R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 01-18-2008, 10:53 PM   #61
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Also does anyone know where I could find a smaller spur gear for an associated? I have already geared my 13.5 30/78 and you almost run out of room to move the motor back far enough. I am thinking you are going to need to be around a 35-39/78 to make the kind of power you will need out of a 17.5.
Might need smaller slipper pads and plates as well really. Moving the motor is a big bias change. I big tuning option on the B4 or any offroad car is the choice between 81 and a 78 spur. Drastically alters handling.

Quote:
We have a bunch of pussies at our track,they would rather run stock!
Well, I can kind of understand what you are saying. Some guys really should be running mod. But if they enjoy stock, let em run it. I much rather have a newer guy running stock than be in my 2wd mod qualifier. haha

Quote:
Right.... Illinois state champion and Indiana state champ means nothing....

In micro's?
He can throw down....mod or stock. Care to share how many titles you have?

All kidding aside. I particularly don't like the idea. It's going to take some pretty large altering as far as spur/pinions go to make it work...even possibly slipper and top shaft modifications to have the current chassis work. Won't bother me much as I run stock about once a year, but occasionally it was nice to run both mod and stock with the same car. Making that changeover may be more difficult now. Just something to think about.
PGibby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 11:24 PM   #62
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by losidriver70 View Post
Well seems you don't have a clue or cannot drive and tell the difference!
He is pissed that he can't keep his advantage.
Elfwizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 11:41 PM   #63
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Lets see... I won all the time with a stock motor. Now, I win all the time with a 13.5....NOPE, cant tell the difference.

In all seriousness, I think ROAR has made the best moves(BL & Lipo) I have ever seen it make in the 15 years I've been in this hobby. I dont really think in offroad that there needs to be 3 tiers of classes. Around my region 19t is almost non existent except for 1 track I can think of, but they have no stock classes at all. All the tracks we race at all use 13.5's and will continue to this year. So I guess in 2009 it'll just be called super stock. Nothing at all will change for us.

How long has the 17.5 been available anyway?? I never noticed until recently. I strongly doubt anyone has had time to do accurate comparisons for offroad. I do know that the gearing issue will be the biggest problem.
aeRayls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 11:47 PM   #64
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to AxiomJacob

Quote:
Originally Posted by losidriver70 View Post
In micro's?
Yes since people care about them.

Rayls are you going to ft wayne sunday? I guess they replaced the 3 doubles with a triple. I plan on going over in the sub zero weather.

Proline Racing
AxiomJacob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008, 05:22 AM   #65
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

http://hometown.aol.com/sheath9831/raceway071407.html

That is the results from the ROAR Region 5 race at Summit RC. ROAR had a separate 13.5 stock class and a Brushed stock class. (13.5 was 6 minute, stock was 5 minutes). Look at the lap times and you will see that there is no difference (in fact, there is an edge for BRUSHED stock). If you want, look at the layout too- it is not a small technical layout, it requires SPEED and POWER. Now lets all imagine that the 13.5's were 17.5's....you would have people falling asleep on the straight away, and casing everything else.

And to the F***Head that said 'stock is for pussies', you have a lot of guys talking in this forum right now that race stock for the sheer fact that it is competitive- these are guys that can (and have) run mod very well at a high level. On a night when mod is 'the' class where you have a lot of people, most of us are in it. Stock is normally 'the' class, so we all run it.

Hot Bodies Racing www.hotbodiesonline.com
Tekin www.teamtekin.com
Team Checkpoint
ms3 Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008, 06:12 AM   #66

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

non issue here in midatlantic area, no1 has run stock or 19t in years. its all mod. problem solved, and solved fast

R
UltegraSTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008, 01:26 PM   #67
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

Yeah, until a rookie takes you out.
desertraton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008, 01:33 PM   #68
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Exactly, a mod in the wrong hands = breakage. The 17.5 should solve all of that

Hot Bodies Racing www.hotbodiesonline.com
Tekin www.teamtekin.com
Team Checkpoint
ms3 Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008, 02:22 PM   #69
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ms3 Chris View Post
Exactly, a mod in the wrong hands = breakage. The 17.5 should solve all of that
17.5 is way to slow, have newbies start with a 13.5 or 10.5

Wells Fargo Home Team
theanimaleide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008, 04:11 PM   #70
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Jaco, I'm goin, you wanna ride together?? email me [email protected]
aeRayls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008, 05:04 PM   #71
Tech Fanatic

So will there be a T5 and B5 with lower gearing for the 17.5 and 13.5 motors?

Without busting out a dremel, getting the proper gearing for a 13.5 can be hard if the track is larger or has smaller jumps. If you go to the 17.5, the motor is capable of laying down some great lap times, but with out the proper gearing that motor will look like a turd rolling singles instead of high flying a triple.

17.5 motors will get faster, untill then local tracks just need to pick either make 13.5 the stock class or start phasing in the 17.5 with changes to the track. The 17.5 will be slower than the 13.5 and allow more control for the newer guys. I assume that if you are on this thread the 17.5 may be too slow for you so stick with the 13.5 or bump up to mod. But to the new racers, the 17.5 will be plenty fast enough.

Local tracks may need to be altered to allow the slower buggys/trucks to get around the track without having to roll every double or triple. In time when the proper gearing can be used and the motors get more development and batteries get more punch, 17.5 will be just as fast as todays 13.5.

So in respect to ROAR, thank you for the keeping all things in persepctive.
trailranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 07:28 AM   #72
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Default motors

in a sense i guess were all like our politicans we can't agree on anything. Only difference is they are getting paid $169,000 a year for it. (that is including their raise they gave them selves). As far as the debates goes , at FTR (factory tracks racing) the 17.5 gives up nothing to even the best tuned 27t. Believe it or not it actually comes down to the driver. Isn't that true in most races? We have guys run the 17.5 in the mod class and compete well. It all comes down to your driving skills.. Also remember what we tell the novices? SLOW IS FAST. have a nice day
newbie2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 07:29 AM   #73
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Default motors

in a sense i guess were all like our politicans we can't agree on anything. Only difference is they are getting paid $169,000 a year for it. (that is including their raise they gave them selves). As far as the debates goes , at FTR (factory tracks racing) the 17.5 gives up nothing to even the best tuned 27t. Believe it or not it actually comes down to the driver. Isn't that true in most races? We have guys run the 17.5 in the mod class and compete well. It all comes down to your driving skills.. Also remember what we tell the novices? SLOW IS FAST. have a nice day
newbie2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 09:08 AM   #74
Tech Elite

It's rediculous to think 17.5 is too slow. It runs equivalent to all the old 27t motors were all used to racing. Your an idiot if you think 13.5 is equivalent to 27t. We all know 13.5 runs faster with the 19t. I've never seen a brushed 19t beat a 13.5 yet, so actually there's a lot of people thinking they are equivalent to like a 17t motor. This may be true. The old days of brushed motors and they're maintenance are almost a thing of the past. Weird isn't it.
theDover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 09:45 AM   #75
Suspended

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by theDover View Post
Your an idiot if you think 13.5 is equivalent to 27t.

+1
losidriver70 is offline   Reply With Quote