R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 01-27-2008, 09:43 PM   #31
Tech Master
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)

Hands down the Hyperion EOS0610i.

It has a built in balancer, has a whopping 250W output, and capable of a 2C charge!

http://www.maxamps.com/EOS0610i.htm
HobbyWing
Hyperion
SUNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 10:13 PM   #32
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 50 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by t4usee View Post
We have joined the Lipo bandwagon and want to hear syggestions ofr what chargers people are using.
We are using a borrowed Astro Flight Lithium charger. It does a great job and I like the way it peaks. I does not charge to 90% and then back off untill the battery peaks like other chargers. It registers the batteries voltage at 8.40 volts and then backs down untill the voltage goes down and keeps hitting it that way,,, untill of course the peak. The sad part is I hear this charger is not available any more all though I can find it on the net.
With that said I need some feedback on other chargers for Lipo that are available along with features you guy's like. Thanks a lot!!
I'l tell you right now from an experience last night with an Astro Flight Lithium charger..... they have a serious issue.... the first 7 mins of the charging cycle is locked out.... so if you make a mistake or want to repeak your pack (like this guy behind me last night) it WILL over charge the pack and the possibility of it exploading is high (his did with a fireball about 3' in diameter, all his stuff is toast, easily $2k worth). There's a ton of pics I could find for you if you want to see what happened to this guy.... I have heard they are discontinued and re-called due to so many issues......

The 'soft' peak chargers are definetly the way to go....I'll wait a few extra minutes and keep my eyebrows (and my equipment)

I use a MRC 977 and 989... the 977 will charge 2 packs at once and comes with its own power supply for about half of what some of the others and its been drop dead reliable and safe... my packs only peak at about 8.2v but I cant tell any difference in power from 8.4v.

My .02
Old 01-27-2008, 10:17 PM   #33
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 50 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 22dasher View Post
never had one but theres enough chit chat talk on the net about alot of the lipo makers on the market stress not to use the MRC chargers on there batteries.
I assume your reffering to Orion's tech note?

That was based off the 966 model and that charger has been out of production for a few years.... Orion has been contacted many times to lift theyre tech article but it still seems to pop up here and there.

The 977 and 989 have all the newest programing like any other charger out there, I have personally used mine for along time on all sorts of lipos from receiver packs to starter box batteries to big airplane lipos with zero issues.......
Old 01-28-2008, 06:15 PM   #34
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBBIndy View Post
Hyperion EOS0606i AC/DC Balance Charger because it is great LIPO charger, sold by maxamps for LIPO, DOES NOT NEED A SEPARATE POWER SUPPLY! Which is one less thing to lug arround and find rrom for on the bench.
The EOS0606i AC/DC charger is a very nice charger but it only has a maximum output of 50watts. This could be a problem charging the larger packs (such as 3-cell and 4-cell 5000mah and larger packs). I recently built a 1/8th electric MBX5R and this charger doesn't have enough power to charge the large batteries we are using.

The best option wouold be the Hyperion EOS0610i, but it needs a seperate power supply.

Tonys Screws LLC
http://www.tonysscrews.com
High Grade Alloy Steel Screws, Screw Kits and Mugen Parts
TonysScrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 06:57 PM   #35
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default Agreed

Agreed, but for charging 2s and carrying to the track it is very convenient. I would look at the bigger hyperions if I were going to run bigger packs.
DBBIndy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 08:00 PM   #36
Tech Rookie

Thumbs up

I use a Tritton and Ice both great Lipo chargers
offroaders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 04:59 PM   #37
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 54 (100%+)
Default Lipo Charger

I have just started running lipos in all my nitro stuff...

I had a 977, bought an Equinox external balancer and knock knock have had no problems. I do wish that I had some better info as to setup the charger cuttoffs etc from MRC. I am not certain if I even had to buy the balancer, but thought I'd err to the side of caution.

Someone posted earlier about not needing to balance 2s packs... I am not an engineer, but can't understand why you wouldn't want or need ALL packs balanced, that is where the risk of explosion comes in I think. If you don't charge the cells evenly up to the max charge, one may max out earlier than the other yet the pack still isn't maxed out so it keeps on charging to the preset mah, then the overloaded cell goes up in flames ???

I'm still learning all this, not trying to TELL anything, so those of you that do in fact know what the hell you're talking about, please give us the correct info.

I waited to start running them for a LONG time only due to my ignorance in how to use them.

Tony, I actually just bought another brand of charger due to the specific verbage on Orion's website about MRC chargers. They are NOT specific to which one and it scared me into buying another charger because I had just ordered an Orion pack. If if were my company, I'd have my attorney contact them to rectify the problem if in fact they are incorrectly posting info like this... Just my .02 for MRC, (one of your sponsors I believe?)

Just my .02

I wish I would have read your post earlier than today...Jason
MercyRev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 09:42 PM   #38
Tech Initiate

So, are the new MRC chargers good now. I am looking for a new charger to charge lipos and NIMH packs.
TMXONR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 09:53 PM   #39
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 95 (99%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Newland View Post
I'l tell you right now from an experience last night with an Astro Flight Lithium charger..... they have a serious issue.... the first 7 mins of the charging cycle is locked out.... so if you make a mistake or want to repeak your pack (like this guy behind me last night) it WILL over charge the pack and the possibility of it exploading is high (his did with a fireball about 3' in diameter, all his stuff is toast, easily $2k worth). There's a ton of pics I could find for you if you want to see what happened to this guy.... I have heard they are discontinued and re-called due to so many issues......

The 'soft' peak chargers are definetly the way to go....I'll wait a few extra minutes and keep my eyebrows (and my equipment)

My .02
So if I make a mistake it's the chargers fault?????? What kind of mistake are you talking about? Why would you repeak a lipo???????? Most guys at our track run at least 2 heats per pack before recharging and their lap times don't fall off a single millisecond.

Yes the chargers have been discontinued but I have not seen or heard anything about a recall.
RobbieS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 10:11 PM   #40
Tech Initiate

I have done some reading on 5 or 6 different forums on discussions about the MRC chargers and the problems with them. I also read that MRC has now upgraded their chargers to use the cc/cv charge method. I read that there was an update where you could send a 969 charger in to get it updated to charge cc/cv.

So, is the problem fixed now.
TMXONR is offline   Reply With Quote