Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Most popular(best) brushless combo for B44

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2007, 12:13 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Craps
Just go to any forum and there is always a multi page Mamba fix thread there that is full of "I can't get rid of the cog"!

As far as Mamba's I have driven are ones of racers that had worked with them for a while and asked me to try it to see if I could help. You just can't make a sensorless as smooth as a sensored. It ain't gonna happen!

Funny nobody has responded to the rolling backwards throttle test for the Mamba because you know it is true!!!!
I'm just glad I tried a different setup than you did.
Because it will give us both a different race experince.
I'm racing with NiMH, and you with Lipo.
Our cars will drive different due to this, and that is good!
Old 12-16-2007, 01:18 PM
wyd
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 51 (100%+)

Just go to any forum and there is always a multi page Mamba fix thread there that is full of "I can't get rid of the cog"!

As far as Mamba's I have driven are ones of racers that had worked with them for a while and asked me to try it to see if I could help. You just can't make a sensorless as smooth as a sensored. It ain't gonna happen!

Funny nobody has responded to the rolling backwards throttle test for the Mamba because you know it is true!!!!
I already done that test and I have no cogging just massive power wheelies. I quoted you on that but you sensor must not of been plugged in when you where reading so you stuttered over that post. As far it will never be as smooth......well if I was you I wouldn't bet the farm on it because you have no idea what is coming and thats all I'm allowed to say at this time other than you will be wrong.

Again I ask how smooth must it be. Rock crawling has to be way smoother than any touring car or offroad racing and I can rock crawl all day long as slow as I want to go. Where talking 4wd mod brushless.........never seen smooth in this class ever!!!!!!!!!!! More like a guy using a light switch after every corner.

Anytime you ever get to Bumps and Jumps here in Harrisburg PA I will be happy to show you.
Old 12-16-2007, 01:27 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Craps... I don't know about you but when I am racing... my car doesn't stop or roll backwards. It goes like this:

We all know you don't like Mambas. If you want to talk about the smoothest system money can buy it's LRP. ha ha ha
Old 12-16-2007, 01:45 PM
Tech Elite

I just responded and it doesn't matter. BTW, this may in fact no longer exist with the new software coming. And don't think I'm just a blind "Mamba guy"... I have been critical of them also and don't claim it's perfect.

I run an LRP in my B4. But I'm happy with the mamba in truck and 4wd. I've had a sponsored driver race my truck before and he had no issues at all... after a full day of racing it and TQ and win, he said it felt fine to him. He runs LRP too, like most of the fast guys in my area. Of course some run Novak too. Please don't tell us that Novak is somehow better than LRP or will help you be a better racer.

All of this means what? If you're an A team level racer, run a LRP/Novak... but for average club racing (even one of the fast local guys) the Mamba is fine.

The biggest "problem" with the Mamba is not that it can stutter when rolling backwards, but that they tend to be too powerful... too much torque to control. A weaker/slower motor would actually improve the raceability of the system. I have heard that an Orion/Speedpassion motor makes the Mamba feel more like a novak/lrp, and that makes sense.
Old 12-16-2007, 01:56 PM
Tech Adept

I have to say once I replaced those mamba motor connector plugs and bought a Spektrum radio I never had a problem with cogging until my NiMH battery got too low. The speed control also seems very stout and has never shut down on me. I'm no sponsored racer just local and not too serious, at least not yet, so I'm wondering if I should stick with Castle. It makes my RC18T a rocket. The only thing I'm worried about is the bearing I blew in my T4 and I have yet to receive the replacement. Does anyone know if Mamba is coming out with some new gear soon for a B44 application? Or anything to make the system even bette?
Old 12-16-2007, 02:01 PM
Tech Master

Glad to hear you guys never spin out! you guys are real good!
Old 12-16-2007, 02:08 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 27 (97%+)

when you spin out. you have something wrong with your setup. and in that case you arent driving to your full potential anyhow.

p.s
i dont spin out that much where im worried about it.. the only time i usually spin out is if i case a landing or some other strange occurance.. but even when i do.. the hundreths of a second that i loose because of the slight cog down low ive already lost due to the crash.
Old 12-16-2007, 02:34 PM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

My issues were not so much with the cogging (though I had experianced it), but with the level of inconsistancy. I run a tight track with a typical double single for stock, which in turn is a tight triple for mod. This is where it would be most noticable. 2 parts - air control and consistancy. After running BOTH, I notice that the LRP has much more consistancy and ability to make mid air adjustments. I could not get the mamba to throttle in air, and upon the short ramp I never knew if I was to over shoot or hit short. Also, it seemed to be like a light switch. If you were 25% it was slow but if you hit 50% it would take off like 75%. I spent too much time trying to make it work and could never get it to how smooth the LRP is out of the box.

