Wiki Posts
Search

MF2 Transmission Case snapping!

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2006, 10:42 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)
Default MF2 Transmission Case snapping!

Anyone else have there MF2 transmission snap in half?

I'm looking to see if there is an alternate or if anyone has created a brace or something.

I was thinking maybe a small turnbuckle from the top of the trany to the extra shock relocation hole?

Any ideas?

Mine snapped in half and the jump was very minimal and nothing big.
Old 09-04-2006, 12:00 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

The Gen II tranny has a problem with breaking. If your's broke on a minimal jump, then most likely it was cracked. I keep a spare in the parts box. I hear they are going back to the older tranny in the new XXX-CR and the new XXX-T when it comes out. Good luck.
Old 09-05-2006, 04:20 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 117 (100%+)

i broke my first tranny case awhile ago off a big jump(bk2 buggy)..and did not break one after. i actually try to land more to the front of the car then the rear...just keep a spare in your parts box..and you wont have to worry about it. i have seen alot of people break multiple ones though..
Old 09-05-2006, 09:31 AM
Tech Master

I have not had a problem with mine but have heard of it breaking on some people. If you go back with the MF2 tranny make sure not to overtighten the bolts. You could also convert to a MF1 tranny as it is stronger. The ratio is lower (2.43) so you will have adjust you gear ratio to suit. Should be a pretty easy conversion. Will you are at it I suggest upgrading to the heavy duty thrust bearing and the new CR style diff rings. The 2 copper/ two steel ring ring design extends diff life quite a bit. And makes for a super smooth diff too.
Old 09-05-2006, 01:36 PM
Tech Master

Well I have a MF1 and a MF2.

I bought the MF2 because I was told it was WAY better then the MF1.

Was I told wrong?
Old 09-05-2006, 02:54 PM
Tech Master

No you were told wright.Just that some people have had the tranny problem.
Old 09-05-2006, 03:29 PM
Tech Addict

I wouldn't say WAY beter... It has some things that are better but I miss my MF1.
Old 09-05-2006, 10:16 PM
Tech Master

any tips on bracing the trany to keep it from snapping?

I was thinking of running a small brace from the top of the transmission to the shock tower.

Think its worth it?
Old 09-05-2006, 10:30 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Not worth the cost or time than to buy another when/if it happens again. And that's coming from someone who has broken two in 3 years...both at the rear bottom screws.
Old 09-05-2006, 11:43 PM
Tech Master

Mine cracked completely in half right about the diff outputs.
Old 09-06-2006, 01:25 AM
Tech Master

This just happens to be a weak link in the car. There are a couple things you can do to ensure that this won't happen as often. For starters, you need to make sure that you tap these holes as this plastic is much more brittle than the rest of the plastic on the car. I would also suggest using some of the tan grease that losi provides with their kits. If you don't have this, some other form of lube like Green Slime will work. It's just to help the threading process, so even rubbing the screws against some "bar soap" will work. You also need to make sure that all the other screws that are holding your transmission together are tight. If you have a loose screw (the top one that goes through the shock tower likes to wiggle loose sometimes) somewhere in this area, it will cause the tranny to rock in it's position which puts undue stress on the two screws that attatch the tranny.

As for building a brace, if you were to build a brace it would just shift the weak point to another area back there. These cars are built to withstand only so much punishment, so if you strengthen them, then another area will be stressed and break. Like the other guys said, carry a spare in your box jst incase. I have broken a few over the lifetime of the car, which I think is over 2 years at this point. That is pretty normal, unless you never crash and downside every jump.....
Old 09-06-2006, 08:39 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I had the same problem with both my BK2 and MF2. It comes from those tail first landings. The top has the horizontal screw and the bottom has two vertical screws. The top screw acts like a pivot point when you land hard putting all the stress on the bottom and middle of the tranny case.

While I think it's a bad design, the reality is my bad driving caused it. The diff case is only like $7. I just carried a spare one at all times.
Old 12-15-2007, 09:30 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

this has happened to me to like the screws in the back keep on break the tranny case when you land on the tail what i did was bought the stiffest springs and put them on the back and lowered the shock on the show tower to balance out the ratio of the front to back spring but yeah i have went throught like 8 of those things and they will really make you mad after a while