Wiki Posts
Search

The Cat is Back!

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2008, 06:25 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by stulec52
No way you can state that it won't be a problem.
I suspect on clean UK grass tracks it won't be much of an issue, but a body to undertray seal will never be 100% sealed, it's just not possible.

Still, I do want one, and can't wait to see how it does.
What I should have said was I don't think it will be a problem. I've seen belt cars like the Tamiya run on some loose dusty tracks and not have issues.
Old 03-20-2008, 07:31 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

I'll shoot it to you in the morning when I get to the shop!

Originally Posted by stulec52
If you PM me that info Adam, I'll get it to my local store and push them on the idea.
I know they have in the past carried Schumacher stuff, and the boss in the RC car section is a big fan of electric off road, so I'm sure I can tempt him !

thanks
Old 03-20-2008, 07:31 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Here Kitty Kitty...

Originally Posted by HVAC25000
what's that mean, Adam? Is that the war cry for all the new CAT drivers?

As an added note, cramped equals high performance. Compare a nascar to an F1 car. Compare a XXX-4 to an S4. Slim, compact, "cramped" cars perform better
Old 03-20-2008, 07:47 PM
Tech Adept

I dont care if the belts were on the roof, i want and will have one. The car looks sweet, and if it is at all like there other cars it will perform like a champion.

And as for it being a problem on loose dusty tracks, just stay in the groove. You cant go fast in the marbles anyway.
Old 03-20-2008, 08:18 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by beast95451
Why? I suppose the 501X (with it's exposed belts) is not good offroad buggy either, huh?

That's right.

Perfectly fine for high level racing where anything and everything can be replaced at will, Useless for anything less. Same goes for all cars with exposed drive trains. Even if its just dust and small debris getting in, it causes rapid wear and damage.

This new cat not only looks to have far too many moving pieces but they are all practically external.

May be great on indoor tracks as seems to be common in the UK, and probably passable on the blue grove and finely manicured tracks that seem to be spread over the US. Time will tell I suppose.
Old 03-20-2008, 08:30 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Metla, I've raced on plenty of tracks as you've described over the past 20 years, and I can honestly only ever recall one or two races in which I've failed to finsh due to rocks, pebbles, dirt etc getting into the drivetrain

I've raced all the open belt drive layout cars from Yokomo, Schumacher, Kyosho, Tamiya etc and whilst you do have to clean them more often, I've never found open layout 4wds to be more costly to run or less reliable.

As long as they supply the car with a close-fitting body and undertray ( which all these manufacturers have been doing for years) then I can't see any problem with it - with the speed the drivetrain is rotating at most small particles simply bounce off the rotating parts and out the back of the car.
Old 03-20-2008, 08:48 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by bender
Metla, I've raced on plenty of tracks as you've described over the past 20 years, and I can honestly only ever recall one or two races in which I've failed to finsh due to rocks, pebbles, dirt etc getting into the drivetrain

I've raced all the open belt drive layout cars from Yokomo, Schumacher, Kyosho, Tamiya etc and whilst you do have to clean them more often, I've never found open layout 4wds to be more costly to run or less reliable.

As long as they supply the car with a close-fitting body and undertray ( which all these manufacturers have been doing for years) then I can't see any problem with it - with the speed the drivetrain is rotating at most small particles simply bounce off the rotating parts and out the back of the car.
That's cool that it suits you, Its still not the design of car I personally would take on an Off-Road course.

Every single car I have ever seen or owned with an exposed drive train has suffered for it in one way or another.

(BTW, The tracks as I described are where I figured such a design might not give too much issue, Anywhere local to me would kill it.)
Old 03-20-2008, 09:33 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Jon Kerr
What I should have said was I don't think it will be a problem. I've seen belt cars like the Tamiya run on some loose dusty tracks and not have issues.
Jon,
the only reason I picked up on what you said is that my local track is a particularly bad track for rocks and stones, so if there's a gap for something to get in, it most probably would at the track I run on.
That said though, I did still get stones in the front gearboxes of my BJ4, so it'd be hard to find anything well enough sealed for that track.
Old 03-20-2008, 09:48 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

and just a quick note to my new best friend HVAC25000.

First I did not claim you were wrong, or right, I merely stated I did not agree with what you said.

NASCAR and F1 have very different rule sets.
Therefore they are very different beasts.
DTM is different again, like I said I don't get the comparison other than they are all race cars.

I do like your Mini vs Cadillac comparison though, but to say I Probably don't even know what an original one looks like..... is again a bit silly of you. I'm from the same island as the Mini and did in fact work in a Rover dealership so have some knowledge of them.

As for narrow, or cramped being better, I guess it would depend on the track, but remind me the current world champ is what?

Oh, and lastly, and just for fun, if man landed on the moon in the late 60s, why haven't we been back?
Old 03-20-2008, 11:28 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 27 (97%+)

Originally Posted by beast95451
Why? I suppose the 501X (with it's exposed belts) is not good offroad buggy either, huh?

once again... they are designed for tracks overseas. which consist of astroturf. no dust issues..

us=dirt/clay
europe=astroturf/plywood.sometimes
Old 03-20-2008, 11:39 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 27 (97%+)

im sure all he was trying to say is the new 4wd buggy looks too much like a touring car with everything trying to be as skinny as possible.. and you can do that

i like how you stated no one runs the we in europe.. thats because they arent designed for the ONROAD tracks with jumps. you modify them to be more like a touring car and viola!!! dialed but no they are designed for blown out, less than ideal dirt tracks.. ever seen a xxx4 on a track with some dips and bumps down the backstraight. ITS DOWNRIGHT HILARIOUS i think its the only 4wd buggy ive seen be able to do a frontflip for no reason.

here the b44 and bj4we and xx4 are king.. they handle the best when the going gets rough. whereas these eurocars get left behind doing silly stunts.

dont get me wrong the schumacher car looks great.. but i just dont see them being huge here due to the dusty dirty tracks and open diffs. no one likes rebuilding diffs before the mains or after a race day.
Old 03-21-2008, 01:51 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by HVAC25000
XXX-4, wide, clunky. S4, slim, and just all around better. And fine, make age relevant, compare it to the BJ4WE, a car of today. The WE is still clunky, and compared to a cramped car like the S4 or the CAT, it's just a bad car. Why do you think no one runs the WE in Europe anymore and everyone runs an S4 even though it costs an extra $500 to turn a WE into one, making total rolling car cost around a thousand?
Everyone in Europe runs a S4? I don't think so, there is only one S4 at my local club out of about 50 people, and I know of only 2 others in my region of the UK, and one of those is an Atomic Carbon driver, I think its the 2+2+2 cell layout that puts most people off, well at least its whats stopping me getting the new S44 conversion kit, won't be able to fit the cells in my BX.

Personaly I like the new Cat, at least its different from anything else out there, plus for us who know what its like to race on grass, it'll be nice to have a car that hasn't been designed with a "blue groove" track in mind
Old 03-21-2008, 07:20 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

can't wait, I wish they were here right meow !

Last edited by kcrisalli; 03-21-2008 at 07:46 PM.
Old 03-21-2008, 05:19 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by kcrisalli
can't wait, I wish they were her right meow !
NERD!!!!
Old 03-21-2008, 06:36 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

wow, "right meow"

you scare me kid!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.