Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Reversible ESC in a buggy. Do or don't?

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2007, 09:11 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)
Default Reversible ESC in a buggy. Do or don't?

Hey Guy's

Returning to the rc scene after a long hiatus, and can't believe how much things have changed.

Should you run an ESC with reverse in your buggy? Why do they offer ones without reverse? Why wouldn't you want reverse? If someone can shed some light on this for me it would be much appreciated.

p.s. It's for a FT B44

Thanks
Old 12-13-2007, 12:18 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

Reverse isn't legal for racing. So, if your just going to bash, go with reverse, if you plan to race get a speedo without.
Old 12-13-2007, 12:44 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Bad,

I would get a brushless system if you are just getting back into rc. Will save you money in the long run. Also, the brushless esc's have different profiles you select from. The novaks have like 4 profiles and 1 or 2 of the profiles has reverse and the others dont'. This way, if you race you can change the profile to without reverse and when you dont or are just practicing, change to a reversible profile.

Brushless is definitely the way to go!!

Good luck.
Old 12-13-2007, 12:53 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 45 (100%+)

Expect to be placed in the mod class with brushless, some tracks have a brushless class. Mod class is very fast, maybe start again in stock or 19t. A 10.5 brushless motor is about the same as a 19t. It all depends on your driving skills, good luck.
Old 12-13-2007, 01:42 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by desertraton
Expect to be placed in the mod class with brushless, some tracks have a brushless class. Mod class is very fast, maybe start again in stock or 19t. A 10.5 brushless motor is about the same as a 19t. It all depends on your driving skills, good luck.
Not necessarily true. The 13.5 brushless is considered to be "stock" class at some local tracks. You will have to check with your track to see what they classify brushless turns. I know some racetracks that class the 19t as a stock class motor also.
Old 12-13-2007, 05:21 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

I would get a 10.5 and run the 19t class. At least here any way our track is big and 13.5 or 27t is pretty boring.

The Novak GTB (Im sure others too) has 5 brushless profiles, and you can choose to use reverse or forward only. I leave the reverse on because I practice more than I race, and usually during practice there isnt people on the track ready and willing to un stick me, if I get stuck. Reverse is very helpful at times.

For the race just turn it off, that simple. Even when I race I leave it on even though I am not suposed to. The GTB has a reverse delay that lets you use full brake with our the reverse turning on, unless you hit reverse a couple times in a row.

I would get it. I have driven with esc that didnt have it, and I perfer reverse.

Just my .02
Old 12-13-2007, 09:42 PM
Tech Apprentice

In the brushed world the top of the line ESC are forward only. Probably for a few reasons like smaller size because you don’t have to provide FETs for reverse, lower forward resistance, and reverse being illegal in races. Now that I am in the brushless world I can’t live without the reverse that my GTB has. It just makes it much easier for practice. Like OG RC 10T said on race day I don’t change settings. The delay suffices just fine. The newest LRP TC brushless ESC doesn’t have reverse which is a shame because that leaves it off my ‘to buy’ list. Two thumps up for reverse for me.
Old 12-13-2007, 09:55 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Wait... I thought the GTB was only forwards?

I agree. You should get a brushless/brushed ESC such as the GTB or Mamba Max. That way you can start out with a stock motor (which are still fast, mind you) and then when you're ready, buy a brushless motor.

This is what I plan to do, since I am running on a lower budget than most people on these forums. However, buying an esc that can at least do brushless will open up opportunities in the future.

What kind of driving/racing are you looking to do?
Old 12-14-2007, 02:14 AM
Tech Elite

Lrp and Nosram TC-specs have no reverse, AFAIK all GTB's do have reverse.

Last edited by UK.hardcore; 12-14-2007 at 08:32 AM. Reason: not clear what i ment.
Old 12-14-2007, 06:53 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by UK.hardcore
Lrp and Nosram TC-specs have no reverse, AFAIK all GTB's do.
GTB's do have a profile with reverse...actually 2 of them.

Our track allows 13.5 in stock FWIW.
Old 12-14-2007, 07:33 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

GTB has reverse, but never use it, when using it, if you double pump the brakes the second time the car can be put into reverse whilst the car is still going forwards = stripped gears.

amazes me when people complain they get stripped gears when they always use reverse when the car is still going forwards.
Old 12-14-2007, 11:16 AM
Tech Addict

Thanks for all the great info guys. I am going to be running my B44 in offroad, and dirt oval comps. I will be doing quite a bit of backyard bashing too though. I definitely like the idea of having reverse and now that I now you can lock it out for races that don't approve I will be getting one of those models. I am still undecided about the brushless setup, but would love to get an esc that is capable of handling brushed or brushless so I'm not stuck to one option or the other. The upside to the brushless is low maintenance but the downside is the cost of the lipo packs. If you run a brushless setup with nimh's is it still faster than a brushed setup?
Old 12-14-2007, 11:24 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by UK.hardcore
Lrp and Nosram TC-specs have no reverse, AFAIK all GTB's do have reverse.
LRP Sphere series and new Eraser series have reverse don't they?

I was actually looking into the new Eraser series. Brushless combo at a reasonable price, due out in December.
Old 12-14-2007, 11:28 AM
Tech Adept

Bad,

Brushless can be used with nicds and nimh. You don't have to have lipo to run brushless.

On the note of getting an esc to run both brushed and brushless the novak gtb and the xbr are capable of running both also. I think there is not turn limit on both, but, I will have to look.

Hope this helps.
Old 12-14-2007, 02:59 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

DO lock out reverse when racing. The modern ESC with reverse usually have a lock out option. It's really unfair to the guys that don't have reverse to have someone accidently (or on purpose) tap reverse to get out of a jam. Even if that happens 1 time per race, you might save 5 or 10 seconds, changing the finishing order significantly.

Your question: why no reverse allowed in races ?

(1) electronic gizmos in the ESC - you need less of them, and they have less resistance = slightly more power (used to be a bigger deal than it is today with the low resistance ESC's we now have).

(2) reverse = back into traffic = wreck the guy who DIDN'T wreck (I think this is the biggest reason).

(3) no reverse = you train yourself to wreck less. Of course I would run reverse if races allowed it. And in the past I have often practiced with reverse engaged then reset the ESC at race time. But I found it taught me bad habits, like being more careless about wrecking. I learned to drive more carefully in practice. This helps win / place in races, a nice bonus.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.