R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 12-30-2007, 03:51 PM   #1
Tech Adept

Default Need some good input.

Looking for a little input from some of you guys. We are looking to start up a sportsman offroad class. Here are the basics. Run any electric car no matter what new, old, whatever, stock motor, and a 1500 stick pack. This will help keep the cost way down compared to the unlimited classes. I am curious as to if anyone has a good idea on a cheap stock motor. I would actually prefer if we could do a handout motor that way everyone has the same motor. Some of you might hate the idea of this kind of a class but this is all in a effort to get people into this sport for reasonable cost. And it be a class that everyone can be competative.
Andy Haynes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 04:48 PM   #2
Tech Regular

If you want to start a class for new racers and use a hand out motor. You might want to see if you can get 2 or 3 experienced racers to assist each race day and use hand out motors(say Trinity P2K2 or a stock that is not so gearing tempermental). Each race day when the racer shows up, you hand them a motor and have one of the experienced guys help them install it and gear it in their vehicles, then at the end of the night have the racer return the motor or give them a choice of purchasing one for a reduced price. Once all collected back you can take a little time and go through each motor and replace brushes if needed and com cut if needed to help the motors last longer. It might cost a little to initially start the class with the cost of the stock motors but once you have the motors you will only need to pay for upkeep or replacement once wore out. This little effort will help get new people into it for when the experienced racer installs the motor or helps show the new guy how to install it, they can also help with any questions with set-up or driving techniques with the new racer.

15 years ago this was done with a series where they used the same motors throughout the whole series but the same driver did not use the same motor every week, they randomly reached into a box and pulled a motor and tuned it if they didn't feel it was tuned enough and ran it and then returned it to the box at athe end of the night then the next week they pulled a motor(rarely the same one) for that day. Worked great cause not one person had the best motor every week due to blind draw of motors out of a box.
T. Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 04:51 PM   #3
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

In our area the sportsman classes are usually really relaxed for rules. The only rule is it is to be a stock motor or 13.5 brushless. The race directors set a breakout lap time and race time. Soon as a driver improves they move out of sportsman. I wouldnt try to make it a spec class just let them run and have fun with what they have. Some will have better equipment than others but its always going to be that way. They need to concentrate on driving not equipment.
schmelme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 05:05 PM   #4
Tech Adept

We will have a rookie class for anyone who would want to run that. We are looking at a sportsman to keep it cheaper. I was just curious as to if anyone had some input on a good stock motor that was cheaper. If we have to we may just do closed can non rebuild motors. We are wanting a semi spec class. As in we want a set motor and battery.
Old 12-30-2007, 09:10 PM   #5
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to trdsupra88
Default b

I dont have any great suggestions but I think that is a great idea to help woo people towards the hobby.
Old 12-31-2007, 03:06 PM   #6
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

WHEN I FIRST STARTED RACING WE HAD A SPEC TRUCK CLASS THAT WAS LIMITED TO ANY STOCK MOTOR, 15 TOOTH PINION, 1500 SERIES BATT,AND EITHER BOWTIES OR T2000 TIRES.
hyperguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 04:08 PM   #7
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 67 (100%+)
Default Spec Class

A few years ago we did this. Any chassis, speed control, but we used Mabuchi can motors, 1500 batts, and the same gearing. My son and I dynoed 20 of the motors and they were almost identical. Geared right they were about as fast as a stock. You could use Tamiya silver can motors they are the same and Tower sells them for about $15. If you want a little more zip why not use Traxxas Stinger 20 turn motors about $18? Neither of these can be rebuilt or have brushes changed. As stated before impound them hand out at random. When they really start to dog buy some new ones at the price you won't bet hurt.
nutz4rcyktw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 04:44 PM   #8
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to crazy4wdracer

This sounds like a great, affordable way to get new people into rc!
crazy4wdracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 09:37 AM   #9
Tech Adept

Thanks for the input guys. I think we might just do the closed can motors and take them up at the end of the day. This will keep it fair and keep the cost down. Hopefully it will bring a bigger draw. I know most people dont want to have a drop 1000 or 1200 dollars to be competative. This way people can buy a rtr set up and a cheap 1500 pack and go racing.
Old 01-04-2008, 11:13 AM   #10
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Haynes View Post
I know most people dont want to have a drop 1000 or 1200 dollars to be competative.

true, but most still do
convikt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 11:34 AM   #11
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by convikt View Post
true, but most still do

After all said and done i wouldnt be surprised if i have 3 grand in my pit bag.

Our sportsman class is run what you brung and if you go so fast you are moved up to a new class. Its really just a beginner class.
Old 01-04-2008, 11:46 AM   #12
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

we pay $6 for those silver can motors. We have a novice 1/12 scale class we run them in, and i run one in one of the kids trucks. They seem to last quite a while for low cost.
miket3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 06:16 AM   #13
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by miket3 View Post
we pay $6 for those silver can motors. We have a novice 1/12 scale class we run them in, and i run one in one of the kids trucks. They seem to last quite a while for low cost.

Do you have some info on where you get the motors from?