R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 03-17-2008, 04:57 AM   #106
Tech Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by stulec52 View Post
it's funny, but those tyres (tires)are called Mini Spikes !
Work great on grass or astro turf depending on compound ( usually Blue or Green) and also work great indoors in the Yellow compound.
You should see cut spikes or FULL spikes if you want to see a big spike !

I do wonder about how the car will work in North America.
As a UK transplant myself now living in Canada, I have seen first hand the differences in the tracks and suspect the car will be aimed primarily at their home (biggest?) market in the UK. But I also reckon the car will do just fine against the likes of the Kyosho, Tamiya etc.

Did it race in the UK yet?
we need the info !!!
It has not yet been run at a meeting here in the UK, it was supposed to debut at Stotfold on sunday but due to heavy rain it was cancelled.

Ryan
b4dabest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 08:58 AM   #107
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Its much easier to seal up a belt drive train than a shaft. The Losi cars have been excellent in this area, as does the new Tamiya TA05 based 4wd. I havent seen pics of the schumacher without the body, but assume they sealed the belt system. My BJ4 WE was always geting trash in the spur/pinions gears, even with a undertray and velcro on the body to try to make a seal. I eventually went to a RC10GT spur, 32p pinions to make the gear set last. I Dont really care either way about shaft vs belt as long as its sealed to dirt, maybe some creative manufacturer can come up with a B4 style rear end with a drive shaft comming out to connect to the front gear box.
hobbipro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 09:33 AM   #108
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

A release date has not been set. I'm going to stick to my original release info by telling all of you that it is set to be released sometime in 2008.

We also will not have accurate pricing information until we get closer to a release date, the price as of right now is still an unknown for the time being.

Quote:
Hey Adam,
I'd love to pre-order, but I need more info first please.
I need a release date, a price and some pics of what the car actually looks like.
I'm a HUGE Schumacher fan from a LONG time back, including even being a team driver back in Scotland in the mid 90's, so I suspect I'll get one anyway, but I need to know what I am signing up for.

many thanks
Stu
Old 03-17-2008, 11:32 PM   #109
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to stulec52 Send a message via AIM to stulec52

Quote:
Originally Posted by abailey21 View Post
A release date has not been set. I'm going to stick to my original release info by telling all of you that it is set to be released sometime in 2008.

We also will not have accurate pricing information until we get closer to a release date, the price as of right now is still an unknown for the time being.
OK, thanks for that.
so, can I ask, what are the expectations on me if I pre reg?
Am I tied to it even if say the release date comes too late in the season for me for example?

thanks
Stu
Old 03-18-2008, 08:25 PM   #110
Tech Fanatic

any pics of this unit with the lid off,wanna know if the belt system is sealed.
eddie10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 09:23 PM   #111
Tech Champion

Sometime in on or around the middle of the summer?

Quote:
OK, thanks for that.
so, can I ask, what are the expectations on me if I pre reg?
Am I tied to it even if say the release date comes too late in the season for me for example?

thanks
Stu

Last edited by abailey21; 03-19-2008 at 11:16 AM.
abailey21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 03:10 PM   #112
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HVAC25000 View Post
Umm no. Ever heard of dirt/rocks/pebbles? I was running my Mi-3 in a cleaned parking lot 2 nights ago and got a rock in the belt, a week before that I had another. And the track was cleaned for a half hour before I ran, and still I found pebbles to get in my drivetrain.

I can't even begin to imagine, were it not for the fact that I already know, how fast dirt and rocks get into an open drivetrain of a belt driven 4wd buggy. It's just such a simple concept, anything bigger than 1/16-1/8" will stop a belt driven vehicle, and a dirt track is just full of crap that will stop a belt driven buggy dead in its tracks. You can pretend it won't happen all you want, but I've seen it happen over and over and over.

