R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 01-08-2008, 04:42 PM   #1
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 26 (96%+)
Default 1000 gram 2wd

I believe that people should take a look at the running gear available & consider running much lighter cars. You can nock about 500 grams off the typical weight by switching to a 2100 lipo, a small bl esc, & a 380 sized bl motor which can easily put out around 250 wats of power. Now, a setup like this would make these buggies almost unbreakable at 2/3rds the regular weight & you wouldn't notice any differance in performance. Not to mention you could spend $150 on batteries, motor, charger, & an esc for a great race rdy setup. I don't see any reason why people would not want to try and make 2wd cheaper & more durable then it already is. As products become more & more expensive it would only seam logical to make the best gateway class the most affordable & one of the most durable classes possible. When people want to bash they purchase monster trucks, when they want to become serious about racing the best step is a 2wd buggy.
party_wagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 06:34 PM   #2
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

TRACTION=SPEED most super light setups dont have enough traction so usually it slows the racing down.
schmelme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 07:55 PM   #3
Tech Elite

Have you ever tried to stick super stiff springs on your current ride? It handles poorly then doesn't it? Simply come up w/ new setups for the car.
Old 01-08-2008, 10:22 PM   #4
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

I like the opposite idea. Heavier more powerful buggies. Build it like an 8th scale durability wise. The current motor and battery setups have the power to push the weight.
cfwdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 11:51 PM   #5
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfwdude View Post
I like the opposite idea. Heavier more powerful buggies. Build it like an 8th scale durability wise. The current motor and battery setups have the power to push the weight.
I agree, 540 brushless is hear to stay, more powerful batteries will keep on coming no matter what chemical format it may come from, bullet proof existing 10th buggies and trucks, and popularity will increase.

xxxcr
xxx4
xx4
raceGEEK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 12:13 AM   #6
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 110 (100%+)

I also agree with making the cars more durable. Build them like an 8th scale that way they can hold up to the power new brushless systems are putting into them.
tschenck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 12:53 AM   #7
Tech Elite

I'll 4th that.

If we run Mod. BL, own LIPO's, chargers, ...

Do we want to change all that, or do we buy a stronger 10th scale buggy/truck when the current one is worn out?

Because we buy LIPO and BL, because we know when we buy that stuff, it will outlast several cars when handled properly.

+ the buggy/truck kits cost about as much as a BL ESC now, if you bump that price by 1/4 of it you can find good new 1/8th scale buggies.

so the 2wd's would cost a little more, last alot longer, more fun to drive/maintain, ...

Just, IMHO
Old 01-09-2008, 07:36 AM   #8
Tech Elite

If your b4 weighed in at 1000 grams race ready instead of 1500 grams race ready then your buggy would virtually never break. Your electronics would cost less then half of what they do now, & you could still be wicked fast. There is no point in spending the money just because you can. When people show up to your local track & ask how much you should not have to see a frown on their face after you respond. The quality of the top tier products is good enough atm. It's time to start working on that quantity number. You have seen where 4wd tc has taken the quality aproach & most will agree its too expensive. Perhaps if you want a better time at the track then improve the odds that some one shows up w/ a decent setup to your local track.
Old 01-09-2008, 08:20 AM   #9
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 77 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by schmelme View Post
TRACTION=SPEED most super light setups dont have enough traction so usually it slows the racing down.
I think it all needs to slow down. We're to the point that most of us can drive around the track allright but actually racing with another car without crashing is nearly impossible. Slowing everything down a little would bring us back to actually racing. Plus the tracks would seem alot bigger.

In mind and body, we're all heading towards old age. It is slower to go by bike.
Davidka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 08:24 AM   #10
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by schmelme View Post
You're kidding, right?

Is that why full size race cars try to shed as much weight as possible? To go slower?

You just need to change your set-up to adapt to a lighter car. It might even require new tire compounds for lighter cars.

I like the idea myself.
foolio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 08:52 AM   #11
Tech Elite

Well, if you make a 1/1 race car you dump your standard tires first of all.

That way you can then pick a tire that will work with your car.

Now, translate this into relevant info:

We now run what you could call "street tires", if compared to 1/1 tires.

Because they are a standard part on lots of cars.

So if the brands would build cars to accomodate 380Bl, tiny LIPO batts and small speedo's we would need "race car tires" with more traction.

Wich could mean we will see tire prices double, who knows?
As i think making tires with better traction drive the price up, but i dont know if it is so in RC tires?
Old 01-09-2008, 08:58 AM   #12
Tech Fanatic

If everybody lowered the weight of their cars to reduce breakage, what would stop the manufacturer's from making the parts out of a more brittle plastic to increase the breakage levels back to normal?

Full size cars are not a very good comparison to r/c cars because they carry extra heavy stuff, like people and steel roll cages, and seats, seatbelts, and other safety equipment. They also have minimum weights they have to meet as well.

An even more intresting comparison would be to compare something like an old 1967 Camero weight to the weight of my current Honda Civic. Sure, the Civic has a lower weight, but it sure breaks alot more parts in an accident. On the other end of the spectrum, a heavy 1/8th nitro buggy break less than a lighter 1/10th buggy.

There is simply more to why parts break then the total weight of the car being the reason.

Last edited by Scrubb; 01-09-2008 at 09:17 AM.
Scrubb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 09:14 AM   #13
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrubb View Post
If everybody lowered the weight of their cars to reduce breakage, what would stop the manufacturer's from making the parts out of a more brittle plastic to increase the breakage levels back to normal?

Full size cars are not a very good comparison to r/c cars because they carry extra heavy stuff, like people and steel roll cages, and seats, seatbelts, and other safety equipment. They also have minimum weights they have to meet as well.
I'd have to disagree with you on that. All this racing stuff just boils down to physics. R/C cars have weight requirements as well. A lot of the same things translate 1 to 1 when it comes to setting up and racing our cars. Look at Full Scale Stadium truck racing. The biggest things in setting up their cars are springs, shocks, tires, ride height, etc...Same things we use in RC. These adjustments are made to maximize grip and handling (control) whether you are talking full size or scale. Yes, there may be some things that full size can adjust that we can't and vice versa. My point is that all the main adjustments are used in both types of racing.

Of course, I am getting off topic here.

That was a good point made about the manufactures reducing the strength of parts if they weren't required to be so strong. Can't really control that. However, that's at least a model or two down the line before that would happen IMO.
foolio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 09:37 AM   #14
Tech Elite

1/8th scale buggies don't break very often and that hasn't stopped the companies from using high quality parts. Not to mention changing to a 380 sized motor & 2100 lipo would be a whole lot easier then converting a li//bl buggy as we see done so often.
Old 01-09-2008, 09:40 AM   #15
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 240 (100%+)

I just don't think the idea will work as its based on the fact that you are dropping the weight of electronics. Who is to say that manufacturers won't just drop the weight of the vehicles?

I personally like the feel of heavier vehicles as I:

1. Don't need super duper soft tires that burn out in 1 race day as the extra weight gives (or at least, thats how it feels to me going from 1/10 to 1/8) more bite

2. You can add more beef to the vehicle suspension parts

Do I think either of these could happen, nope. at least not a significant change that doesn't hurt the current vehicle owners.