Wiki Posts
Search

What kind of motor to get?

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2003, 01:36 PM
Tech Apprentice

What kind of motor to get?

CAUTION: n00b questions ahead

I have a XXXT RTR and I'd like to give it some more pizzaz, with the help of a new motor. I would like to get a modified motor, but I don't know how many turns I should start looking at. And waht are rebuildable motors? Are all motors rebuildable, by the way. My ESC is rated for motors down to 17 turns, do you think I should just upgrade my speed control now and get a new motor that's just a little lower turns? I was also looking at NOVAK'S brushless set-up. Would this be too much of a jump?

-- Thanks
--- thousandAnd1
Old 06-23-2003, 06:48 PM
Tech Apprentice

Any takers to answer my question?
Old 06-24-2003, 01:17 PM
Tech Elite

OK, you're begging for replies.

You say you're a newbie.

STICK WITH STOCK!!!

Until you're consistantly in the A, stick with stock. If your track only averages 15 or fewer entries, stick with stock until you consistantly finish in the top 3.

Running mod at club races just introduces additional problems. Much more motor maintainance. Motor more expensive. Better drivers -- harder to win. Need better batteries, and you'll replace them more often. You'll crash more often, and that costs $$$ and reduces practice time.

I run in the novice class myself. My home track (CRCRC) routinely has 15 - 20 entries in novice every week. Stock truck draws another 25 - 40, so I won't move up to stock until I'm consistantly in the top three in novice.

I use a blue-top paradox rebuildable motor. It's got plenty of torque, the truck is faster than I am, and it's cheap. Until I can drive that motor well, there's no point in spending 10 cents on more motor. All it will do is cause me to wreck more often and waste time & money. When you're a newbie, the most important thing is more time on the drivers' stand. Get reliable simple equipment and practice like crazy.
Old 06-27-2003, 08:42 PM
Tech Apprentice

Are you planning on racing, just bashing (playing), or both?
Old 06-30-2003, 07:46 AM
Tech Apprentice

My motor has died, so I had to get a new one, so I chose the Speed Gem 2, and it is tight! I can do wheelies now, in the grass though.

To anyone wanting a new motor of any sort, feel free to post your questions here!