Wiki Posts
Search

2wd Buggy Battle

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2007, 04:21 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default 2wd Buggy Battle

I realize this subject has been beaten to death time and time again. However, I am about to buy a new buggy and have been belly aching over what to get.

My first instinct was to go with Losi since I am already running the XXXT CR and really like it. But the Kyosho has caught my eye, and I am giving it serious consideration. My major worry about that is where to get spare parts. I use Losi/AE Part house now for my Losi and am very happy with the turn around time on the shipping and overall service they provide. Is there a similar site for Kyosho? Obviously the 3rd choice is the B4. I know it's a proven platform and has an abundance of setups (to me that is not really important I like to tinker and figure it out for myself) and spare parts can be found at almost any LHS.

So can you guys give me what you feel the pros and cons are of each car without turning this thread into an all out flaming war?

Last edited by Mike Marshall; 12-29-2007 at 09:56 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old 12-28-2007, 04:30 PM
wyd
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 51 (100%+)

For the most part Associated and Losi parts are almost always the easist parts to get.
Old 12-28-2007, 04:35 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

A-Main Hobbies usually has a great selection of Kyosho Parts..... thats where I usually get my parts from..... other solutions...... ultimatehobbies.com or Directly from Kyosho America
Old 12-28-2007, 04:50 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

I feel your pain brother. I am going throught the same delima as we speek. I am a long time associated fan as you can tell by my forum name, but I have been debating the new RB5 vs the B4.

I have many, many cross over parts from all of my previous and current Associated buggys and trucks that will work flawlessly with the B4 and I can practically build it in my sleep. It also costs much less to buy new as well. A main hobbies has them for $160.00 (ish) Team kit.

On the other hand the RB5 looks like an outstanding buggy, has great reviews and is from a very reputable company. I would like something different but I am not sure if it is worth $50 different.

Sorry I was not able to offer any help but I am sure interested in this post, it may help me as well. Thanks for asking a great question.
Old 12-28-2007, 05:18 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 53 (100%+)

To make your RB5 competitive your going to spend more than $50, with rear arms, hubs, axles, shock shafts that is working on the car, it will be more like $100 more.

Take a look at the Academy GV2

http://www.modelrectifier.com/search...ew.asp?ID=8103

It has more features than any other car on the market out of the box

aluminum arm mounts F&R, uses B4 front wheels (RB5 doesnt), Losi/AE rears, All graphite plastic, beefy 5x10 bearings, bitchin shocks w/bladders, multi-length arms (like Losi), 3 different front kickups in the kit, captured hinge pins, and its cheaper than the others by a bunch..... under $200 at any online shop.

We'll have 4-5 more here in a week or so after I let a bunch of guys run mine last week. There's a few Kyoshos here but the parts supply from Kyosho is scarce.

There's a few here and they are on pace with any other car.
Old 12-28-2007, 06:30 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Just as an aside--- I know alot of guys get the B4 FT kit and then get the plastic (composite) chassis instead of the included graphite one--more flex, easier driving. Well I just got a B4 FT last month and apparently all the new B4 and T4 FT kits now come with the plastic (composite) chassis--don't know if this is already common knowledge., so its one less thing to buy if considering the B4. I guess they are going the Losi way--since Losi now uses the more flexible (compared to graphite) EA3 composite.

This only applies to the new "black" box T4 and B4 FT. NOt the older ones from last year and years prior.
Old 12-28-2007, 07:00 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Originally Posted by d16dcoe45
Just as an aside--- I know alot of guys get the B4 FT kit and then get the plastic (composite) chassis instead of the included graphite one--more flex, easier driving. Well I just got a B4 FT last month and apparently all the new B4 and T4 FT kits now come with the plastic (composite) chassis--don't know if this is already common knowledge., so its one less thing to buy if considering the B4. I guess they are going the Losi way--since Losi now uses the more flexible (compared to graphite) EA3 composite.

This only applies to the new "black" box T4 and B4 FT. NOt the older ones from last year and years prior.
I think this could be true. I have the new kit (black box) and I bought a plastic chassis for it, but when I compared the chassis' (after swapping out) they looked exactly the same, colour and all.
Old 12-28-2007, 07:42 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Tony Newland
To make your RB5 competitive your going to spend more than $50, with rear arms, hubs, axles, shock shafts that is working on the car, it will be more like $100 more.
You are kidding right

My car is pretty much stock save the Orange/Yellow springs and it VERY competitive! I would add Ti turnbuckles (although the stock steel ones seem to be holding up pretty well) and Carbide balls for the diff (again the stockers do work).