To say that for even the club racer this would not matter much, I would have to strongly disagree. Speed is not the factor for a new racer but consistancy. So how is someone to learn with an inconsistant power delivery. Yes, someone with mod experiance or a highend driver could take the system and put down fast laps, but I doubt they would take it with them to a large race. As far as the mamba for crawling, everyone I can tell is using brushed 55 turn lathe motors so we are not even talking about brushless. I like the mamba system for anything other than competetive racing. If you take it out in your yard, you will have some fun no doubt. Programable, and I never had mine thermal. If you want to buy a B44 and race for real, sensored.
Old 12-16-2007, 02:36 PM
wyd
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 51 (100%+)

I don't spin out...........I flip.
Old 12-16-2007, 03:05 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

whats wrong with cogging?

when the brushless with bonded rotor came out they were pretty much cogless.

but people said they didnt "feel" like a brushed motor coz thye didnt cog.

now with sintered rotor with the stronger magnets it cogs alot more and people are saying it cogs too much.
Old 12-16-2007, 03:37 PM
Suspended

We better not worry about these so called Mamba lovers and
just stick with Novak's we got.

Who cares what they run...I dont...
Old 12-16-2007, 03:39 PM
Tech Adept

That's a really good point sandbagger, especially with the buggies. I have not driven many buggies but I've watched them race a lot and mid air adjustments seem to make or break your lap times so it looks like sensored just might be the way to go for racing the B44, whether it be Novak or LRP I'm not sure, just worried about thermal shutdown. Does the LRP need a fan like the GTB?
Old 12-16-2007, 04:34 PM
Tech Master

when i race with my mamba. i have no problem with in air adjustments.. none whatso ever.. cogging only happens under load..

btw i just went and ran my tc30 v3 4wd buggy with my mamba 5700. and how my esc is set i rolled it backwards.
i rolled on the throttle.. NO cogging what so ever
i even rolled it backwards again.
hit the throttle more agressivly.. guess what no cogging
then finally i rolled it backwards and then punched the throttle and guess what NO COGGING
im running maxamps 6000 lipos.
i can see cogging being a issue with nimh cells. but not lipo since they can source more power..

i got rid of my gtb and went back to the castle because i like the raw power of it. its smaller
and it doesnt thermal EVER ,the gtb thermalling cost me first place in the b main..
i was in the b main due to bad qualifers.. the wall was a magnet.. that day
Old 12-16-2007, 04:54 PM
Tech Elite

Actually I don't, I guess. Seriously, I don't recall EVER having a problem due to cogging because I was rolling backwards while racing. And if I did find myself in that position I could hardly blame the esc. That's like blaming a turn marshall, you know?

I have never seen any delay or stutter etc from a standstill either.

Here's the TRUE issue with the MM, and the only thing that is a legitimate knock on the system:
(The cogging problems often mentioned are due simply to the connectors on the motors.. dirty, faulty, etc) Replacing or removing the connectors cures that, period.

The only real issue with the MM systems is a very subtle and rare "glitch" that occurs coming back on throttle from a neutral throttle, such as when rolling through a sweeper off throttle and then coming back on power. It appears more as a radio glitch. It happens only occasionally in my experience... not every race, and often not once all day. It's subtle enough that most racers have not noticed, and likely it would go unnoticed on any outdoor track. The times I see it are running on a smooth indoor track.

This is a product of being sensorless, yes. BUT... that's not to say that it can't be fixed. I have seen other brands that do not have this quirk. Let's see what happens with Tekin for example. I have run several other sensorless brands that do not do this either. I've never heard of the U75 doing it. Castle is finally working on it and is supposed to have new software that is much better and should eliminate it.

If you are top 3 in the A main at a big race and a single little glitch once or twice during the weekend cost you a win.... then you have a problem. Most racers are not in that position and one glitch per day isn't a big deal. That is... if you even notice it.... as most racers have not.

Flame away
Old 12-16-2007, 04:58 PM
Tech Master

glassdoctor very good post
but you might wanna check into that neutral to on power glitch.
out of my two mamba systems i have never had that happen..in my 4wd buggy i solder the motor wires directly to the esc.. he he.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.