Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
NOVAK LIGHT MOTORS >

NOVAK LIGHT MOTORS

NOVAK LIGHT MOTORS

Old 01-04-2008, 06:15 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 220 (100%+)
Default NOVAK LIGHT MOTORS

should or do these need to be geared differently. say you run a 21 on 7.5R do you still run a 21 on a 7.5L
Old 01-04-2008, 06:34 PM
Tech Apprentice

Default gearing

hey mate, im not too sure about the gearing. i know its possible to run the same for both however, u may not get optimum performance.
Old 01-04-2008, 07:39 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Run the same gear, the light motors have the same rpm and power on the top end just not all the torque out of the hole...
Old 01-04-2008, 07:57 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

My educated guess...

As stated by Novak, the purpose of the Light motor is to provide a different feel by providing slower acceleration, softer drag brakes, but similar top speeds and will be very useful if you run in dusty/slick conditions.

I checked out the BL motor chart at the Novak website. The Light motors have a lower Kv rating than their equivalent wind Velociti versions. This means top RPM will be lesser on the Light motors than the regular Velociti motors.

If I were to get a Light motor (curious to try but I can't afford one yet). I'd probably get the 6.5L for my B4 (currently 7.5R 81/21) so that Kv ratings will be closer and probably gear it about the same or a tooth less depending on the feel of the vehicle on the track and motor temps.

If I do get a Light motor later on, I'd also wonder how a Light motor will feel with a 13mm sintered rotor.

I'm not too keen on the 13mm sintered rotor on the regular Velociti motors. The regular sintered rotor already have gobs of torque for off-road. Maybe in the long run as the rotor magnet weakens, the 13mm sintered rotor will feel similar to a new regular sintered rotor.

Just my thoughts on this matter...
Old 01-04-2008, 08:16 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

From novak's website...

"The smaller gauge allows for the same top speed, but with slower acceleration and softer braking power."
Old 01-05-2008, 04:21 AM
Tech Elite

From this i'd conclude you can gear a 7.5L so it keeps up on top speed with a 7.5R.