Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by C_O_jones View Post
That's why nitro has a 1/10th class with smaller engines
So 1/10th
1/8th
Truggy,
still looks like three classes to me.

They also have small block monster trucks and big block monster trucks.
Old 01-13-2008, 07:58 AM   #107
Regional Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmaglinger View Post
I wonder if that would actually work?
Is Team Brood still around?
Yes Team Brood is alive and strong. Many people still win with brushed motors and a lot of them are still coming out of the brood shop.

As for that motor arm. It runs like a 19t and would blow away current stock motors. That arm has about 10hrs of hard running on it. But alas the current limitations in brushed motors wont let inovation of that kind compete with the powers that grease the ROAR system.
Old 01-13-2008, 09:24 AM   #108
Tech Adept

Default Cheating

As far as club racing goes, since people are cheating with their brushless anyway. Why not cheat and throw a 19 turn out there to keep up with them. If its a little bit faster Oh well, they don't seem to care that they have an advantage right now right?

And it IS and advantage, there are jumps at our track that brushed can't clear and brushless can.
Elfwizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2008, 09:29 AM   #109
Suspended

Cheating isnt the word for it pal.
You gota drive good to win, it has nothing to do with a 13.5 brushless motor.
I've seen brushed motors win the race before.

Put it this way, I got beat last sunday with a 10T brushed motor in a original BJ4 kit,
He has lipo in his car, I'm running a 7.5 brushless Elite 3600 cells.

I couldnt win because I didnt make the laps as good as he did.
Yet he was a 25+ year racer, I'm just a 3+ year racer.
Eventually my time will come to win!
Associated B44/Tamiya 501x WE
Off-road only!
bmaglinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2008, 09:38 AM   #110
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmaglinger View Post
Cheating isnt the word for it pal.
You gota drive good to win, it has nothing to do with a 13.5 brushless motor.
I've seen brushed motors win the race before.

Put it this way, I got beat last sunday with a 10T brushed motor in a original BJ4 kit,
He has lipo in his car, I'm running a 7.5 brushless Elite 3600 cells.

I couldnt win because I didnt make the laps as good as he did.
Yet he was a 25+ year racer, I'm just a 3+ year racer.
Eventually my time win come to win!
No Cheating is the exact word for it, look at the rules. Plus I have won races many times. When there are jumps that a 27 turn has to single single, and a brushless can clear it, they can put 10 secs on you by the end of the race!

No doubt about it its an advantage.

In modified the brushless vs brushed is not that big of a deal because I can make up the speed, In stock you can't!
Old 01-13-2008, 09:42 AM   #111
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 77 (100%+)

Yeah, it's only cheating if it's against the track's rules. If the rules say stock is 13.5 BL with sintered rotor or 27.5t stock brushed and the brushed is slower than the only answer is to use the BL or lose. For what it's worth, I thought it was a mistake from the get-go to allow sintered rotor upgrades in the BL stock motors. Stock brushed motors are not allowed any/every kind of magnet, why BL?

Hey ROAR reps, maybe a solution to figuring out what number of turns in BL is to cap the price. Right now Novak is the only company with motors that fit that bill (the XBR motors), otherwise literally every BL motor on the market comes with the best components that the makers think we'll pay for. How about going 13.5T BL with NO sintered rotors and a $49 retail cap? That would slow the motors down and keep them from leaping to faster and faster speeds. The motors could be "rebuilt" with a fresh bonded rotor from time to time and the motors should be very even in speed to 27.5 brushed (until brushed motors go extinct).

In mind and body, we're all heading towards old age. It is slower to go by bike.
Davidka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2008, 09:56 AM   #112
Suspended

I'm not changing my setup til next year.
Then I'll get the 7.5 light series motor....etc...
Off-road only!
Old 01-13-2008, 11:19 AM   #113
Tech Adept

Default From the horses mouth

Thanks for the email and the interest in our products!

ROAR is working on setting up guidelines for next year for which motors should be used in "equivalent" classes of racing... So far it looks like the 27 turn stock motor will be the 17.5 turn motor ... They are discussing what the 19T equivalent will be... the unofficial standard everywhere seems to be 10.5 but I have heard rumors that ROAR wants to use 13.5 for the 19T class.

