Wiki Posts
Search

Team Associated B44. Race, Tune and Modify

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2010, 06:51 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by dbracn
How would everyone gear a 6.5 tekin motor with an 81 spur?

Thinking 81/21 as im running 78/19 or am i way off?
Dave, I used to run my 6.5 at 22/78. Too low (high of a final gear ratio) and the motor can get hot and it feels kind of jumpy and gets squirrely out of corners. The bigger pinion/smaller spur seem to smooth out the power band sometimes.

However, when you race in the Nats next week I recommend something like 6/145. That should be good for you and everyone else I'm competing against. Pass it on, please.
Old 08-11-2010, 07:08 PM
Tech Elite

Location: Conducting aggressive board meetings at my local track
Trader Rating: 64 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mjk1210
However, when you race in the Nats next week I recommend something like 6/145. That should be good for you and everyone else I'm competing against. Pass it on, please.
Lemme guess...64 pitch?
Old 08-11-2010, 08:27 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Just a rudimental gidday..

Just purchased a B44 for my very first off road racing season.

Not gonna ask any questions until after i have read all 5000 odd posts.

So, i hear i have purchased on of the most successful race cars built.. cant wait to race it.

My history is purely onroad racing, mainly 17.5 Stock with new timing speedy. But also dabbled in 10.5 (super stock), and successfully smashed nitro race cars.

Raced states for onroad stock, and getting fired up to race offroad states this October.

Anyway.. good to meet you all.. will ask questions soon enough
Old 08-12-2010, 03:16 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by SpraydbySprague
Lemme guess...64 pitch?
Or smaller if you can find it. Maybe try Grainger. Also be sure to leave the gears nice and LOOSE. They should BARELY touch the tips of the teeth together if you're racing at the Nationals.
Old 08-15-2010, 06:50 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 148 (100%+)

So did they add the new cam motor mount and the new shocks to the kit's as a rolling update?
Old 08-16-2010, 12:08 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Jmuck69
Looks like Ryan Cavalieri's B44 has a different chassis. No cut-outs for the old batteries. Hmmmmm... new B44.1?

http://www.rncfoto.com/RC-Racing/201...40684003_4QjB7
What body is Maifield running?

http://www.rncfoto.com/RC-Racing/201...40684566_7SAja
Old 08-16-2010, 12:29 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Originally Posted by dangerwr
That is the new "Punisher" body from JConcepts. It should be available shortly.
Old 08-16-2010, 01:29 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Jmuck69
That is the new "Punisher" body from JConcepts. It should be available shortly.
Thanks man! I am new to the B44 & stuff. Sounds like people are not too crazy about the "cab-forward" designs but would like to see how it drives before I pass judgment. I ran a B4 & T4 last winter and run electric 8th scale in the summer months. I want to try the electric 4wd 1/10th scale and do not know of a better vehicle than the B44 . . .

Do most guys start with the 2010 Team LiPo setup on AE's website?
Old 08-16-2010, 04:11 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by elektrobuggy
Thanks a lot for this tips.
Yesterday I gave it a try and the adding of washers front improved the steering. Limiters made the car a little bit more difficult in landing after jumps due to reduced droop on this particular track.

Do the ae FT 9721 caster blocks affect the steering? I have heard they have the same angle but drivers recommend to use this. Do they really affect the car in handling or is it just material-strength + bling?
/norbert
If you use just one limiter in the front shocks I think you'll gain alot more steering rather than loose alot of rut and jump predictability. I still use the plastic caster blocks because I havent had any problems with the screws loosening then stripping out the plastic but if your having that problem, the aluminum might be something to consider then
Old 08-16-2010, 04:17 PM
Tech Adept

Thanks man! I am new to the B44 & stuff. Sounds like people are not too crazy about the "cab-forward" designs but would like to see how it drives before I pass judgment. I ran a B4 & T4 last winter and run electric 8th scale in the summer months. I want to try the electric 4wd 1/10th scale and do not know of a better vehicle than the B44 . . .

