R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric Off-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-off-road-4/)
-   -   Kyosho lazer ZX-5 RTR (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-off-road/200586-kyosho-lazer-zx-5-rtr.html)

Rc guy 01-13-2008 06:16 PM

Kyosho lazer ZX-5 RTR

I am looking at buying the Kyosho lazer ZX-5 rtr. are these pretty good buggies? are there any parts that i should get right away?

thanks

Jason Pelletier 01-13-2008 06:30 PM

What's your plans for the buggy ? racing or bash ? I would say if your gonna race to start out get a normal lazer and a 8.5 xbr brushless setup if you have a smaller track. You will outgrow that radio and speed controller they give you.but bashing just get the rtr

OG RC 10T 01-13-2008 07:35 PM

The Koyosho is a great buggy. If you buy the rtr you will need to install the foam tire inserts right from the start.

If your new to rc it is a great buggy. If you plan on racing get the kit and piece your parts together.

Racerx336 01-13-2008 11:12 PM

I started off with the RTR because I had no plans to race, just get some track time in for fun. The car was great. I put a 19T and a Novak GTS in it and it was amazing. It would easily have been competitive in the mod buggy class at a club race. Great car for the $$$

Turbo Joe 01-14-2008 12:28 AM

It's basically the same as the standard ZX-5, aside from the plastic shock bodies and the tires. It's a hell of a deal for the money. :nod:

I think the SpeedtechRC was selling the things for around 200?? I don't see them on the website, but I know he has them there,or at least he did. :eek: Killer deal...

http://www.speedtechrc.com/store/ebcategory.asp?id=28

Jaysun 01-14-2008 09:53 AM

I and a few at the new track at moroso in florida have these and with the stock 20 turn is good enough with the technical track we have. these ready sets do lap after lap. I just built a set of tires for it and will later on put my mamba in it. If you have have a loose dirt track get an underbody. i also put a hole in my body for the heatsink of my motor to stick through so to help with south florida summers.

hyperguy 01-16-2008 03:16 PM

not a bad car for the price, but definitely get new wheels and tires if you are planning on racing, if not the rtr tires will do just fine for bashing or if the track has just been rebuilt.

bustitup 01-21-2008 08:39 AM

Originally Posted by Jaysun (Post 4072919)
I and a few at the new track at moroso in florida have these and with the stock 20 turn is good enough with the technical track we have. these ready sets do lap after lap. I just built a set of tires for it and will later on put my mamba in it. If you have have a loose dirt track get an underbody. i also put a hole in my body for the heatsink of my motor to stick through so to help with south florida summers.

do you have any info on track availability ....I live about 3 miles from moroso in palm beach florida

Jaysun 01-27-2008 05:58 PM

The track is in moroso all the way in the back. Its ran by action rc. 561-842-7747 Dan is the owner

baw888 01-25-2009 07:09 PM

zx5 rtr

I got the rtr an started racing with it. In Stock class the handling was perfect with heaps of steering. I did break lots of shock tower mounts on the rear cos our local track has some huge jumps. Also broke the front uni drive shafts (x7) before I up graded to the CVs. Other than that its a great car. You also might find you wear alot of plastic diff outdrives with a mod motor.

To get it on the track and become reliable, just add the following:

Proper tyres
Alloy shock mounts
Steel CVs

Good luck with it!!

Brad

neltime64 01-25-2009 08:20 PM

I'm new to off-road and considering buying the ZX-5 RTR. Which brand wheel can be used with this RTR?

riene5 01-25-2009 10:05 PM

I bought a ZX5 RTR to start out with and it was (and still is) excellent. Perfect for novice class racing out of the box.

Here's a few suggestions that come from my experiences with it:

The tires it comes with a hopeless and are pre glued, so get some acetone and soke the wheels in it to get them off. You can use them if you like, but as mentioned before they don't have foam inserts in them - put some in and notice the difference.

The stock kit comes with no undertray but the chasis has holes in it where the motor is and battery sits. Get an undertray. I got a 3Racing one for cheap and it was, well, cheap. After about 5-6 races, there is more tape on the undertray than lexen. Since I have bought a B44 undertray and with a few modifications it will fit nicely. For comparison, I run a B44 also, and the undertray on that car has no cracks at all for the same amount of time racing (on the same track). I hear the Azarashi undertrays are excellent, but I am having trouble tracking them down.

The 27T motor that comes with the car is quick enough to begin with (comes with a 28T pinion) but since it is not rebuildable, it will die eventually. I ended up frying mine, but it did last 8 or so race meets - the death seems a little premature to me - maybe I got unlucky. I have now in the process of putting a brushless ESC motor combo in it and I'm finding out there is not a lot of room in the chassis - the stock esc and reciever are very small.

I've also just bought some velvet coated shocks (front / rear) but haven't put them on yet, but the standard plastic ones are certainly up to the job.

I haven't broken a thing on this car so far - straight out of the box it handled beautifully and had a fair turn of speed to it. I'm running a 20C lipo in it at the moment so I'm not stressing the drivetrain too much.

I recomend this car whole heartedly. For novice racing you wouldn't really need to change anything.

The only negative I can think of is that the wheel trigger controller feels cheap compared to the DX3.0 I use on the B44. However it works well and the price you can't really complain.

Sorry to steal the thread for a sec, but does anyone know the stock weights of the oils in the shocks on the RTR? I'm putting the new shocks on and want to use the same oil as out of the box it was perfect for the track that I run at.

gharm 01-26-2009 04:11 PM

I have been looking at the ZX-5 rtr also. Will the drivetrain be durable with a Mamba Max 4600 sysem and will this system fit the chassis ok?
Thanks

gharm 01-29-2009 08:00 PM

Thanks for the help. I bought a b44.

yellow1 01-30-2009 11:08 PM

Originally Posted by gharm (Post 5345468)
I have been looking at the ZX-5 rtr also. Will the drivetrain be durable with a Mamba Max 4600 sysem and will this system fit the chassis ok?
Thanks

congrats on the purchase. you will like it.
x2 on the undertray. i run on a loose bmx track with lots of pebbles. the azrashi (sp?) undertray keeps most of the debris out, however it does not fully conform to the RTR chassis, thus there are a few parts where rocks can still get in.

also, i stuck a CC 5700 kv motor plus sidewinder inside my RTR. you will have some trouble routing the wires under the body, but one you're done, you are golden. add a 2s lipo, the buggy goes super silly fast.

as for spare parts.. it's easier if i list them:
KYOLAW31
KYOLA219
KYOLA209
KYOLA210
KYOLA201 - for these, there is also a set of rings that you must purchase... however, i cannot find the item number. it should be in your manual