R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 12-15-2007, 09:13 PM   #16
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 26 (96%+)
Send a message via AIM to chewiefttc4 Send a message via Yahoo to chewiefttc4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craps View Post
Novak GTBs were 1 and 2 in the B44s that raced today at my track. The winner had a Novak 4.5 and 2nd place had a Novak 5.5L motor.

Sensored is for racing!
Sensorless is for bashing!

Most of the sensorless Mamba racers have switched to the sensored Novak system!!!
the whole sensored/sensorles thing couldnt be further from the truth.. i USED to run the gtb until i tried a mamba max.. and guess whats up for sale.. my gtb..
first place b main had some rough qualifers..so i didnt place better.

the novak systems have more to go wrong. than sensorless systems.
and frankly i didnt like the feel of the gtb coming from a mamba..

there is nothing wrong with mamba systems.. and can be smooth as silk.. and they are user friendly

and frankly i wont touch anything lrp... due to their horrible customer service. had a few experiences and went to novak. and there is nothing wrong with novaks customer service but castles is just as good if not better

unless you have driven a refined mamba system please dont knock it down or preach otherwise.
chewiefttc4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2007, 09:23 PM   #17
wyd
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 50 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to wyd

I know how my Mamba works and have driven every Novak and LRP sytem out and while they work fine non of them work any better than my Mamba system does. I like that the Mamba has no sensor wires and that it is more adjustable than any system on the market.

Everyone is going to have opinions so just go with the one that offers you the most features you are looking for.
Custom Works (Best Oval Cars around)
wyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2007, 09:29 PM   #18
Tech Master

yay cookie for you

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyd View Post
I know how my Mamba works and have driven every Novak and LRP sytem out and while they work fine non of them work any better than my Mamba system does. I like that the Mamba has no sensor wires and that it is more adjustable than any system on the market.

Everyone is going to have opinions so just go with the one that offers you the most features you are looking for.

chewie approves of this message
Old 12-15-2007, 09:45 PM   #19
Tech Master

Sorry but I have driven Mamba's owned by others and raced with the Schulze U-Force 75 ESC with Plettenberg Extreme motor for 2 years that is best sensorless system money can buy for a 1/10th scale, the same system Mamba copied and both do not match the smoothness of the sensored Novak system. It is impossible for sensorless to match sensored on initial throttle up because sensorless has no way of knowing rotor position or even direction until it moves 1 rpm. Try letting a Mamba or any sensorless roll backwards and hit the throttle, you either get stuttering or cogging or it takes off faster backwards due to the lack of sensors to tell the esc the location and direction of the rotor in the motor. With sensorless you have to wait till it stops rolling backwards before you can go forward again however long that takes. You do not have that problem with the sensored Novak system and it WILL be smoother on the throttle too!!!!

Mamba motors are also not ROAR approved for racing!

Sorry Mamba guys the facts are the facts!!!!
Craps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2007, 09:48 PM   #20
Suspended

The main reason why I bought the GTB system.

I can use ANY brushed or brushless motor in that B44 that comes out!!
The team checkpoint brushless when it comes out people
will go crazy over it and will be the best motor you can buy.

So if I ever decide to go back to brushed motors I can.
bmaglinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2007, 09:56 PM   #21
wyd
Tech Legend

Quote:
Sorry but I have driven Mamba's owned by others and raced with the Schulze U-Force 75 ESC with Plettenberg Extreme motor for 2 years that is best sensorless system money can buy for a 1/10th scale, the same system Mamba copied and both do not match the smoothness of the sensored Novak system. It is impossible for sensorless to match sensored on initial throttle up because sensorless has no way of knowing rotor position or even direction until it moves 1 rpm. Try letting a Mamba or any sensorless roll backwards and hit the throttle, you either get stuttering or cogging or it takes off faster backwards due to the lack of sensors to tell the esc the location and direction of the rotor in the motor. With sensorless you have to wait till it stops rolling backwards before you can go forward again however long that takes. You do not have that problem with the sensored Novak system and it WILL be smoother on the throttle too!!!!

Mamba motors are also not ROAR approved for racing!

