R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 01-08-2008, 02:12 PM   #16
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orange View Post
Use a Lipo with that brushed.
i would but i dont have the money to get lipos not all of us can afford them.
kstarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 03:04 PM   #17
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 54 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to AndyMoore

Quote:
Originally Posted by kstarr View Post
i would but i dont have the money to get lipos not all of us can afford them.
The Orion 3200 is $89.99 on tower, which is a little less than the price of 2 "team" level packs. The LiPo technology will allow it to take the place of 3 packs, so you only need 1 for each car. If you go to buy batteries, LiPo is actually cheaper than NiMH.
Old 01-08-2008, 03:10 PM   #18
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orange View Post
Being the owner of a track and holding races, I feel as though the 13.5 has already been established as the "Stock Brushless" and feel as though it should be the wind used for offroad "Stock" Applications. My track and other tracks around the country already allow the use of this motor as the "Stock" brushless motor and it has already been established that way.

I don't agree that another class should be formed as that only waters down the existing stock class as it is. We need the class to be full and strong, not small, multiple and unclear. Races around the country already have way to many classes to choose from, adding more only washes down the already small numbers. There is no difference in making another class to wash out another then there is to add them together and wash the other out. One will over power the other eventually, might as well do it in 1 class, not 2 and not risk the fate of a class based off of mediocre numbers that produce mediocre results. Regardless of the matter, if you put a limit on the class, what do you do with the people when one is over powered? You mix them in as that is the only solution. Why pro-long the inevitable? Work smart first and you won't work hard later.

Mixing them in one class will be the most effective way. Electric needs saved now, not down the road.

I do however want to make a call out to the OEM's that are still trying to survive on brushed motors... You all should be lobbying with ROAR to get the already outdated brushed motor specs changed to suit your needs to be competitive against brushless? I think that you can still make a difference and I think changes can be made that will do just that. Instead of sitting on the sidelines worrying about brushless taking over, do something that makes brushed better? Just a thought? You have a President now that will listen!!
I agree 100%
SpeedyDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 03:12 PM   #19
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by nc-hopsing View Post
No one said that your 13.5's will be useless. The class is set to be able to run UP TO a certain type/size of motor. I've seen people run a 27T in a 19T class because the track was small enough and slick enough that it was the better for them. IF they make 17.5 stock (which I dont think is going to happen in OFF ROAD) then you either step up and by a 17.5 OR you can run your 13.5 in the UP TO 10.5 intermediate class (and probably be very competitive if the track is on the smaller side)
And get my ass handed to me every week. I don't think so. How will that help grow the hobby? Coming in last every week only promotes switching back to XBox.
Old 01-08-2008, 03:19 PM   #20
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyDad View Post
And get my ass handed to me every week. I don't think so. How will that help grow the hobby? Coming in last every week only promotes switching back to XBox.
Actually it promotes more practice, It just depends on how you want to look at it.
Old 01-08-2008, 03:26 PM   #21
Tech Fanatic

I've seen plenty of 19t motors beat a 12 or 13t motor. The point was it depends on the track

Deuce Drop Racing | Team Carbon | Chad Due Circle of Trust |
S & N Trackside | www.rcscoringpro.com | www.liverc.com |
Bodies by Buck or Sarah
McDonough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 03:29 PM   #22
Company Representative

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

used to race brushed and nimhs only, never was going to switch until I figured out the lipo can stay in the car all day and I didn't have to cut the comm in mod. now I have time during the raceday to concentrate on set up not keeping the car running. that being said the time is now to put the hammer down and make a solid rule. trying to accomodate everyone is not going to work. its time now to move forward into technology that will help the hobby grow.13.5's are a perfect stock class 10.5's are fun in off road for sportsman too, mod....its mod run what you can handle. ill quit now that I sounded like I should be standing on a podium (LOL!!!)
ballisticsart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 03:29 PM   #23
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

Practice will own any motor battery or hop-up. Some guys at the track always mess with set-ups but really all they need is more practice
Old 01-08-2008, 03:32 PM   #24
Company Representative

a 13.5 with a 3200 lipo will run 15 min. thats a lot of practice!!!! and no rebuilds, which is cost effective.
Old 01-08-2008, 03:33 PM   #25
Tech Elite

Though I am not anyone of any paticular importance when roar is making any decisions I will through out my .02 any way.

