R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 12-31-2007, 11:47 AM   #46
Tech Adept

Best advice ever ........ drive as many as you can ... don't just drive one of each, try several as set-ups can be as much to do with how a car suits you as the car itself!!!!

I wish I'd done that when I came back to 1/10th from 1/8th as I made a very poor choice that made me wonder if I'd made a mistake coming back to 1/10th in the first place!!!!

Now I have Kyosho 2 and 4wd's and am super happy with both. Everybody who has driven my RB5 has ordered one though so can't be that bad.

Just given my 4wd to a guy to try and he made a call from the trackside!!

Now that is us ... you are you .... get what suits you, not what people tell you to!!!!!!!
RogerM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 12:04 PM   #47
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

AE shock suck to build, what a needless chore.
Old 12-31-2007, 12:37 PM   #48
Tech Initiate

Having played with all these cars in the recent past, and racing Losis for 8 or so years, here is my .02

RB5- Great car, rear shock tower is a weak point if your track has big jumps, works GREAT on really rough, bumpy tracks. Sold mine after myself and several local pros could not get the car to work well at our local indoor track: very tight, slippery clay where lightning fast transition is required.

Losi- A great car. Tons of tuning options, almost too many...very easy to dial yourself out if you are not highly experienced with setup. However, highly competitive if you are good at setup.

RC10B4- The standard to which all others are measured. Super easy to set up (copy a factory setup and play with weight placement and you are good to go) .The car is very fast on a smooth track, but through the bumps the Kyosho is a better car. I ran my fastest times with this car.

VISION

www.losi.com
www.teamorion.com
www.lrp-electronic.de
TSewell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 01:19 PM   #49
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

While AE shocks are a little more involved than most others, I think its only a little less convenient than say a Losi shock. For me, building Losi shocks perfect everytime was very simple and satisfying. To get AE shocks perfect requires a little more thought, but once built right they are hard to beat.

I have never built Kyosho shocks so can't comment on them, although the ones I have felt--felt super smooth when pumping by hand.

The little extra effort in building AE shocks would never sway my purchase away from Associated. It would be different if they were hard to build AND didn't perform very well--but that isn't the case. They perform great if you take your time to de-burr everything and always keep fresh o-rings in them (rears after every race day, fronts every other race day)
d16dcoe45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 01:43 PM   #50
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by d16dcoe45 View Post
While AE shocks are a little more involved than most others, I think its only a little less convenient than say a Losi shock. They perform great if you take your time to de-burr everything and always keep fresh o-rings in them (rears after every race day, fronts every other race day)
I have read this type of thing before but do you really have to change O-rings that often? WOW that's a lot of extra maintenance.

I have not changed the O-rings in my RB5 well, since I built it in August and the shocks don't leak and they are still butter smooth. The car has literally thousands of laps on it I have changed oil and pistons here and there to suit the track but never the o-rings. Maybe I should look into that.
ccm399 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 01:50 PM   #51
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccm399 View Post
I have read this type of thing before but do you really have to change O-rings that often? WOW that's a lot of extra maintenance.

I have not changed the O-rings in my RB5 well, since I built it in August and the shocks don't leak and they are still butter smooth. The car has literally thousands of laps on it I have changed oil and pistons here and there to suit the track but never the o-rings. Maybe I should look into that.
I don't change o-rings on my RB5 until the shocks start to leak...about every couple months. Can't even tell a difference after I do...Well except of course there isn't a puddle of oil in the spring retainer.
foolio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 01:51 PM   #52
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to David Alberico Send a message via Yahoo to David Alberico

My GV2 is awesome. It is the best value. Nice threaded shocks, car is strong, I have to say stronger than a B4, the most tunable, and jumps the best out of all the buggys.
David Alberico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 01:54 PM   #53
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by foolio View Post
I don't change o-rings on my RB5 until the shocks start to leak...about every couple months. Can't even tell a difference after I do...Well except of course there isn't a puddle of oil in the spring retainer.
Thanks,

I thouhgt I might be missing something. But as I said the shocks still do not leak and are way smooth!!!
ccm399 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 02:42 PM   #54
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

All are good. At a recent 2 day race I attended, all four of the buggies mentioned were in the main. Alberico had the fastest single lap with his gv2, 2 different b4's ended up winning all four rounds of qualifying and of course tqed, and an RB5 won. I don't think you can go wrong with any of the cars...but a b4 is the best! lol!
Old 12-31-2007, 07:19 PM   #55
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rripp View Post
I don't think you can go wrong with any of the cars...but a b4 is the best! lol!
racenut123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 08:22 PM   #56
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I don't change them because they leak (they don't) only because, for one: dirt gets under the o-rings and in between the plastic spacer---adding friction to the shock movement and possibly scratching the shaft and 2) the main reason is because silicone o-rings absorb silicone oil and they actually get a larger OD and a smaller ID which tends to add a good bit of friction to the movement.

Next time you change o-rings and rebuild shocks, compare the size of the old "swelled" o-ring and new fresh ones. You will see how much fatter the old ones are.

I know some guys clean their cars by disassembling them fully between race weekends, I just like to keep the important parts of the car in good working order. The shocks, smooth diff, make sure hinge pins are straight (its easy to miss a slightly bent pin--can really make a buggy twitchy) and shim suspension arms to minimize play. This way you minimize handling differences from round to round.
d16dcoe45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 05:54 PM   #57
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Newland View Post
I think Mr. Howart is the only one around here that may have raced one like I did in the 80's. Can you say the worlds at Del Mar in '84..... Associated prototype kicked the crap out of all us. And who was driving it? I will let you guys chime in on that one.

Jay Halsey of course....I'm no pup

Anyway, back to the matter at hand, its the car that make you feel the most confident and comfortable regardless who makes it and who's driving it. It might take a few tries, but if you keep at it, you will find the right car that suits your driving style.

My .02 cents.........
Thats the best information to give anyone +1[/QUOTE]

Im glad to see that I am not the only old guy around here that still plays with toy cars...... LOL.

I used to run for Rick back in the early 90's. And to add, I was 12 in 84' and I qualified 5th in the D-Main........ Ran out of Holiday Buggy Tires.......

Kyosho America - Peak Racing - KO Propo - AKA - DE Racing - Diggity Designs - Speedtech R/C - Team Slant EyEs
Slant EyEs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 06:17 PM   #58
Tech Master

Mike- If you're even still reading this thread my suggestion is to stick with Losi and buy the CR. Parts are interchangeable (to an extent) and you're already familiar with how they build. I honestly like all of the 2wd cars that people have mentioned in this thread; but personally I don't see an advantage with any of them. I hope you are happy with whatever you choose and have enjoyed the lunacy that is this thread.

Happy Racing,

Jeremy
Old 01-02-2008, 09:09 PM   #59
Tech Elite

This thread is pointless, really. It's all in personal preference. Not everyone picks one and stays with it anyways. Everyone's guilty of owning different manufacturers kits anyways. Just pick one and battle with it!
theDover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 09:19 PM   #60
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

if you get a kyosho you will be very happy with it the only thing is you have to know were to get parts or just do what i did order 2 kits
johnkemp is offline   Reply With Quote