R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 12-21-2007, 10:33 AM   #1
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Default XXX-4 G+ too fragile for low turn brushless?

Hey guys,

I recently purchased a xxx-4 G+. The guy i got it off of said he used to run brushless stuff in it. Right now i have an Epic 12t dbl brushed motor. Every time i take it out i break stuff.

First time out i broke the bolt that holds the rear diff together, just shear'd it off. This was after about 2 min of run time.

Second time out i broke one of the front right out drive off after about 2-3 min of run time. It just broke one of the sides of it off where the CV shaft goes in. I replaced it with the molded ones with the aluminum rings.

THe first time i took the buggy out, the adjustment on the belt tension was towards the top of the adjustment. After just two times out i already have to have the belt at the end of the adjustment to keep it from slipping.

Im wanting to purchase a 5.5 or 6.5 brushless combo soon, and i just dont know if it can handle it.

I dont want to keep dumping money into this thing if its always going to have problems, i would rather sell it and buy a B44 or the Academy 4wd buggy. I have always loved Losi stuff, and this seems to be a nice buggy, it just breaks a lot.
Pro-Line Pro-2 (dirt oval modified)
Custom Works Intimidator G6
z28mccrory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007, 10:39 AM   #2
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 240 (100%+)

The impression I have gotten from those who have owned a xxx-4 and not liked it were mainly durability issues and rough track handling issues.

You may want to consider another buggy if you are finding those same problems. As you look to be someone who really likes Losi, maybe look into a XX-4 or even X-5 conversion? Seems the X-5 gives the best of both worlds, handling of a XX-4 and the acceleration of a XXX-4.

For your current vehicle, did you give it a good teardown and rebuild? It may be worth a shot so you get it together your way, and can find any worn or cracked parts and get them out of there.
Old 12-21-2007, 11:11 AM   #3
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

I ran a Novak 4.5 in mine (And it had been run by the previous owner with a 3.5). The ONLY issue we had is that the slipper can't hold that much power - more specifically the slipper nut. 3 good romps and my previously properly adjusted slipper was zinging itself free and the car wasn't moving. Loctite cured the issue (I just locked out the slipper making it effectively nonexistent).

After that I never had a single issue out of the driveline. It held the power fine. All my complaints are with handling (I never broke anything on it).
Drew Manzella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007, 11:20 AM   #4
Tech Fanatic

I'll also add that another local guy runs a hot brushless in his and the only issue he has had is the slipper loosening. His took 2 heats and half of a main to loosen though so there is some truth to the belief that broken-in slippers are less likely to loosen. I'd still lock it out and adjust the diffs to compensate.
Old 12-21-2007, 11:24 AM   #5
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cain View Post
The impression I have gotten from those who have owned a xxx-4 and not liked it were mainly durability issues and rough track handling issues.

You may want to consider another buggy if you are finding those same problems. As you look to be someone who really likes Losi, maybe look into a XX-4 or even X-5 conversion? Seems the X-5 gives the best of both worlds, handling of a XX-4 and the acceleration of a XXX-4.

For your current vehicle, did you give it a good teardown and rebuild? It may be worth a shot so you get it together your way, and can find any worn or cracked parts and get them out of there.
I purchased the XXX-4 over an XX-4 because i figured parts would be easier to find, since rumor is they are gona quit making the parts for the XX-4 because the tooling is worn out?

I have now had both the front and rear diff apart so i know those are good to go. Other than that everything seems to be in pretty good shape. The shocks dont need rebuilt yet, etc...

Have any of you guys ever had problems with belts stretching? Is it possible that the belt is getting old? It looks like its in really good shape, but maybe it wouldn't hurt to replace?

What is the X-5 conversion?
Old 12-21-2007, 11:29 AM   #6
Tech Fanatic

The XX-4 tooling isn't "worn out". The plants are re-tooled to make the current crop of parts. It costs Horizon too much money to re-tool to make the old parts again.

When they re-released the XX-4 they re-tooled, did a run and that was it - there is no current XX-4 parts production. What parts are available from that re-release run are it. There will never be XX-4 parts made by Horizon again.

The X-5 is a conversion based mostly on the XX-4. It is a pretty good car BUT I'd still be concerned about parts availability for the XX-4 specific parts it uses.

