R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 01-17-2008, 01:31 PM   #16
Tech Elite

A listy of approved brushless motors can be found here under "modified":

http://roarracing.com/approvals/smotor.php

With ROAR approval, the motors meet the specifications for the class (modified) which insures fair competition among racers.
Rick Hohwart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 01:31 PM   #17
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cain View Post
Thanks for the info guys.

For the LRP, I see they have two competition versions, for offroad applications, since you can setup the ESCs, does it really matter? Reason being, I can find the TC version cheaper.

Finally, do the LRP competitions come with the fans shown and are the fans necessary?
I dont use a fan with either of mine, no heatsink on the 2wd and a heatsink on the 4wd. For off road dont buy the TC unless it soley going a 4wd and even then i wouldnt buy that one. Just get the normal compeition. I know its cooler to have a fan but these things dont even get hot i am noticing in off road apps.
Old 01-17-2008, 01:35 PM   #18
Tech Fanatic

For a 1/10th off-road application, I would just get the standard Competition version that does not include the cooling fan. I've seen LRP controls where the extra weight of the fan and the aluminum heatsink pull the aluminum plate right off the FETS of the speed control in the rough off-road classes requiring the unit to be send back to AE for repair.

In 2wd buggy or truck, I don't even use the heatsink. In 4wd i use the heatsink, I do not use the fan in my cars. I've never had overheating issues even while running a 4.5 motor in 4wd.
Old 01-17-2008, 01:37 PM   #19
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrubb View Post
For a 1/10th off-road application, I would just get the standard Competition version that does not include the cooling fan. I've seen LRP controls where the extra weight of the fan and the aluminum heatsink pull the aluminum plate right off the FETS of the speed control requiring the unit to be send back to AE for repair.

In 2wd buggy or truck, I don't even use the heatsink. In 4wd i use the heatsink, I do not use the fan in my cars. I've never had overheating issues even while running a 4.5 motor in 4wd.
Yea boii !
Old 01-17-2008, 01:38 PM   #20
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 240 (100%+)

Thanks for the info guys. I am going to keep an eye out for the LRP Competition ESC then.

Now for motors, looks like Novaks seem to be the popular choice, using the sintered option. Does anyone else make a motor that is any good that has a sintered rotor installed like Orion or anyone else?
Old 01-17-2008, 01:43 PM   #21
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cain View Post
Thanks for the info guys. I am going to keep an eye out for the LRP Competition ESC then.

Now for motors, looks like Novaks seem to be the popular choice, using the sintered option. Does anyone else make a motor that is any good that has a sintered rotor installed like Orion or anyone else?
I dunno, peak and orion are the same motors just different names. Novak and peak/orion are the only 2 i would use.
Old 01-17-2008, 01:44 PM   #22
Tech Fanatic

Just get a Novak, super good quality in every part of the motor, they even have a motor exchange program to reduce the cost should you want a different wind. I would recommend a 6.5 with bonded rotor for 2wd buggy, 6.5 sintered rotor for truck and 4wd for most tracks.

Rick Howart since your reading this, recommend to LRP that they use higher quality aluminum in the LRP motor design or change to larger diameter screws please.
Old 01-17-2008, 04:47 PM   #23
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

The LRP Vector come stock with bonded rotors (except the 3,0,4.0 and 4.5)--and because of that they seem to be a little softer on the bottom than the Novak or Orions. You can get a sintered rotor as an option however that totally changes the feel of the motor--tons of bottom and great top end. No disadvantage to the Vector compared to the Novak and Orion. I really like my Vector 6.5 and want to get a 10.5 (with optional sintered) for my B4.
d16dcoe45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 04:51 PM   #24
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craps View Post
Love my Novak GTB and Novak Velociti Motors!!!!

Novak dominated the top 5 in points at the ECNS that had 20 minute Electric Truck Mains! Fast, Smooth and Reliable!!!
Are you sure you aren't paid by Novak?? lol
kufman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 05:08 PM   #25
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by d16dcoe45 View Post
The LRP Vector come stock with bonded rotors (except the 3,0,4.0 and 4.5)--and because of that they seem to be a little softer on the bottom than the Novak or Orions. You can get a sintered rotor as an option however that totally changes the feel of the motor--tons of bottom and great top end. No disadvantage to the Vector compared to the Novak and Orion. I really like my Vector 6.5 and want to get a 10.5 (with optional sintered) for my B4.
Info will be posted shortly, but all LRP ROAR "stock spec" 10.5, 13.5, 17.5, and 21.5 motors, soon to be released (February), will come with sintered rotors. And all X11 mod motors will come with sintered rotors.
Rick Hohwart is offline   Reply With Quote