As far as arms go the jury is out....some people like it with the mid arm others don't. I may try it soon...we'll see. I can see the point about the axles IF and only IF you have a large investment in Losi/Associated rear wheels othewise the hex drive is a better solution IMO.

Other than that all these cars are winning choices. Pick one and race it!!!!!

Oh, and I LOVE my RB5!!!!!! You could probably tell that already though

Chris
Old 12-28-2007, 07:47 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I would go ahead and stick with the Team Losi XXX CR. You already have the truck and it will save you alot of inventory since the transmission parts are interchangeable as are many of the front end end pieces and other assorted items in the kit. To me this would make economical sense. There are alot of good setups out there for the XXX CR. I would be more than happy to share a good starting setup...
Old 12-28-2007, 07:50 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

The RB5 doesn't do anything that I don't like. Turns like a B4, jumps like a XXX. With that being said, I couldn't, in good faith, recommend one to anyone I liked. The availability of parts is simply laughable.
Old 12-28-2007, 10:16 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 53 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ccm399
You are kidding right

My car is pretty much stock save the Orange/Yellow springs and it VERY competitive! I would add Ti turnbuckles (although the stock steel ones seem to be holding up pretty well) and Carbide balls for the diff (again the stockers do work).

As far as arms go the jury is out....some people like it with the mid arm others don't. I may try it soon...we'll see. I can see the point about the axles IF and only IF you have a large investment in Losi/Associated rear wheels othewise the hex drive is a better solution IMO.

Other than that all these cars are winning choices. Pick one and race it!!!!!

Oh, and I LOVE my RB5!!!!!! You could probably tell that already though

Chris
I ran one for about 3 months (in mod) with the the stock rearend it is about 10mm narrower than whats legal, it makes for great forward bite but is extremely unpredictable sidebite. Its an ok stock car but for mod the rear arm conversion to settle it down was absolutely necessary. The difference was an amazing turn-around in handling and predictability. The #1 thing anyone needs out of a car to win is confidence, I had a marginal amount of confidence night to night about the consistency of the car. If you havent tried the rear middle conversion yet, I would recommend it. I actually ended up running the long ZX-5 rear arms, ZX-5 hubs, conversion dogbones, RB5 axles shimmed to legal limit, long rear shock shafts. Be careful shimming the rear axle so you get maximum width without pulling the dogbones out of the outdrives and chipping them beyond runable shape.

In the end I wondered what kind of car I ended up with.......expensive and time consuming to setup.

Doodad knows about the parts issue, I was ordering stuff from all over the country from whoever had it in stock.

My GV2 handles better, is more consistent and parts are a piece of cake, bottom line I have confidence every night I race because it will finish and drive the same every pack. RB5s are dropping like fly's here. GV2s are popping up more and more every club night.
Old 12-28-2007, 11:32 PM
Tech Initiate

Personally i have only owned Associated, but i have driven Losi and Kyosho.
you said you like to tinker around with your setups and figure it out, i have found my B4 to be fairly simple to set up, but it can be bad depending on which track i race at. The Losi seems decent but fragile, several guys broke theirs tonight. I haven't driven a Kyosho enough to give any good input.

Buy a B4, it's the best 2wd buggy
Old 12-28-2007, 11:42 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

aluminum arm mounts F&R, uses B4 front wheels (RB5 doesnt), Losi/AE rears, All graphite plastic, beefy 5x10 bearings, bitchin shocks w/bladders, multi-length arms (like Losi), 3 different front kickups in the kit, captured hinge pins, and its cheaper than the others by a bunch..... under $200 at any online shop.

We'll have 4-5 more here in a week or so after I let a bunch of guys run mine last week. There's a few Kyoshos here but the parts supply from Kyosho is scarce.

Stop lieing, you really dont know what your talking about Academy gv2 sales man. All you need is b4 turnbuckles for 20.00 bucks and this is the most durable buggy out and has proven itself more then the gv2 which is the newest buggy available.
Old 12-29-2007, 12:02 AM
Tech Elite

i think thats funny sorry
Old 12-29-2007, 12:05 AM
Tech Elite

RB5s are dropping like fly's here. GV2s are popping up more and more every club night.

thats because there cheap and i do mean cheap.
but run what you want.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.