R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 01-10-2008, 10:01 PM   #76
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by glassdoctor View Post
No that's not 4 classes.... it's 2 classes. One spec class (stock) and one open class (mod).

Splitting up into a "amatuer" and "pro" would only be done at big races where there are plenty of entries to go around. That's not four "classes" in the sense of this discussion. If you think it is... then how about novice and masters? Those are both "stock class" divisions... not another set of rules, motors, etc.

Why try so hard to argue?
I'm not the one "trying hard to argue"

KYOSHO AMERICA.com -Peakmotors.com - kyoshoforum.com - Team SlantEyEs - Hardkore Paint - JBRL Off Road Series - JConcepts.net
nc-hopsing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 10:34 PM   #77
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default Slow is faster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craps View Post
You guys want electric off road racing to grow again!

Forget the motor and battery rules with so many classes! Makes it way to complicated for something so insignificate to going fast on off road! You can still use the rules on the truck/buggy on wheels, size and weight.

Narrow it down to 2wd Truck, 2wd Buggy and 4wd Buggy and if you want to divide it further, do it by driver ability with the Pro, Sportsman and Novice designations!

Sorry, but everybody can't be in an "A" main!
I run some good equipment and i lose to people running junk all the time, because going fast doesn't help when your suppose to be slowing down for the turn. I race because i enjoy it and i understand that know matter how good my set-up is i won't make the "A" main because there are better drivers than me.
bgbelden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 11:10 PM   #78
Tech Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by glassdoctor View Post
Dead serious... maybe on road is completely different, but in off road I see no reason to have three classes.

Going from stock to mod.... you don't have to run a wicked fast motor in mod class. If a guy isn't good enough to handle a mild modified then he should still be running stock.

19t is for sandbaggers who would rather win than compete with the fast guys.

At big races, split the mod class by skill levels, and even the stock if there's a lot of fast guys wanting to run stock. WE DON"T NEED A SPEC MOD CLASS TO WATER IT DOWN EVEN MORE....

Son ...
You are very, very wise ....
Wild Cherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 12:32 AM   #79
Tech Fanatic

For those of you that say stock is worthless and should be dumped, you should come up to our local track. Our stock class is more like "pro" stock and they get high laps. It's very very competitive here. Not even close to being slow and is usually one of the best races to watch.

I used to run stock years ago but have not been racing very often in a long time, and almost never have time to practice, as much as I wish I could. So I now run the Sportsman class here (although it can be a hackfest). That is between Novice and Stock. But my problem is that I just switched to B/L and Lipo. However, my husband and I are now sharing our NM batteries (4200s and tired 3800s) because he runs vintage and our track doesn't allow Lipo in Sportsman - and of course, not vintage. So we are struggling with keeping our batteries running, while my perfectly good 4800 Orion hardcase lipo doesn't get used much.

I am not even close to wanting to move up to "pro" stock when they are 2-3 laps faster than I am, but I am 2-3 laps faster than novice. So I am stuck in the middle. I do hope to find a way to get more practice and eventually move up to stock, and then the batteries won't be an issue, but I am now to the point where I will probably quit racing because my local track does not allow Lipo in Sportsman and I refuse to buy anymore NM batteries. The last set I bought were supposedly very good matched IB batteries and they were crap and VERY EXPENSIVE. 3 of them were way more expensive than one good quality, hard-cased Lipo. I ended up with dead cells after a few runs. Even using dischargers and smart trays.

So I think that the track owners are going to eventually lose some racers like me due their Lipo rules. I refuse to buy anymore inferior NM batteries.
Old 01-11-2008, 02:41 AM   #80
Suspended

Quote:
Dawn
Please keep us off-road racers in mind by keeping the 13.5 BL motor stock class legal that most off-road tracks in the country have already adopted 13.5 BL motors as the Stock Class equivalent and you can also please consider the soft sided li-pos are OK for the off-road too. We have been racing with them for over 4 years now in the Carolinas with no problems.

There is alot of off-road racers at local tracks all over the country that already have 13.5s for Stock and alot that already have soft sided li-pos too!!! Just trying to keep on what is already main stream out there and save racers money!

