R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 02-13-2008, 12:26 AM   #16
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

wevie,

You may want to check out the ProTek R/C 20C packs from Amainhobbies. I know that Kendall Bennett stands behind his products. I have a brushless 1/8th scale Mugen MBX5R that I am testing the packs in now. Just make sure you use a good LiPo balance charger and either set a voltage cutoff or carefully monitor the voltage. Also, when the kids are done playing, ALWAYS unplug the LiPo. Even though the car is turned off, many electronic devices (such as a switch) can draw a very small amount of energy. They can discharge a LiPo battery below its limits and be a huge safety hazard.

Best regards,

Tonys Screws LLC
http://www.tonysscrews.com
High Grade Alloy Steel Screws, Screw Kits and Mugen Parts
TonysScrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 12:47 AM   #17
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 110 (100%+)

I would also look at packs from true-rc is you are looking for inexpensive batteries.

http://home.comcast.net/~truerc/read...eady_packs.htm
tschenck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 02:04 AM   #18
Tech Rookie

Wow. The ProTek R/C 20C packs from Amainhobbies look like the best deal I've seen on 20C lipos.

So, if I get those and the MRC 989, what balancer would work best?

Oh, and this is interesting.... Amain shows the 989 with a power supply where Tower says a power supply is required but not included. ?????
wevie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 03:47 AM   #19
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 110 (100%+)

the 989 comes with a 10amp power supply.
tschenck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 04:07 AM   #20
Tech Rookie

I plan on doing some racing so I am kind of torn between Maxamps, ProTek @ amainhobbies or TrakPower batteries. For max life and cost I think the best would be maxamps. However, the ProTek is nice because if the battery get thrashed you can send it back and get 50% off the replacement battery. I have an ICE Charger so which one would you recommend for practice and racing.
Cybane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 06:47 AM   #21
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default Dents are bad.

Do NOT purchase a lipo without a hard plastic case
IMO
Alltapdout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 07:26 AM   #22
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 65 (99%+)

i have the trinity hard plastic case at http://www.bulldawgrc.com they are on sale for under 75 bucks. check it out. they are on back order from manufacturer but should be received shortly.
Team Driver for: Proline, Team Epic/Trinity, Hex Crew, Bulldawg R/C, Speed Demon Hobbies ~~~~TEAM CRUNCHY~~~~
Bulldawg RC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 09:40 AM   #23
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (89%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by skelly1344 View Post
So just to prove they have a good product, they should pay ROAR to say so? That's assinine.

If a manufacturer has no intention of selling a product to the racing community, there simply is no point in having any affiliation with ROAR or their testing. That has absolutely no bearing on whether that product is safe or not.
If they have no intentions of sell it in "racing community" why would you buy it for racing?
Thats assinine!!
I guess you the type of guy that rather save a dollar and chance explodition
And you must be a parking lot smasher because at any real track they wont allow anything not proven safe! By a method other than my friend said he hasn't had a problem YET.
Good luck see ya at the BBQ
Crazy Carl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 09:47 AM   #24
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonysScrews View Post
wevie,

You may want to check out the ProTek R/C 20C packs from Amainhobbies. I know that Kendall Bennett stands behind his products. I have a brushless 1/8th scale Mugen MBX5R that I am testing the packs in now. Just make sure you use a good LiPo balance charger and either set a voltage cutoff or carefully monitor the voltage. Also, when the kids are done playing, ALWAYS unplug the LiPo. Even though the car is turned off, many electronic devices (such as a switch) can draw a very small amount of energy. They can discharge a LiPo battery below its limits and be a huge safety hazard.

Best regards,
the switch alone wouldn't draw any power, but the ESC might as the switch is part of the circuit, not in series with the battery.
Old 02-13-2008, 10:01 AM   #25
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 73 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Carl View Post
I guess you the type of guy that rather save a dollar and chance explodition
And you must be a parking lot smasher because at any real track they wont allow anything not proven safe! By a method other than my friend said he hasn't had a problem YET.
Yep, you got it...I'm cheap and unsafe...just look all my sub-par battery equipment. I mean, geez, can I pay someone to take all this junk away from me, please?!?

skelly1344 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 01:08 PM   #26
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

The Hyperion AC/DC charger is a great charger with built in balancer if you need a complete setup. The only issue with this model charger is the 50watt maximum charge rate. It'll work fine for 2S and 3S LiPos though.

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...ducts_id/18361

I bought the higher end EOS 610i Net since it has a 250watt maximum charge rate. I am running 1/8th electric and we use HUGE 4S packs. But it requires a power supply (which I already had with my Triton I just sold).

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...ducts_id/18362

Best regards,

Tonys Screws LLC
http://www.tonysscrews.com
High Grade Alloy Steel Screws, Screw Kits and Mugen Parts
TonysScrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 01:19 PM   #27
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 26 (96%+)

The protech cells w/ an mrc 989 would make for a good combo.
party_wagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 11:16 PM   #28
Tech Rookie

I like the specs on the Hyperion EOS 0610i.

With the capabilities of that charger, it appears it would be possible to charge two packs simultaneously (2 7-cell NiMh packs with a series adapter or 2 2S1P LiPo packs also with a series adapter). Correct?
wevie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 12:25 AM   #29
Tech Apprentice

wow... 12 c packs... thats horrible

i thought 15c was the lowest on that size of a pack but i guess i was wrong... it only takes one slip and your packs will puff... even on a traxxas rustler.
mwry13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 05:30 AM   #30
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wevie View Post
Well, if the 12C rating and the low cost seem to lean toward the unsafe side, I definitely will NOT be buying them. MAXAMPS it is.
Using a 12C battery may be quite fine. Many lipo set-ups will never come close to using a 20 C capability. It is not even a good general rule of thumb to follow. I wouldn't be in a hurry to condemn the specific battery since no-one seems to know. It may be junk, it may be a great deal.

The only thing that's for sure is that a 20C compared to same manufacturer's 10C battery with same capacity would be a better high current choice and heavier.
Also keep in mind that a 20C is a complete discharge in 3 minutes.
A 15 minute run is a 4C run average.
A 20 C batt has the same rating as a (10C with twice capacity)

Maxamps would be one manufacturer whose 20C battery packs will not even come close to sustaining a 20C discharge without damage.

I am not saying not to get a maxamps pack or not to get the e-bay pack. What I'm saying is to know your requirement and then know the battery's potential.
gulio is offline   Reply With Quote