R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 12-28-2007, 04:37 PM   #1
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 69 (100%+)
Default Building T4 shocks...frustrating.

Okay I know im a noob, Ive only built a few kits in my lifetime.....but trying to build these FT T4 shocks is making me feel like a donkey. I have taken my time, trimmed, used green slime, the works. BUT when i get to the part where you fill the shock, then the cap, and then magically slap them together, they keep getting cross threaded. I dont think I have ruined the caps yet but I am not sure. I have to wash everthing and see what the damage is. I have tried it over and over again...calm and collected like three separate times with only LUCKILY get one successful shock complete. WHen I finally got one other on all the way it gushed oil out like the o-ring was damaged. I took the rings off to check to see if I tore one and they look intact. Why did Associated not include aluminum caps to match up with the aluminum shock bodies it would have really made life easy. These cheap plastic caps absolutely suck. None of them are going on smoothly. Am I doing something wrong. I was looking on ebay and found blue aluminum shock caps for $10, should I just go that route. I am sooooooo frustrated.
Paul Whalen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 04:55 PM   #2
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 66 (92%+)
Send a message via AIM to Jake S Send a message via MSN to Jake S

first time threading them is always weird, i thread backwards for a turn (CCW), then go the right way (CW) then they seem to work better.
Old 12-28-2007, 05:19 PM   #3
Tech Master

Yep tried that several times, I am gentle with it too. I just dont understand why I am having such a hard time. I think Im going to order those aluminum associated blue caps off ebay just to make things easier.
Old 12-28-2007, 05:54 PM   #4
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

I have built and rebuilt associated shocks over the past 15 or so years. They are a pain in the arse untill you get the hang of it. After you get the hange of it, it is still sometimes a pain in the arse.

I would buy the aluminum caps and call it a night.

Best advice I can give besides back threading them like Jake mentioned, and take your time.
Old 12-28-2007, 05:58 PM   #5
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to kuzo

If you are going to buy new caps anyway, you might want to try the Yokomo bleeder caps. They are still plastic of course but I've had such good luck building and bleeding shocks since I got them. I'll try to dig up a part number if you want.
kuzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 06:15 PM   #6
Tech Master

Thankyou for the validation OG...its just crazy. They would be so simple if it were just metal on metal rather than this plastic crap. I dont understand why the aluminum caps are not included in a $225 kit. Souldnt be that difficult. Im taking break and going to try again. Im not giving up.
Old 12-28-2007, 06:46 PM   #7
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I 2nd both Jake S' and Kuzo's suggestions. Buy 2 packs of part number Yokomo Part Number YS-8Y and your caps become easier to bleed
NOT a member of Team Terribles!
d4man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 07:12 PM   #8
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 66 (100%+)

like above, get the yokomo caps and make life easier. much easier bleeding also
Old 12-29-2007, 12:22 AM   #9
Tech Master

OK I have figured it out my friends....First you must meditate for one hour on the upcomming task at hand, find your Jedi center and proceed into the shock building arena with love, patience, and determination. With a gentle touch your persistance will be rewarded with 4 beautifully built shock absorbers. Finally I have become one the RC Gods. lol...mission completed.
Old 12-29-2007, 12:26 AM   #10
Tech Initiate

When i do my Associated shocks (B4), i turn the caps backwards until i feel it click, or fall over the beginning of the threads then i tighten it. You have to do this fairly quickly, but don't get to happy and ruin your caps.. I ruined several.

Good luck
Nick Carroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 08:02 AM   #11
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Whalen View Post
OK I have figured it out my friends....First you must meditate for one hour on the upcomming task at hand, find your Jedi center and proceed into the shock building arena with love, patience, and determination. With a gentle touch your persistance will be rewarded with 4 beautifully built shock absorbers. Finally I have become one the RC Gods. lol...mission completed.
Welcome you are young shock builder.
Old 12-29-2007, 08:46 AM   #12
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

I also like the Yoke bleeder caps as they are easier to build consistently, however I have also found them easier to cross thread when putting them on relative to the stock caps. That's just my experience anyway.
RodneyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 12:13 PM   #13
Tech Master

Thumbs up

Nobody uses the aluminum blue caps that are made by associated, my problem was not the bleeding and bubbles it was the darn cross threading. I thought for sure that I had ruined a couple of the caps by cross threading but I guess not...but I have heard this is not uncommon to strip them out. Alluminum just seems like a better option and they are not that heavy.
Old 12-29-2007, 12:19 PM   #14
Tech Elite

Get a LOSI!

J/K, J/K.

I used yokomo bladder caps when i ran Associated, would have too search the numbers.
Old 12-29-2007, 12:29 PM   #15
Tech Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Whalen View Post
Okay I know im a noob, Ive only built a few kits in my lifetime.....but trying to build these FT T4 shocks is making me feel like a donkey. I have taken my time, trimmed, used green slime, the works. BUT when i get to the part where you fill the shock, then the cap, and then magically slap them together, they keep getting cross threaded. I dont think I have ruined the caps yet but I am not sure. I have to wash everthing and see what the damage is. I have tried it over and over again...calm and collected like three separate times with only LUCKILY get one successful shock complete. WHen I finally got one other on all the way it gushed oil out like the o-ring was damaged. I took the rings off to check to see if I tore one and they look intact. Why did Associated not include aluminum caps to match up with the aluminum shock bodies it would have really made life easy. These cheap plastic caps absolutely suck. None of them are going on smoothly. Am I doing something wrong. I was looking on ebay and found blue aluminum shock caps for $10, should I just go that route. I am sooooooo frustrated.

plastic caps are your best choice, follow the direction`s for your best results...

Hope this helps
Wild Cherry is offline   Reply With Quote