R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 02-11-2008, 01:08 PM   #1
Tech Rookie

Default Brushless 1/8 conversion reasonable and competitive

I've been reading and reading and reading. There is so much information here that I'm hoping someone would be willing to summarize and answer a few questions for me.

I want to do a brushless 1/8 buggy conversion. I do not have an unlimited budget, so here are my thoughts for you to critique.

Hyper 7
MM ESC
Feigao motor
Lipo's
Conversion kit from RC Design or something similar

Questions:

Are any modifications required to the MM to make it survive and perform? Cooling? Cap replacement?

Will the Feigao line of motors provide competitive power? Winter time is indoor blue groove (small, tight, technical) Summer time is outdoor blue groove (large, fast).

Which Feigao would be ideal? I see many using the 9XL.

Link to optimum batteries? (Mains are 15-20 minutes)

It is entirely possible that if this works out well I will bite the bullet and buy a NEU for summer racing.

Thank you for your time and patience.
wevie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 01:17 PM   #2
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Are any modifications required to the MM to make it survive and perform? Cooling? Cap replacement?

YOU WILL NEED TWO FANS AND COOLING HOLES IN THE MAMBA CASE

Will the Feigao line of motors provide competitive power? Winter time is indoor blue groove (small, tight, technical) Summer time is outdoor blue groove (large, fast).

YES, THE NEU IS THE WAY TO GO.

7 THRU 9 TAKE YOUR PICK, YOU WILL NEED A WWW.RC-MONSTER.COM HEATSINK OR THE MOTOR WILL COME APART. THE NEU IS THE WAY TO GO.

2 MAXAMPS 2S 8000MAH WILL GIVE YOU 15 TO 20 MIN RUN TIME.

ARCS Hobbies / Paint Monster Airbrushing / BFast / Tonys Screws
badassrevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 01:36 PM   #3
Tech Elite

YES< THE MAMBA IS UP TO THE TASK WHEN USED INCONJUCTION WITH A UBEC

YES, BUT THE NEU IS THE WAY TO GO.

7 THRU 9 TAKE YOUR PICK, YOU WILL NEED A WWW.RC-MONSTER.COM HEATSINK OR THE MOTOR WILL COME APART. THE NEU IS THE WAY TO GO.

2 MAXAMPS 2S 8000MAH WILL GIVE YOU 15 TO 20 MIN RUN TIME.

Old 02-11-2008, 01:40 PM   #4
Tech Elite

YES< THE MAMBA IS UP TO THE TASK WHEN USED INCONJUCTION WITH A UBEC

YES, BUT THE NEU IS THE WAY TO GO.

2 MAXAMPS 2S 8000MAH WILL GIVE YOU 15 TO 20 MIN RUN TIME. IF YOU RUN THE HYPER 7 WITH SADDLE PACKS

Old 02-11-2008, 11:17 PM   #5
Tech Adept

I have the same setup you are looking at. (Hyper 7, RCPD conversion, 9XL, MM ESC, twin 2S 6000mAh MaxAmps).

I get good runtime with good speed - upto 40-50mins & ~40mph with 16/46 gearing. It is an excellent setup, I'm pretty stoked with how it goes - and it gets a lot of attention at the local BMX tracks.

I have only one fan on top of the ESC (no case holes) and it is handling the Australian summer quite well, even with on-road full acceleration - full brake for ~20mins.

My brother has a 7XL in his hyper7 (RC-M motor mount and battery tray, MM ESC with single fan & no holes). He is running 15/51 gearing and has similar top speed but motor gets a bit warmer than the 9XL.

I don't really know what the difference is between the Feigao's and Neu's but I imagine badass is right, if you are seriously into racing the Neu would probably be a much better choice - we are 100% bashers so wouldn't push it as hard as racing flat out 20 min mains.
The RCPD kit and MM will still be the best choice though IMHO, and if you do go with a feigao the RC-M heatsink/clamp should be compulsory.

If I get my act together I have some video I should upload.
Cornelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 10:22 PM   #6
Tech Rookie

Default Pinions...

I have been fightin with My Mugan and a novak HV... am going to make some changes but now having a hard time finding pinions... Monster is always out of stock.. any of you guys have some 5mm pinions 10 tooth to 14 tooth???/

Please let me know at [email protected]...

You guys have been a great source of info and help....

thanks
KC C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 10:30 PM   #7
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 95 (99%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KC C View Post
I have been fightin with My Mugan and a novak HV... am going to make some changes but now having a hard time finding pinions... Monster is always out of stock.. any of you guys have some 5mm pinions 10 tooth to 14 tooth???/

Please let me know at [email protected]...

You guys have been a great source of info and help....

thanks
Tower Hobbies has the century pinions. Here is a link to their 11T

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXMGY3&P=7

Very reasonably priced.
RobbieS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 11:31 PM   #8
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieS View Post
Tower Hobbies has the century pinions. Here is a link to their 11T

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXMGY3&P=7

Very reasonably priced.
I have tried those century pinions with an 8XL motor and they wear out very quickly. Plus for some reason they are difficult to take off the motor shaft after running. I think the RC monster pinions are great quality albeit a bit pricey but much easier to swap out. Quite a few pinions in stock at impackt but mostly larger ones 17-19t but 12t should do you well.
http://www.impaktrc.com/index.php?cP...sort=3a&page=2
thisguy80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 07:03 AM   #9
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by thisguy80 View Post
I have tried those century pinions with an 8XL motor and they wear out very quickly. Plus for some reason they are difficult to take off the motor shaft after running. I think the RC monster pinions are great quality albeit a bit pricey but much easier to swap out. Quite a few pinions in stock at impackt but mostly larger ones 17-19t but 12t should do you well.
http://www.impaktrc.com/index.php?cP...sort=3a&page=2
\

Are you running a steel spur? If so, that is why. I have run the same pinion all summer and winter and it is still fine. Against a steel spur, there is so much torque from these motors that the pinion does not stand a chance.
You need the 46T plastic Kyosho spur. IF 148. It is a direct fit on every diff I have tried it on except the Mugen, Associated and Xray. I modify them for the Associated and Xray to fit. There is no plastic spur available to fit the Mugen. There is an adaptor from Ofna that allows you to put a plastic spur on the Mugen Diff.
DJ1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 07:23 AM   #10
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 240 (100%+)

I would say with a dual maxamps 8000mah setup in your conversion, you should do 30+ minutes quite easily I would think, even longer.

Personally, I would look into say a 5000mah or 6000mah battery pack so you don't have some much weight on the sides of the vehicle.

As for what batteries to get, if your track is not a stickler about hardcased lipos, maxamps 6000s should work great.

If they are a stickler about hardcased lipos, there is a good variety out there. I would take a look at the Trakpower 4900mah lipos as a starting point as they are 25C and use Enerland cells. using an estimate in runtime, compared to say a 25C 5000mah enerland pack that gets 25 minutes, the 4900s should only loose about half a minute of runtime.

As for your motor choice, these feigao motors from what I understand are less efficient than the neu motors, so you may need the high mah packs because of that for your use. Don't forget that RC Monster heatsink thing that holds it all together.

You could try cooling the Mamba Max by putting on an HV Capacitor. Pipeous on RC Monster forum did something similar with smaller caps and doesn't run a fan at all on his RC8 conversion.