Coming strictly from an off road back ground.

27t stock class has been a good class to run with the 13.5 brushless. If you feel the need to run a slower motor thats your choice.

19t class running with 10.5's seem to be an excellent match. At least where I run, which is basically an inbetween of a 8th and a 10th scale track, this is very competitive. Though I own a 10.5, 7.5 and 6.5 brushless, I have found my brushed 19t with a lipo battery to be the best and fastest combo for me.

Anything lower than 19t should be mod and run what you brung.

That seems simple and fair enough.

ANY sport or hobby costs money, period. If the cost of a battery or an additional $65 for a brushless motor or $40 for a brushed, is going to keep you from competing, you either dont want to compete enough, or your making excuses. (not directed at anyone, just a blanket statement)

If anyone feels that there being beat un fairly, either save up and buy something that will make you a little faster, or go an practice more and become a better driver.

I am the perfect example of this. I have a very expensive set up, expescive esc and motor, an expensive battery and charger, an expensive radio and steering servo.

As a driver I suck and I get beat by people that are half my age with what I feel is substandard equiptment. Cheap esc, cheap radio, steering servo, and cheap batteries, not to mention slower motors. The difference is that they practice and are better drivers.

Just my .02
Old 01-08-2008, 04:10 PM   #26
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by McDonough View Post
I've seen plenty of 19t motors beat a 12 or 13t motor. The point was it depends on the track
Exactly

KYOSHO AMERICA.com -Peakmotors.com - kyoshoforum.com - Team SlantEyEs - Hardkore Paint - JBRL Off Road Series - JConcepts.net
nc-hopsing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 04:50 PM   #27
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by McDonough View Post
I think it depends more on the driver. Only a major wheel is gonna kick ass with a substantially slower motor. Regardless of the track.

looking for....vintage 1/10-1/12 pan, need Schumacher 1/12th cars and parts.
Bob-Stormer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 06:36 PM   #28
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by OG RC 10T View Post
ANY sport or hobby costs money, period. If the cost of a battery or an additional $65 for a brushless motor or $40 for a brushed, is going to keep you from competing, you either dont want to compete enough, or your making excuses.
I agree with all you said except this. I run for fun. For me, it is fun to come in first or last as long as there is equal competition. If I race against faster motors, it is no fun because they I am no longer competing, I am just running. They will all be faster than me. Right now, I don't run at all because there has not been a stock class and I just get in the way running my 13.5 in 19T class and that is not fun for me or the other drivers. Also, practicing more is not a real option for me because of my schedule. When I do get out to the track it is usually race night and you just can't get in that much practice. Many others are just like me in that regards.
Old 01-08-2008, 07:09 PM   #29
Company Representative

You may want to play with gearing cuz here they run 13.5 with 19t and they are not faster. they run the same speed on the straights. My 13.5 kept up just fine against a losi team driver and his 19t. just a thought.
Old 01-08-2008, 07:39 PM   #30
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyDad View Post
I agree with all you said except this. I run for fun. For me, it is fun to come in first or last as long as there is equal competition. If I race against faster motors, it is no fun because they I am no longer competing, I am just running. They will all be faster than me. Right now, I don't run at all because there has not been a stock class and I just get in the way running my 13.5 in 19T class and that is not fun for me or the other drivers. Also, practicing more is not a real option for me because of my schedule. When I do get out to the track it is usually race night and you just can't get in that much practice. Many others are just like me in that regards.

Im not a serious racer either, and I have a great time when I go, so I do understand where your coming from. I have a better time seeing all of my buddies and putting down laps than worring what place I finished in.

On the other hand instead of not running your truck at all, or being the slowest driver on the track, why dont you just buy or borrow a slightly faster motor? If you did that you would be just as fast as the other cars or trucks out there and the only thing slowing your car down would by you.

Thats the excuse thing that I was meaning.

If your the slowest driver, and one of the only guys running 13.5, the problem isnt the class that they are offering. Change and keep up with what is happening at your local track, rather than just get annoyed and throw in the towel.

Though 19t or 10.5 is faster than stock, it is a lot of fun. And if your having a good time coming in first or last, what does it matter any way. Get the slightly faster motor and have your self a good time.

( please dont be offended, I just talking out loud and not being an a$$ or anything )