Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Losi CR vehicles, holding pattern till something better is ready? >

Losi CR vehicles, holding pattern till something better is ready?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Losi CR vehicles, holding pattern till something better is ready?

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2008, 08:45 AM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)
Default Losi CR vehicles, holding pattern till something better is ready?

I am thinking of picking up either a 2wd buggy or a 2wd truck (if I have to ) for the 1/10 scale classes.

Right now I am looking at Losi a bit more lately as I have done the AE thing and would like to try something different, and losi have both vehicle options. (no truck from Kyosho or Academy).

Anyway, how long do you guys think the CR vehicles will be around till losi releases a new vehicle? Also, for those who own the buggy and truck, do you feel the truck is the better value based on the parts on it versus what the buggy has? I guess it to me the initial look it seems as if the truck has a little more going for it visually (especially the quick change hubs) than the buggy.

Thanks.
Old 01-09-2008, 09:21 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 29 (97%+)

If you go w/ losi then just pick up a used xxx or xxx-t, the cr chasis is not good and will be cracked after your 1st race weekend. If you want a change I would just pick up the academy buggy, it really is the best bang for the buck & if you are running 2 classes then there really won't be many parts you can interchange. alum pivots, high quality materials, & a great price tag sound great to me.
Old 01-09-2008, 09:53 AM
Tech Legend

yeah, the GV2 is on my mind, really liked the SB's I had and they were great for sponsors as well.

Will look again I think.
Old 01-09-2008, 10:05 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

I've raced mine CR about 4-5 weekends and took some big hits including getting stepped on my a marshall at the end of the strait. I don't have a cracked chassis.

I think the CR drives great. I hadn't raced 2wd buggy for about 2.5-3 years so I picked it up, started with Robber's setup and tuned from there to suit my driving style. It is well balanced, easy to drive. I don't think you could go wrong with it.
Old 01-09-2008, 10:09 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 29 (97%+)

A lot of people say their chasis isn't cracked untill they take a good look @ the spot that cracks. If you like driving the ae cars then the losi will take some getting used to. It really is a whole nother bread of car. You can pick up chasis for cheap if you decide to pick one up though.
Old 01-09-2008, 02:42 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Cain
Anyway, how long do you guys think the CR vehicles will be around till losi releases a new vehicle? Also, for those who own the buggy and truck, do you feel the truck is the better value based on the parts on it versus what the buggy has? I guess it to me the initial look it seems as if the truck has a little more going for it visually (especially the quick change hubs) than the buggy.
Considering the buggy is less than 2 years old, and the truck just recently came out, i dont think you'll see anything new from the Losi factory. I could be wrong, but that's just my observation. Also, unless your track is very hard or abrasive, the chassis will not crack the 1st time out as said above. I have had a chassis crack in the past on very hard and awkward landing, yes, but the newer-material EA3 (with the dot . under the A) does not break as easily. You also have the option of the graphite chassis. Every car has it's growing pains, the 1st run B4 chassis back in '03 were breaking as well...

Also, keep in mind that - if you have a car that the track/LHS does not carry parts for, it's hard to keep it running unless you know people with parts. I'd hate to have a major part break in qualifying, and not be able to race the rest of the night because the shop doesn't carry parts. Most tracks carry AE and Losi stuff; my local track carries AE, Losi and Kyosho stuff now, which are the only cars you really see here. Guys have tried yokomo 4wd's, Tenth-tech, etc, but they pretty much disappeared once the guys broke something and could no longer run that day... just something to think about...
Old 01-09-2008, 02:57 PM
Tech Legend

Originally Posted by Lars Johnson
Considering the buggy is less than 2 years old, and the truck just recently came out, i dont think you'll see anything new from the Losi factory. I could be wrong, but that's just my observation. Also, unless your track is very hard or abrasive, the chassis will not crack the 1st time out as said above. I have had a chassis crack in the past on very hard and awkward landing, yes, but the newer-material EA3 (with the dot . under the A) does not break as easily. You also have the option of the graphite chassis. Every car has it's growing pains, the 1st run B4 chassis back in '03 were breaking as well...

Also, keep in mind that - if you have a car that the track/LHS does not carry parts for, it's hard to keep it running unless you know people with parts. I'd hate to have a major part break in qualifying, and not be able to race the rest of the night because the shop doesn't carry parts. Most tracks carry AE and Losi stuff; my local track carries AE, Losi and Kyosho stuff now, which are the only cars you really see here. Guys have tried yokomo 4wd's, Tenth-tech, etc, but they pretty much disappeared once the guys broke something and could no longer run that day... just something to think about...

No worries about LHS, there isn't one. So whatever I get, it will have parts on the ready for it.
Old 01-09-2008, 03:08 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

One of the biggest handling benefits of the CR truck is the chassis' extra length (assuming we are talking about the main chassis cracking, I have not heard of that). I don't think the CR length truck chassis is available.

Cain, having run both the AE stuff and the Losi stuff I can contribute another important bit for you. The AE truck and buggy share far more common parts (front spindles, caster blocks, rear hubs, axles, etc) than the Losi truck and buggy do. It might be easier to arrange for having spares on hand with the AE stuff. Of course, if you decide on just a buggy, you've got to try the GV2. The car rocks and is tough as nails!
Old 01-09-2008, 03:13 PM
Tech Legend

Yeah Yeah! I have been getting that a lot lately on the GV2 Who knows, maybe..
Old 01-09-2008, 03:21 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

GV2 And who knows......maybe a GV-T down the road?
Old 01-09-2008, 03:50 PM
Tech Master

I have to agree with Lars. My XXXT-CR is very durable and works awesome, however I did change the rear T-plate to the graphite one and to top it off I run for MRC/Academy as well, so I am a little bit biased on the buggy, however I will admit, my CR buggy ran very well. All I have to say is that if Academy comes out with a truck, I hope they take a lot of cues from the Losi truck. As for the 4wd, I really like my SB.

My $.03 cents.........