R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 12-14-2007, 05:40 AM   #1
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default what bits for powered screwdrivers

Was looking to get some hex bits for my powered screwdriver. I have used the ofna ones but didn't know if there was any others available. Those that use these please give me some suggestions.
thanks
coryip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 07:16 AM   #2
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by coryip View Post
Was looking to get some hex bits for my powered screwdriver. I have used the ofna ones but didn't know if there was any others available. Those that use these please give me some suggestions.
thanks
Not that you were asking for my opinion specifically, but I would recommend NONE !

Like I said its just my .02 but why in the world would you be using a powered screwdriver on a rc car. 9 times out of 10 your putting metal screws into plastic. Its easy enough to strip manually, why would you want to use anything powered?

If I am missing the point, sorry.
Old 12-14-2007, 07:31 AM   #3
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Power screwdrivers all the way. I just use any standard/metric bits available from the hardware store. As opposed to what OG said, I prefer a power screwdriver when it comes to screwing into plastic. The resistance of the plastic against the screw can really tire my hands if I have to do more than a couple of screws. Of course you have to be smart enough to not torque down the screws with the power screwdriver. Stop a mil short and finish it off with your regular screwdriver. They make quick work of any job that requires more than two screws.
foolio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 07:57 AM   #4
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

They make jobs much quicker. I am not talking about a drill but the small units by skil, black and decker, etc. And yes you still finish by hand but for disassembly these make things go so much faster.
I have some bits but they fit terrible and i rarely use the driver because of this.
Just looking for some higher quality ones, the ofna set has long shanks making it easier to get into some areas.
coryip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 08:11 AM   #5
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Check out McMaster-Carr....i just picked up a bunch of them for work.

www.mcmaster.com

the bits you want are on page 2752 of their online catalog.

good luck!
Crim3Wav3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 10:45 AM   #6
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by coryip View Post
They make jobs much quicker. I am not talking about a drill but the small units by skil, black and decker, etc. And yes you still finish by hand but for disassembly these make things go so much faster.
I have some bits but they fit terrible and i rarely use the driver because of this.
Just looking for some higher quality ones, the ofna set has long shanks making it easier to get into some areas.
understood
Old 12-15-2007, 10:22 PM   #7
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

I have a Skil IXO2 and love it. It is small, super light and comfortable to use. It only has forward and reverse at 200 rpm's, but the Lithium-Ion battery lasts forever. It charges quickly too when you do need to charge it. The only thing it doesn't have is an adjustable clutch. But the power isn't all that much and the slow speed allows you to stop it when the screw gets 95% torqued down. I then finish it off with my Hudy hex drivers.

Hitachi makes a Lithium Ion cordless driver that used to be $80 but is now been reduced to $50 at Lowe's. It comes with two batteries, charger, has two speeds and most importantly an adjustable clutch. Everyone I know that has it says it is the BOMB. I have one waiting for me under the Xmas tree .

As for bits, I have the 2.0mm and 2.5mm Mugen hex driver bits. They are very high quality but aren't cheap.

Best regards,

Tonys Screws LLC
http://www.tonysscrews.com
High Grade Alloy Steel Screws, Screw Kits and Mugen Parts
TonysScrews is offline   Reply With Quote