R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 01-17-2008, 09:32 PM   #31
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 95 (99%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonysScrews View Post
When I first got into RC racing I ran 1200mah NiCd's in my 1/12th 4-cell carpet car and 1/10th Kyosho Turbo Optima....LOL
I think when we started we were running 800 & 900 Mah cells running 3 minute races and there was no such thing as a losi.
RobbieS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 11:12 PM   #32
Suspended

Thumbs up OLD SKOOL The Dirt Dome-I was 8 years old lol

I remember back then the 1100Mah packs were the 70 dollar race packs in 80's money
Now the race batteries are tottally advanced, like 4000+ and up!
Associated B44/Tamiya 501x WE
Off-road only!
bmaglinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 04:21 AM   #33
Tech Apprentice

Send a message via MSN to deRRo

lithium polymer? why bother with marketing strategies? it'll be tha same S*%t different smell
Old 01-18-2008, 06:25 AM   #34
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonysScrews View Post
When I first got into RC racing I ran 1200mah NiCd's in my 1/12th 4-cell carpet car and 1/10th Kyosho Turbo Optima....LOL

I was speaking in reference to the time when nimh just replaced nicd completly not how long i have been doing this hobby off and on. Lipo will do the same within 4 years i am sure.
Old 01-18-2008, 06:50 AM   #35
Tech Master

Another aspect to look at is battery composition / safety. Some of the larger companies are already starting to produce other types of lithium packs such as the new Lithium Manganese packs. These packs are supposed to be much safer than the LiPo packs currently used.
Old 01-18-2008, 08:17 AM   #36
Tech Regular

Here's the future of lipo's. http://news-service.stanford.edu/pr/...re-010908.html This should up the capacity ten times Figured this would be a good thread for posting something like this....
Old 01-18-2008, 09:17 AM   #37
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 240 (100%+)

Interesting reply guys.

I am very curious to see if it is at all possible for more battery wars to being along the lines of the NIMH matched ones.

Can you match certain packs for higher voltage, lower IR, etc with lipos?
Old 01-18-2008, 09:29 AM   #38
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to windellmc

You guys are forgetting some very good reasons to match Ni-Mh cells that are not issues with Li-Pos. First off you only have two cells with Li-po vs 6 with Ni-Mh. Secondly you have balance chargers that make sure both Li-Po cells are fully charged.

We never had that for Ni-Mh and getting each cell charged at the same time was critical to battery life especially when some of those crazy racers were charging at high currents to improve punch.

I think you also need to realize that ROAR is not going to try to make Ni-Mh survive. They are just bridging the gap so both can live together for a couple of years before everyone goes to Li-Po. My guess is that we will eventually see 4 cell 1/12 cars running on one single Li-po cell (3.7v) or two really small cells (7.4v) with a motor optimized to make the cars handle correctly.
Old 01-18-2008, 09:35 AM   #39
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 26 (96%+)

There isn't a need to advance lipos any more. You can't test them for max voltage because of their nature, & they have so much capacity w/ such a low ir you can't tell a difference in performance over a 6 minute stock race. In mod you just drop a battery in and run a hotter motor to go faster. I have heard of people getting 45+minutes out of a orion 4900 w/ a gtb 13.5.
party_wagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 09:37 AM   #40
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 240 (100%+)

The post I was referring to was this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob-Stormer View Post

Brushless dynos, lipo cycling, laptops to program your stuff. Gonna be a fun year!

I don't think you're grasping what this is going to change. I'm cool with it. Will be fun to try it. But it isn't going to save anybody any money. That's a myth. Matched Lipos are on the way. If they're super consistent, what's it REALLY worth to have a pack that puts out .1 higher ALL THE TIME? We'll find out.

We've all been playing with this stuff for years, it's progression. We raced Lipo last fall in Omaha. Randon didn't mind it, it seemed down in punch compared to nimh, but that will change.
It makes me very curious to see down the road if we get battery wars, the revenge!
Old 01-18-2008, 10:59 AM   #41
Tech Addict

Default Zapped and pushed cells ;)

I'm waiting for the idiot that thinks he can push the mah or zap the voltage. Personally i got all the Lipo's i need for a long long time, My local track will run RC-Pro rules so i do not have to worry about hard cases either. I race Off-road, but if i dabble into on-road I'll get a couple of the 3600 orions
crazyjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 11:16 AM   #42
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyjr View Post
I'm waiting for the idiot that thinks he can push the mah or zap the voltage. Personally i got all the Lipo's i need for a long long time, My local track will run RC-Pro rules so i do not have to worry about hard cases either. I race Off-road, but if i dabble into on-road I'll get a couple of the 3600 orions
True dat, If you want to go fast then run a 2.5turn bl motor. You won't get outrun.
Old 01-18-2008, 11:27 AM   #43
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stallard View Post
Since I started the battery wars have been hot and heavy with new packs coming out with higher C ratings and lighter packs every 3-6 months.

I expect to see the same in car packs. I also expect to see companies lie about capacity and C ratings as they have been doing in the air packs.
They are lying already. Radio Shack is getting bad about that.
Remember those 3300 GP batteries I raced with Lock?
Well, thier website says GP packs but they have been replaced by unmatched
cells that dont have barely any punch. People on another website have been
complaining about that. But GP packs I have are great, just not those imitations.
I do buy radio shack rosin core solder though.
Associated B44/Tamiya 501x WE
Off-road only!
bmaglinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 03:15 PM   #44
Tech Elite

When you can purchase a pair of packs that will last you for 2 years & running 2 or more classes for under $200 it will make things awsome.
Old 01-18-2008, 04:54 PM   #45
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by party_wagon View Post
When you can purchase a pair of packs that will last you for 2 years & running 2 or more classes for under $200 it will make things awsome.
Already Did that....... Well actually it was $218. According to the batts I use they are good for 100 race condition charges (read peak performance) and I don't race electric in the summer, and since I can get 2 heats out of each battery they only get charged once a weekend, I should easily get 2 years out of these packs. Especially since I can't get a kitchen pass to go racing every weekend.