Thank you for your service to our great hobby!
LOL!! You just like lipo period, but when I ever get tired of NiMh,
you'll be the first person I'll ask about B44 Lipos.
Associated B44/Tamiya 501x WE
Off-road only!
bmaglinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 04:51 AM   #81
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmaglinger View Post
LOL!! You just like lipo period, but when I ever get tired of NiMh,
you'll be the first person I'll ask about B44 Lipos.
Actually I have had no choice but to use ni-mh batteries in my B44 until my MaxAmp li-po saddle packs get back from warranty issues I had with them. They are replacing them with the new 6000 mah saddle packs that just came out and fit right in the B44 with no mods I have been told.

Can't wait to get back to li-po!
Craps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 06:47 AM   #82
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Quote:
Dawn
Please keep us off-road racers in mind by keeping the 13.5 BL motor stock class legal that most off-road tracks in the country have already adopted 13.5 BL motors as the Stock Class equivalent and you can also please consider the soft sided li-pos are OK for the off-road too. We have been racing with them for over 4 years now in the Carolinas with no problems.

There is alot of off-road racers at local tracks all over the country that already have 13.5s for Stock and alot that already have soft sided li-pos too!!! Just trying to keep on what is already main stream out there and save racers money!

Thank you for your service to our great hobby!
I 100% agree with Tim on the above.
gndprx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 06:51 AM   #83
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Quote:
Actually I have had no choice but to use ni-mh batteries in my B44 until my MaxAmp li-po saddle packs get back from warranty issues I had with them. They are replacing them with the new 6000 mah saddle packs that just came out and fit right in the B44 with no mods I have been told.

Hey Tim, I know Alan took an 8k MaxAmps and cut the outer shrink to make a B44 saddle pack like everyone was talking about. He re-shrunk it again but I don't think he's run it yet.

Is there anything special since these are a 2S2P pack that will allow you to balance all 4 cells to avoid puffing?
gndprx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 08:43 AM   #84
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 240 (100%+)

Quote:

So Craps, how are you liking the B44 on the tracks you run on?
Old 01-11-2008, 09:13 AM   #85
Regional Moderator

Stock motor idea,

Instead of changing or limiting the current 13.5 brushless stock. How about opening the rules on the brushed motors to being able to use bearings and neo magnets like the brushless can's. Also allow some slack in the wire size and rotor size for a short term development stage so that the brushed motors can compete head to head with the brushless.

The current rules for brushed motors has limited them to developing motors that are capable of running as long and fast as brushless.

The brushless motors had free and open rules therefor didn't have the restrictions placed on brushed motors other than the Can has to be the same size on the outside.

Open the rules and you might see some development on the brushed motor side that will put a end to the brushless/brushed motor debate.
Old 01-11-2008, 09:46 AM   #86
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exterminator View Post
Stock motor idea,

Instead of changing or limiting the current 13.5 brushless stock. How about opening the rules on the brushed motors to being able to use bearings and neo magnets like the brushless can's. Also allow some slack in the wire size and rotor size for a short term development stage so that the brushed motors can compete head to head with the brushless.

The current rules for brushed motors has limited them to developing motors that are capable of running as long and fast as brushless.

The brushless motors had free and open rules therefor didn't have the restrictions placed on brushed motors other than the Can has to be the same size on the outside.

Open the rules and you might see some development on the brushed motor side that will put a end to the brushless/brushed motor debate.
this is one of the better sugestions so far. i raced bearings in a stock brushed and no one noticed and i still didnt do too well. i guess motors arent everything.
Mr_X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 09:50 AM   #87
Suspended

I think I need to dust off the goldpan rc-10 and run it up at albion in
'Stock buggy' I may do that lol....be racing against current B4's though..
Run 2 classes, nothing wrong with that eh? Be kinda fun.
Associated B44/Tamiya 501x WE
Off-road only!
bmaglinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 10:23 AM   #88
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 95 (99%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmaglinger View Post
I think I need to dust off the goldpan rc-10 and run it up at albion in
'Stock buggy' I may do that lol....be racing against current B4's though..
Run 2 classes, nothing wrong with that eh? Be kinda fun.
What the hell does this have to do with the ROAR Brushless Debate???

In case you haven't figured it out posts like this are why everybody gets pissed off at you.
RobbieS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 10:30 AM   #89
Suspended

Thumbs up BEARINGS IN STOCK MOTORS RULE!

BEARINGS IN STOCK MOTORS RULES!
losidriver70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 10:36 AM   #90
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 26 (96%+)

Quote:

You should give an a123 saddle pack a try in the b44. Since they are more durable they are much better suited for 4wd saddle packs. A 2s 2p saddle pack fits nicely in the car too.
party_wagon is offline   Reply With Quote