If you opt to go with something else I'd stick with a current gen car like the B44, Academy or Lazer. The BJ4 uses some XXX-4 parts. XXX-4 parts are still made BUT some have ceased production so the EoL for the XXX-4 is coming.
Old 12-21-2007, 11:29 AM   #7
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I've ran a 7T in a XXX-4 on a large outdoor track with no problems whatsoever. It was a couple of years ago before brushless took off, but alot more motor than a 12T.....
psbarger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007, 11:35 AM   #8
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 240 (100%+)

To get info on the X-5, visit www.4wdrc.com , its pretty much the site for the X-5. Give then a call or email and they can also give you the scoop on parts too.

Curious, wonder if losi is just going to go away completely from 4wd 1/10 scale?
Old 12-21-2007, 11:40 AM   #9
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Curious, wonder if losi is just going to go away completely from 4wd 1/10 scale?
I doubt it. The way they designed the 8ight sort of shows their new philosophy in regard to designing new cars. I am betting that they are waiting for all of the new gen cars (BJ4, B44, ZX-5, Academy, etc) to get off the ground and get some time under the belt.

What they did with the 8ight was basically purchase every 8th scale buggy on the market at the time, enter them in races "under the radar", drive them, make detailed notes about their pros and cons then took all that data, compared notes and designed the car to exemplify the positive while minimizing the negative.

I am betting they may already be out there racing the current cars doing the same thing.
Old 12-21-2007, 11:40 AM   #10
Tech Adept

Quote:
I wish i knew as well. I like sticking with one brand, and i would buy a new shaft driven losi 4wd in a heartbeat.

They came out with the new on road 4wd since the XXX-S, hopefully they will come out with an offroad 4wd.

I almost just broke down and purchased a B44 the other day, but ALL my packs that i just got are 6 cell in line, and i dont want to have to get saddle packs now.
Old 12-21-2007, 12:49 PM   #11
Tech Adept

I'm running a 5.5 for some months now and the only thing I broke were shock mounts...

TLR 22SCT 3.0 - TLR TEN-SCTE 3.0 - TLR 22 4.0
http://www.facebook.com/NicolasEvensRCDriver
Belgian SCT Cup : http://www.facebook.com/BelgianSCTCup
sylv456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007, 12:59 PM   #12
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to ChrisWolfson Send a message via Yahoo to ChrisWolfson Send a message via Skype™ to ChrisWolfson

z28 - 4wd is going to inherently use up parts more than other classes. None of the cars can be made as durable as 2wd or trucks because of all the moving parts. It's not a class for the average driver in my opinion. I think you have to ask yourself if you can run a clean heat with maybe one turn marshall or so. If the answer to that is no, then 4wd mod might not be for you. You're going to break parts in that circumstance.

Personally, I think the XXX4 is a good car. I like it because it is easy to work on and you can fix it pretty quickly. I think you just have to accept the mindset that you are going to break parts in 4wd and maintenance is at a premium in this class. Good luck with the car! It can handle that kind of motor. Just make sure it's built properly and you change the parts out as they wear out, which they inevitably will.

Old 12-21-2007, 01:14 PM   #13
Tech Adept

Yeah im gona back down and run a 2wd stock class of some sort. Half because im sick of breaking parts as im trying to learn, and half out of consideration for the drivers who are out there that know what they are doing. There is nothing wose than some newb out there bashing off the rest of the cars and crashing other people, and i dont wana be "that guy".

I dont think i made a single clean lap the other night at practice, at least on a lap that i was actually trying to run as if i were racing.

I dont mind maintaining a car, and im sure that as i get better i will break less and less parts. I like how complex the 4wd cars are, and thats why it was the first car i purchaed when i decided to get back into RC.
Old 12-21-2007, 02:41 PM   #14
Tech Addict

4WD is a great class for any level driver.

The key, as with any class, is to not over-power for your skill level, or chosen vehicle.
Metla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007, 05:44 PM   #15
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metla View Post
4WD is a great class for any level driver.

The key, as with any class, is to not over-power for your skill level, or chosen vehicle.
Amen!
convikt is offline   Reply With Quote