R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 02-11-2008, 08:47 PM   #16
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by X God View Post
I just talked to MaxAmps and they said their batteries are now ROAR approved even though they are not on the ROAR's approval list yet ????
I also just got off the phone with a MaxAmps sponsored driver I know and he told me to wait awhile before ordering to make sure they are actually approved. Apparently MaxAmps had a major incident with the ROAR technical director at a recent race in Indy and and we all know how ROAR is.
That Maxamps rep just lied to you. The new ROAR rule about how the case needs to be constructed rules them out. They lied to me about something else when I bought a pack and a balancer from them last year. It's weird how they have no problem with lying to customers and then send them a christian than you card. Here's the new ROAR rule:

Quote:
The case shall consist of two (2) halves with each half being constructed from a single mold that is not easily pliable and retains it shape without any exterior or interior support. Both the top and bottom sections of the case must be secured together by glue, double-sided tape or heat seal with a label across the seam stating "ROAR Approved" in such a manner that separation of the case to remove or replace the cells will destroy the case and/or label and render it unusable in competition. The case must be installed by the manufacturer or Value added manufacturer no end User installed cases are acceptable. The case will protect the cells from damage on all sides and will completely cover all cells having only openings for wire connections. Any modification to the factory approved hard case will make the pack ineligible for participation in ROAR events"
You don't need a "ROAR Approved" sticker on your roar approved pack for 2008 and probably won't need one on your pack if you buy a roar approved pack this year (before they start putting the stickers on them) and continue to use it next year. Here are the approved packs so far:

Orion 3600 Race Spec ORI 14005 2/6/2008
Orion Carbon Edition 3200 ORI 14001 2/6/2008
Orion Platinum Edition 4800 ORI 14000 2/6/2008
Hobbico Team Checkpoint 5400TCPC3656 2/4/2008

Last edited by Leodis; 02-11-2008 at 09:00 PM.
Leodis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 09:39 PM   #17
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 65 (99%+)

interesting, they told me the same thing and i am a dealer for them. good info to keep in mind. i am gonna call them tomorrow and see what they say about their roar approval.
Team Driver for: Proline, Team Epic/Trinity, Hex Crew, Bulldawg R/C, Speed Demon Hobbies ~~~~TEAM CRUNCHY~~~~
Bulldawg RC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 06:14 AM   #18
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leodis View Post
That Maxamps rep just lied to you. The new ROAR rule about how the case needs to be constructed rules them out. They lied to me about something else when I bought a pack and a balancer from them last year. It's weird how they have no problem with lying to customers and then send them a christian than you card. Here's the new ROAR rule:

You don't need a "ROAR Approved" sticker on your roar approved pack for 2008 and probably won't need one on your pack if you buy a roar approved pack this year (before they start putting the stickers on them) and continue to use it next year. Here are the approved packs so far:

Orion 3600 Race Spec ORI 14005 2/6/2008
Orion Carbon Edition 3200 ORI 14001 2/6/2008
Orion Platinum Edition 4800 ORI 14000 2/6/2008
Hobbico Team Checkpoint 5400TCPC3656 2/4/2008
I'm dissapointed that the TRAKPOWER is not included. It meets all the specs. and the checkpoint is made by trakpower.....
newbie2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 07:05 AM   #19
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by newbie2 View Post
I'm dissapointed that the TRAKPOWER is not included. It meets all the specs. and the checkpoint is made by trakpower.....
From what I've read, Trakpower sent their LiPos in for approval. I'm sure they'll be OK'd in the next couple of weeks.
Leodis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 09:47 AM   #20
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leodis View Post
From what I've read, Trakpower sent their LiPos in for approval. I'm sure they'll be OK'd in the next couple of weeks.
U should add the peak lipos to the list you posted, I know they are the same as orion but some people dont. Trakpower lipos should definintly be legal if the check point ones are considering they are trak power lipos. I am so getting a checkpoint one.
Old 02-14-2008, 10:53 AM   #21
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 240 (100%+)

after reading up on the checkpoint one, if what they are using for cells is correct, I wouldn't get it.

As for trakpower, I contacted them direct and they stated they are sending in there packs. Really nice guys too. Got back to me ultrafast.

I would contact Austin at maxamps to see what the deal issue concerning what you were told.