Do most guys start with the 2010 Team LiPo setup on AE's website?

I would suggest you go to your local track and ask some drivers what they're running. Bring a blank setup sheet and a pen so you can fill it in and wont forget any small details they give you
Old 08-16-2010, 04:37 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by TNS Racing
I would suggest you go to your local track and ask some drivers what they're running. Bring a blank setup sheet and a pen so you can fill it in and wont forget any small details they give you
Yeah, the problem is I know most (if not all of those guys)! But seriously, the fast guys run the Schumacher or the Tamiya cars. Some do run the B44 so I will ask but can just about assure you they are running the stock setup from the box. I am definitely looking to get an edge and start early here in the season.

I guess it would not hurt to build the kit ASAP and start with running the 2010 Team setup so I can ask informed questions . . .
Old 08-16-2010, 04:42 PM
Tech Elite

Yeah, the problem is I know most (if not all of those guys)! But seriously, the fast guys run the Schumacher or the Tamiya cars. Some do run the B44 so I will ask but can just about assure you they are running the stock setup from the box. I am definitely looking to get an edge and start early here in the season.

I guess it would not hurt to build the kit ASAP and start with running the 2010 Team setup so I can ask informed questions . . .
Yeah, just build it and use that to start, the kit setup with 30 wt oil in the rear instead of 25 wt will even get you off to a good start. The car is really good. Practically drives itself. Just yesterday I won the a-main and put the radio down after 3 1/2 minutes to use the bathroom. It was great! Seriously, it's a good car though. You can add a little weight or some limiters to the shocks and ball stud washers after you get a feel for a basic setup and drive a few laps. I think you'll like it.
Old 08-16-2010, 04:49 PM
Tech Elite

OK Here's something I've been wondering for a LONG time but since the car is so good I never really cared. In the 2wd cars the inside ball studs are on top, so adding a washer under them will lower the roll center adding a bit of traction to that end of the car in a turn. BUT on the B44 the ball studs are UNDER the top plate and the angle of the camber link is the opposite. Doesn't that completely change the camber effects of the link and the adding of a washer, or not? Anyone know? Or think they know?
Thanks
Old 08-16-2010, 04:57 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by mjk1210
Yeah, just build it and use that to start, the kit setup with 30 wt oil in the rear instead of 25 wt will even get you off to a good start. The car is really good. Practically drives itself. Just yesterday I won the a-main and put the radio down after 3 1/2 minutes to use the bathroom. It was great! Seriously, it's a good car though. You can add a little weight or some limiters to the shocks and ball stud washers after you get a feel for a basic setup and drive a few laps. I think you'll like it.
Good to know! I just need to build and learn to drive the car before I get too excited about setups but just like to hear what is considered a nice, neutral place to start. Something easy to drive that provides a good foundation before I start tweaking a little bit . . .

What size LiPo's do most use? My brand of choice has a 4000 & 6000mAh version. Sounds like it is suggested to use the LiPo carriage AE sells for the B44. I am worried the 6000mAh might be a little big. Asides we do 6 or 7-min quals and mains. Most guys use an 8.5 motor at our track so I will need to get an idea of gearing soon as well.
Old 08-16-2010, 05:06 PM
Tech Elite

The 5100mah REEDY pack is really good one. I used long screws (3/4" I think) and put them through the thumbscrews and then threadlocked the screws into the hold down posts after putting them through the hold down straps. Get the lipo cradle for sure. I've seen Team drivers put a slit in it down the length in the center to allow it to flex.

With an 8.5 you should be geared around 22/78 or 23/78. Maybe higher since I was using 22/78 with a 6.5. That was indoor with cooler temps at the track surface.

Oh.and do yourself a HUGE favor, spend the $50 on the new motor mount before you build the car and put it in instead of the stock one. It uses a cam and will save you countless hours fiddling with cut-off hex wrenches and 10 degrees of turning the motor screws to get the mesh right. TRUST ME!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.