Community
Wiki Posts
Search

off road buggy for small track

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2007, 11:39 PM
Tech Apprentice

Default off road buggy for small track

after i have been using my Tamiya Hornet for fun, i now want a off road buggy for a small track but when it comes to buggys i know nothing

so in your oppinion what is best for what i want to do?
Old 12-05-2007, 02:59 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

here is a list and range of buggies that fit into various price range, there is thread of each car on this forum. use the search button

kyosho zx5
Academy SBV2 Pro
Associated B44
Tamiya Durga
Old 12-05-2007, 03:01 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

Originally Posted by magm20001
here is a list and range of buggies that fit into various price range, there is thread of each car on this forum. use the search button

kyosho zx5
Academy SBV2 Pro
Associated B44
Tamiya Durga
B44 Hand's Down,
Old 12-05-2007, 03:55 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Those are all 4wd. I'm assuming going from a Hornet, you're looking for a 2wd buggy?

Academy GV2
Associated B4
Kyosho Ultima
Losi XXX CR

Same advice as above. All of these should have threads in this forum. Do a search to find more information. If anyone at your track has a buggy, see if they'll let you try it out and see if you like it or not.
Old 12-05-2007, 04:07 AM
Tech Apprentice

i like the look of the Losi XXX CR, i think im going to look for it and the cost of the other ones but so far the Losi is the one
Old 12-05-2007, 04:56 AM
Tech Fanatic

If I could offer some insight.

The Losi may not be the best choice for a small track. By nature of the design, they push quite a bit which makes tight technical sections hard to get dialed in. I'm not saying that it's not a good buggy, I drive 2 of them, but they are more difficult to get setup for a tight track.

The B4 out of the box corners very well and from what I've researched on the Academy (don't have one to try yet) it's a nice cross between the two that is comfortable and easy to drive.
Old 12-05-2007, 07:52 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 67 (100%+)
Default Buggy

I agree with previous post. I ran Losi XX, XXX, and XXX CR in the past. I switched to the B4 and found it to turn much faster. You are able to carve corners faster and smoother with a B4. The set up that is box standard works great on most tracks. There are many others posted on the Internet that also work. You would find the B4 to be a better choice for your situation. Losi is a good buggy also; I am not trashing it.
Old 12-05-2007, 08:56 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

If you just having fun, get what every one you like the looks of the best. They are all good buggies, and they are all just a little different.

If you have any intention on using a track for fun, or to try out racing, buy what ever your local hobby shop carries the most of, this way if you need help, or parts they are readily available.

It sure beats a 3 to 5 day mail order wait time if you buy a car that they dont have parts on hand for.
Old 12-05-2007, 09:21 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

If this track is outdoor and/or less than table top smooth (most outdoor tracks tend to be a lot rougher than indoor tracks), you'd do well to consider a stadium truck. They are much easier to drive on rough tracks because of their bigger tires, longer suspension travel and larger footpring (wider and longer).

Last edited by Davidka; 12-05-2007 at 09:59 AM.
Old 12-05-2007, 09:33 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Davidka
If this track is outdoor and or/less than table top smooth (most outdoor tracks tend to be a lot rougher than indoor tracks), you'd do well to consider a stadium truck. They are much easier to drive on rough tracks because of their bigger tires, longer suspension travel and larger footpring (wider and longer).
I absolutely agree with this. Something to consider.
Old 12-05-2007, 08:44 PM
Tech Apprentice

wow um b4 looks good
i will be using it for racing on Mud as there is a mud track near me, i did try the hornet on there but found the front end would just bounce around
so now in thinking something 4wd but i like 2wd