Yes, you may get lucky and make it the whole day without getting a rock in your tranny, but that doesn't make it a rule. I get rocks on a cleaned asphalt track, it's quite obvious it's going to happen with a buggy on dirt. Anyone who thinks different has never ran a buggy in real dirt. The things, no matter how well sealed to the undertray, come back full of dirt....
I wouldn't be concerned about the belt drive getting stuff stuck in it and actually causing a problem. I converted an Mi2 into a rally car and drove it in LOAMY damp dirt, after several packs I had to stop because the rear diff was too packed with clay . You can bet that the small stuff that's able to get past the dirt shields and undertray wont be able to hurt the drivechain. And btw when I've run the Mi2 converted rally car on packed offroad tracks, there's never a problem with junk getting in the drivechain, even when you get out in the marbles.

Don't forget the advantage that you'll never blow front diff gears from running a oneway with a belt drive car. Oh yeah, no torque steer either .

Riding Bikes | Skiing | Helis | Rotor Rage | Cyclone Blades | RC Trim | Dead Kat Raceway
mini-dub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 10:12 PM   #113
Tech Elite

Send a message via ICQ to stulec52 Send a message via AIM to stulec52

I once had a CAT 2000 TC lock up flat out on the straight due to a small stone getting in, but I have also wrecked many front gears on TC3/4 and Tamiya EVO cars, oh and on my BJ4 WE as well.
SO, following mini-dubs sentiments, I prefer belt in off road electric.
Old 03-20-2008, 10:49 AM   #114
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Well here are those pics we've all been waiting for...

http://www.racing-cars.com/main.asp?sitepages=cat_sx2
Buckland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 10:50 AM   #115
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to squarehead Send a message via MSN to squarehead Send a message via Yahoo to squarehead Send a message via Skype™ to squarehead
Thumbs up

What we have all been waiting for...

Last edited by squarehead; 11-29-2010 at 04:06 PM.
squarehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 11:08 AM   #116
Tech Champion

Look like I need to ship McGoo some more bodies!!
Old 03-20-2008, 11:54 AM   #117
Tech Master

Interesting design.
forty6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 12:58 PM   #118
Tech Champion

Couple new updates for you guys on the fence on pre-orders

Retail price for the US should be on or about $499.99

Availability is planned for early to mid summer!

K078 - 4x2 NiMh configuration
K079 - Stick LiPo configuration

Also you can choose your internal gear ratio so you can have a brushed, or brushless version depending on your motor preference

Battery and motor choices, what more could you ask for

Here's my sales pitch.... NO MONEY DOWN, NO MONEY CHARGED BE FIRST IN LINE BEHIND QUITE A FEW PEOPLE AT THIS POINT TO GET THE NEW CAT SeXy!

Last edited by abailey21; 03-20-2008 at 01:17 PM.
abailey21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 02:19 PM   #119
Tech Fanatic

Default schumacher cat sx 4wd buggy

hey all: I'm exited that schumacher is back in the 4wd buggy game,but the first thing i thought after i saw those body off shots was wow that that is a very cramped layout that looks hard to get components in and out. Just my thought
b-man777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 02:28 PM   #120
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by b-man777 View Post
hey all: I'm exited that schumacher is back in the 4wd buggy game,but the first thing i thought after i saw those body off shots was wow that that is a very cramped layout that looks hard to get components in and out. Just my thought
How often does the Servo need to come out? It's the only thing that appears possibly difficult.

RX requires removal of undertray and double sided tape.

ESC will require removal of undertray and double sided tape.

Motor will require removal of undertray and the 2 motor screws, appears that simple to me.

None of those will even require removal of the undertray depending on how you cut and mount it I bet.

NIMHs come out with 4 little clips.

Lipo takes 2 little clips.

The spur, it appears that may be a one screw job, which if it is, is amazing for a 4wd buggy and I'm very proud of Schumacher for that design.

Now of course I could be wrong, but this is what I see in the pictures.

It took me 30+ minutes to change a spur gear in my BJ4 the other day, and you can barely remove the motor without taking the entire motor mount out (20+ minute job) and I'm no slouch. I can not wait to have a car as easy to work on as the CAT
HVAC25000 is offline   Reply With Quote