R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 01-29-2008, 04:11 PM   #1
Tech Apprentice

Default Asto Flight Charger

has anyone had a problem with this charger?
We had a lipo fire at are local track and they belive it was due to the Astro Flight.
Rob Gillespie. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 04:58 PM   #2
Tech Regular

I've had one for a few years now and I love it all though if used improperly can get confused and select the wrong cell count. I've seen many threads on the 109 where people have had fires and all sorts of problems, All issues could have been avoided if the user reads the directions and keeps track of what the charger is doing. 99% of the time the problems come from a user trying to repeak a lipo pack which is not necessary but I do it myself if the pack has been sitting for two weeks or so. There are three phases that the charger will go through when charging "C1" will hit the battery with the amps you select and can change cell count depending on voltage, "C2" will apply the selected amps to the battery and won't change cell count(some of the early software did allow cell count to change but was adjusted in later software so it won't change) and will continue to apply the selected amps until the battery reaches the correct voltage, 4.2 volts per cell. "C3" will bump the battery with the selected amps until it reaches 4.2 per cell then amps will go to "0" and the voltage will fall below 4.2 and the charger will hit with amps again, it will go back and forth like this until the battery will hold 4.2 volts per cell and when it does the charge process will stop and the charge is done. There is a safe way to repeak lipo's if you feel the need, do this.

1. Plug in charger to power supply
2. Turn amp knob to 0
3. Connect battery and wait 3 minutes until the "C1" phase is done
4. Adjust amps when the charger is in the C2 phase
5. Keep an eye on the battery
6. Have fun without the risk of fires

Follow these simple steps and you will have no problems.......BB
Old 01-29-2008, 06:43 PM   #3
Tech Regular

I have had one of these chargers for 3 years and have had no problems with it.
Can't add much to Brad's post but one other problem I have heard of is trying to charge a battery that has been over discharged, If a cell has been damaged it can confuse the charger and it picks the wrong cell count. Usually it will count low which will only terminate the charge early but if the cell has shorted it can cause high voltage and the cell count will be high, causing a exploded lipo if not caught soon.

I have been using lipo's for 3+ years in my airplanes and have had many packs fail but never because of the charger. They have always been damaged by discharging at too high a current (All battery makers lie about their C ratings), discharging to lower than 3 volts per cell or by physical damage.

For the best advice I will quote BB

5. Keep an eye on the battery

Lockhart
Stallard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 08:32 PM   #4
Tech Regular

I'm a airplane fanatic also and the 109 has been just super, it will charge at a fairly high voltage( 9s or 37.8 volts) and 8 amps. It will only pump out 150 to 160 watts so with my 6s A123 packs I can only whack it with 7.5 amps but with 2s like for a car 8 amps(57.6watts) is no problem even 4s a123 I can still do 8 amps (115.2 watts)........BB

If there was any intrest here is a link to the airplane club I belong to.
http://www.nhflyingmisfits.org/

And a link to the club events.
http://www.nhflyingmisfits.org/events/