R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 01-23-2008, 07:10 PM   #1
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default Traxxas Rustler

How competive can a Traxxas Rustler be in Stock Truck racing???
Why iam asking, iam getting a Rustler this weekend, and wanting to race it.
Whats a good basic setup???
hrnts69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 07:50 PM   #2
Tech Regular

a rustler isn't that much cheaper than an RTR from a racing company

I have one, and it's fun as all heck, but it's really heavy for it's size and doesn't handle that well

if you're intimidated by a kit, the T4 rtr is about $225 or so and is a good choice
artie's liver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 08:26 PM   #3
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

They are very limited on tuning options. I have one that my son runs in Sportsman with a 19T and I've occasionally had a romp with it in Stock truck.

To get more tuning options, you'll want to replace the arms and hubs/carriers with all RPM pieces. You may want to look at some different shock towers as well. I also have MIP CVD's in there and turnbuckles all around. Stock kit has fixed length links instead of turnbuckles.

It's heavy, but that's not a bad thing if it will be used as a beginner vehicle. Heavy, although slow, helps keep it controllable.

With the right driver, it can get the job done, but it's not the perfect solution. By the time you are done upgrading it you could have bought an RTR XXX or T4. The benefit is that you'd be the most durable truck on the track.
gndprx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 08:42 PM   #4
Tech Addict

Iam just looking at something that a begginer can learn on.
And iam getting the Rustler on a trade, so i have to do what i have, mom dont like me spending my money on "stupid rc cars", but my dad is helping me out BIG Time!!!
Old 01-24-2008, 04:57 AM   #5
Tech Fanatic

If the rustler is what you have to work with, then you can definitely turn it into a good starter racer. Just look into the few mods I listed above to get started.

Here's a shot of the kids Rustler after a particularly muddy day at the track practicing. The only other mods that I didn't list above are the rear wing and crowd pleazer nitro body.

Old 01-24-2008, 08:29 AM   #6
Tech Addict

What body and wing is that???
Old 01-24-2008, 09:22 AM   #7
Tech Fanatic

It's an older proline crowd pleazer body for the nitro rustler I believe. The wing is just a 1/8 scale hard plastic wing on a set of cut down HPI Hellfire wing mounts bolted to the rear shock tower.
Old 01-24-2008, 11:31 AM   #8
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to dieseldog20 Send a message via Yahoo to dieseldog20

if you can try to set the truck up with the electronics that the new rustler has. run a brushless motor and i lipo bat. pack. and get some RPM stuff like the other guys said. you might be spending alittle bit of cash to get it right but with brushless and lipo thats would be a good set up for the rustler. that my opinion.

Good Luck
dieseldog20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 12:19 PM   #9
Tech Regular

i race my rustler and with a few not too expensive upgrades it is as about as competitive as your driving skills. lol. the motor does not last and slowly loses power and eventually dies. i replaced mine with a t-bang 19t and it hauls ***. put turnbuckles all round on the front. it will greatly improve steering and control. replace the bushing in the axles with a decent sized bearing. this will involve getting bearing carriers. i believe the rpm ones fit one end and the nitro rustler the other. check the traxxas website forums for particuliars. you will be surprised how much this improves performance. the last thing you need is the aluminum shock caps. if the plastic ones are not popping off now they will be as soon as you put 40w oil in, which you will prolly prefer for off-road racing. oh, almost forgot the tires/rims. i put off set rims on to improve stability and depending on the surface, a step pin type tire with offset pins is a must. course you can have fun with whatever you are able to run good luck
solardragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 01:00 PM   #10
Tech Master

If you get metal turnbuckles I would recommend Nitro 4-Tec rear carriers, They accept the same size bearings as the rpm carriers and the optional ones give you 1.5 degrees toe in in the rear. I ran associated and losi ballstuds instead of the screw through kind for the rustler.
rockstar81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 07:16 AM   #11
Tech Fanatic

Here you go! Ryan's 2nd day of racing. Didn't finish that well, but I'm still proud of him at age 6 putting it out there on the track!