5350 pack would be a good choice. Its 16C, but its enerland cell based. I would say it should be better than say an Orion 4800 as the orion I believe is 15C rated. Bishop Power Products has some really good prices on that battery right now, and its made to fit the 1/10 scale battery trays.
Old 02-15-2008, 12:09 PM   #35
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

Guy i race with has the li-pro pack he told me it was sub par to his oion packs with punch.
Old 02-15-2008, 04:38 PM   #36
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I know a guy who sells LiPo 2 cell LiPo packs for $70 each and $60 each if you buy more than 4. They are equiped with balancing tabs and Deans connectors. They are 4700 MAh. They last long and work great. I use them myself. If you are interested let me know and I will give him a call for you. Then you can just send him money through paypal and he will send them right out....LMK
hyper7boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 06:55 PM   #37
Tech Rookie

I went ahead and ordered from amain:

(2) ProTek R/C 20C packs
Hyperion EOS 0610i

That should allow me to get my feet wet with LiPo's.
wevie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 03:53 AM   #38
Tech Rookie

I forgot to ask if I will need any balancing adapters to charge these packs on this charger.
wevie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 07:10 AM   #39
Tech Master

Yes, you will need the Hyperion balance adapter for the Align, ProTek R/C packs. I have one on backorder with Amain for a week now so I'm guessing it should be in any day now (if not there already but not checked in yet). I'll email Kendall to see when they're coming in.

Best regards,

Tonys Screws LLC
Old 02-16-2008, 07:48 AM   #40
Tech Master

Also don't forget any Ultra plugs, wire, shrink-tubing, etc. I also bought the ProTek R/C banana plug adapter that has an ultra plug on it already.

Tonys Screws LLC
Old 02-16-2008, 08:14 AM   #41
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonysScrews View Post
Also don't forget any Ultra plugs, wire, shrink-tubing, etc. I also bought the ProTek R/C banana plug adapter that has an ultra plug on it already.
Has anyone tried the multi octopus common sense lead that has a deans male,tamiya,jst,hitech,and one set of bare leads for your choice? Then it has banna jacks on the other end .it looks like the beat all end all for charge leads .....sorry that was a little off topic

TEAM REDS RACING ENGINES USA
TEAM PROLINE-RACING
TEAM RC AMERICA/XRAY/HUDY
zixxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 08:44 AM   #42
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 26 (96%+)

Another cheap pack is the truerc.net 8kmah 10c 2s packs. They cost $75 & work well for 1/10th scale because the large capacity still gives them a constant 80 amp discharge rating.
party_wagon is offline   Reply With Quote