Sorry Mamba guys the facts are the facts!!!!
Only a few motors are ROAR approved and most tracks don't care what you run and especially in open mod.

How smooth is one talking because between my radio and my Caslte Link I can have it smooth enough to rock crawl so how much smoother does it need to be? My Mamba is as smooth as any of my stock or mod brushed motors and other than having different power bands.
Old 12-16-2007, 05:47 AM   #22
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyd View Post
Only a few motors are ROAR approved and most tracks don't care what you run and especially in open mod.

How smooth is one talking because between my radio and my Caslte Link I can have it smooth enough to rock crawl so how much smoother does it need to be? My Mamba is as smooth as any of my stock or mod brushed motors and other than having different power bands.
Now roll your Mamba powered car backwards, punch the throttle while rolling backwards and tell me how smooth it is???? That is not smooth!!!!

Sensored is for racing!
Old 12-16-2007, 08:38 AM   #23
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I just switched from the mamba system to the LRP and couldn't be happier. Everyone said that the mamba system can be smooth, and follow these steps and you won't have any cogging. I never could achieve this as fully as LRP. For a mod racer who needs precise air control and tight track handling, the mamba system is inconsistant. Maybe if you are running on a large high speed track it could work well. I would be skeptical in 4wd due to the lack of air control with the mamba. I am not saying they don't make a great system because it is fast as hell and never thermals. For racing, craps is correct. Serious racers are going to need sensored.

Last edited by Sandbagger!; 12-16-2007 at 09:40 AM.
Sandbagger! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 08:59 AM   #24
Tech Master

Edit

Last edited by Craps; 12-16-2007 at 12:12 PM.
Old 12-16-2007, 09:13 AM   #25
wyd
Tech Legend

Quote:
Now roll your Mamba powered car backwards, punch the throttle while rolling backwards and tell me how smooth it is???? That is not smooth!!!!

Sensored is for racing!
Actually I have tested this a few times for Castle and just because others wanted to see what it does at my track. Only thing it did was make my car pull wheelies on the jump since we have off the charts traction. I wouldn't say it stutters or coggs as it moves forward as fast as I can pull the trigger. I do use top notch equipment so that might help alot to.
Old 12-16-2007, 09:40 AM   #26
Tech Initiate

Sorry Craps, I read that backwards. Late night at the track. I will edit.
Sandbagger! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 10:07 AM   #27
Tech Master

i race with nothing but sensorless systems.. and in air control is just fine..
the only time it sort of coggs is when you do a 180 and even then its for a FRACTION of a second.
the guy whos looking for a brushless has his own options. but if he wants a equally great system and still saves some loot.. then the mamba is the way to go.. who doesnt love infinite adjustability. just by clicking with a mouse..
you can also radio program.and new firmware and beta come out for the esc and it will never be outta date

as far as what craps said..
guess what the sensorless system that you had is NOT a mamba.. ive driven hacker systems. and such and yes they cogg alot down low and generally suck and i wouldnt even think about putting them in my race rigs.
and the mambas youve driven are probably outta the box setups. not that they are far off from the box.. just a little fine tuning. and they are smooth as silk.. ps. the mamba esc runs novak motors and orion motors just fine..

anyways.. whatever system you decide to get welcome to the wonderful world of brushless
Old 12-16-2007, 10:35 AM   #28
wyd
Tech Legend

Problem is this thread is no different than what car is better thread. Everyone has opinons and experiances. Some lets face it don't have a clue and have problems because of that, some know what they are doing and stuff works great.

These threads solve nothing and again you hear from about 1% at best of people using these products.
Old 12-16-2007, 11:07 AM   #29
Tech Elite

I would just go with a sensored system like previously posted. There are too many little problem with sensorless system for racing applications....
Old 12-16-2007, 12:17 PM   #30
Tech Master

Just go to any forum and there is always a multi page Mamba fix thread there that is full of "I can't get rid of the cog"!

As far as Mamba's I have driven are ones of racers that had worked with them for a while and asked me to try it to see if I could help. You just can't make a sensorless as smooth as a sensored. It ain't gonna happen!

Funny nobody has responded to the rolling backwards throttle test for the Mamba because you know it is true!!!!