As far as them being run together I think the 13.5 in stock can be a little too fast for the conventional brushed motors. In most of the 19T/10.5 racing I have seen the motors tend to run about the same speed.

If you have enough racers it might be ok to split the classes to avoid any controversy ...

Steve Weiss

Novak Electronics

17032 Armstrong Ave.

Irvine, Ca 92614

Phone: 949.833.8873

Fax: 949.833.1631

www.teamnovak.com

Customer Service Section

www.teamnovak.com/cs/index.html
Old 01-13-2008, 11:37 AM   #114
Suspended

I actally love stock and 19T brushed myself.
No problem there, Modified is where brushless comes in handy anyhow.
Off-road only!
Old 01-13-2008, 11:40 AM   #115
Company Representative
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elfwizard View Post
ROAR is working on setting up guidelines for next year for which motors should be used in "equivalent" classes of racing... So far it looks like the 27 turn stock motor will be the 17.5 turn motor ... They are discussing what the 19T equivalent will be... the unofficial standard everywhere seems to be 10.5 but I have heard rumors that ROAR wants to use 13.5 for the 19T class.

As far as them being run together I think the 13.5 in stock can be a little too fast for the conventional brushed motors. In most of the 19T/10.5 racing I have seen the motors tend to run about the same speed.

If you have enough racers it might be ok to split the classes to avoid any controversy ...
Elfwizard, perhaps you could help us out here?

What is the point you are trying to make by reproducing Steve's email? I notice that you did not feel the word "rumors" was worth highlighting with the red font.

What kind of cheating are you seeing from those racers using brushless motors?
NovakTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2008, 11:55 AM   #116
Tech Adept

Default Just trying to even the field

Just trying to even the field is all. Brushless has a distinct advantage torque wise. In Offroad its a huge advantage coming out of a corner to a long double. So basically you spend $600+ dollars to compete, if you run two classes.

the 13.5 is closer to a 19 turn than a 27 turn.

And I am against spending $600+!!!!

Point made.
Old 01-13-2008, 12:02 PM   #117
Company Representative
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elfwizard View Post
Just trying to even the field is all. Brushless has a distinct advantage torque wise. In Offroad its a huge advantage coming out of a corner to a long double. So basically you spend $600+ dollars to compete, if you run two classes.

the 13.5 is closer to a 19 turn than a 27 turn.

And I am against spending $600+!!!!

Point made.
I can understand not wanting to spend $600, but that doesn't really explain your accusation of BL cheating or re-posting of Steve's email.
NovakTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2008, 12:13 PM   #118
Tech Adept

Default Found the email

Found the email on Google, Whats wrong with posting it?

So is taking an unfair advantage cheating? Is changing the rotor to the sintered rotor cheating? Most who run brushless are going to defend it of course. They want to keep there advantage. You can miss lines and still clear tough jumps.
Old 01-13-2008, 12:49 PM   #119
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Guys, we can argue all day long as to if this is "cheating" or not or good or bad or whatever it is. If there are no rules to something, is it called cheating. Club racing is one thing, have fun, run what you brung, make it close, and again HAVE FUN. Large sanctioned events is a whole other matter.

The simple fact is this, they are two different technologies. One has lots and lots of rules, one has NO RULES. The two should not be competing together until more of a consensus can be reached. Everyone has a different opinion and no rulebook here. So, seperate them, have rules for both that make them fair against one another, or have no rules which I believe pretty much makes it modified which is what brushless motors are today and should not be allowed in SPEC class racing. How can a motor be considered SPEC if there are NO SPECS!!!
TLR 22 3.0, TLR 22T 2.0, TLR 22SCT 2.0, TLR TEN-SCTE 2.0, TLR 8ight-E 4.0, DX6R
hacker07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2008, 01:09 PM   #120
Tech Adept

Default Exactly

You got it right hacker, I guess its run what ya brung in the stock class, which means no rules. Until they come up with some rules for the brushless. Wish someone would make a 22 turn armature for my stock can.