R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 01-08-2008, 06:05 PM   #1
Tech Rookie

Default RC18T Steering Problems

I am having a little trouble with my RC18T holding the steering on center... i can center the steering trim but as soon as i run it 50' the steering is back off center... I bought it used off ebay and am a newbie... any suggestions what the problem may be?
hank03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 06:43 PM   #2
Tech Regular

The servo saver has a small plastic "C" shaped part that flexes when you crash into something, after many hits it tends to get weak and won't center the steering very well so take a look at that. The rest of the linkage needs to friction free also or it won't center. One of my racing buddys has a metal clip that goes around the plastic "C" portion of the saver to make it firmer but I have no idea where he got it. I use a 1/8" wide strip of electrical tape wraped only twice around the "C" part to make it firmer(poor man's way). One thing to know is if the saver is to strong then you will strip the steering servo.......BB
Attached Thumbnails
RC18T Steering Problems-ascc0041.jpg  
Old 01-08-2008, 08:30 PM   #3
Tech Rookie

Thanks... I think it was a combination of things... that clip does appear to be weak, I replaced it and it improved things.... i then adjusted the toe and camber and that made things even better... its not perfect, but it is 100% better
Old 01-12-2008, 10:29 PM   #4
Tech Rookie

Update.... that wasnt the problem...I bought this thing used, it had the upgraded aluminum steering bellcrank parts... the part that attaches directly to the servo was "bad"... the"c" shaped part fits snug around the factory original, but the aluminum part had some play in it... it didnt show any wear, I just think it was poorly manufactured... upgrades are not always an improvement over the factory original.... now its 1000% better...works like a champ now!