R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 12-03-2007, 02:59 PM   #16
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to kuzo

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTurtleMan View Post
The case wont help, and in fact could make it worse. You would know what I mean if you made bombs as a kid too.
Not trying to nitpick but from all the hardcases I've seen, none would be capable of containing it enough for an explosion. They easily separate which would remove the compression required for an explosion to occur. Not like they're likely to ignite anyway.
kuzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 07:30 PM   #17
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

I would think that the case is really just to offer some added protection for the cells from damage rather than contain a fire or explosion.
slakr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 07:58 PM   #18
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

A plastic case does nothing to stop a fire, venting, "explosion" (if you also call popping a ziplock baggie an explosion) etc... all it does is help protect tth cells from physical damage. In fact, the case is probably more of a bad thing when it comes to a cell going nuclear. You won't notice puffing as easy as with a non-cased pack.
glassdoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 09:08 PM   #19
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Great suggestions everyone. Keep them coming. I was thinking the hard case would help with damage from some kind of impact, a crash or whatever not so much for fire/explosion. Seems to be so many opinions that you guys arent helping with my decsion though. LOL
ROBBSRACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 06:50 AM   #20
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by glassdoctor View Post
A plastic case does nothing to stop a fire, venting, "explosion" (if you also call popping a ziplock baggie an explosion) etc... all it does is help protect tth cells from physical damage. In fact, the case is probably more of a bad thing when it comes to a cell going nuclear. You won't notice puffing as easy as with a non-cased pack.
You will notice any separation on the case halves pretty easily. They come down tight against each other. You would fail to notice even a 1mm gap in the cases? Not likely.

It seems a lot of the argument against hardcases is pretty far fetched in my opinion. I think the obvious reason is simple - $$$.
Old 12-04-2007, 09:40 PM   #21
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

It looks like it will be the Max Amps 6000's. After speaking with them it seems like they are the best choice for me.
ROBBSRACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 09:49 PM   #22
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 54 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to AndyMoore

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuzo View Post
You will notice any separation on the case halves pretty easily. They come down tight against each other. You would fail to notice even a 1mm gap in the cases? Not likely.

It seems a lot of the argument against hardcases is pretty far fetched in my opinion. I think the obvious reason is simple - $$$.
The cases protect against impact, and piercing/damaging the cells is probably the biggest safety issue.
Old 12-05-2007, 01:24 AM   #23
Tech Adept

The two peices of a hard cased are not acutally joined together, they simply put a strip of double sided tape on the top and bottom of the pack and attach the hard case. You would notice even just a little puffing of the pack.
_pilot_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 07:18 AM   #24
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyMoore View Post
The cases protect against impact, and piercing/damaging the cells is probably the biggest safety issue.
Exactly. I just received a the Trinity 4500 pack so I could check it out. When I finally received, the packaging looked fine but the pack itself had an impact hard enough to shatter the case on one side. Looking at the cells though (easy to do since there was a big chunk missing) it looked like no dents or punctures on the cells themselves. Now I'm a total klutz. I'm bound to drop a pack ( which is probably what Trinity's manufacturer did before packing mine ) and cause some damage. I don't think a soft pack would have survived this.
Old 12-05-2007, 09:36 PM   #25
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

i've been using the orion 3200 in my rb5 for the past few months.
i think the 2wd tub-chassis offers the BEST protection for the battery. therefore, both hard & soft case are suitable for 2wd buggies.
but the same cannot be said for other classes.

i intend to start using the 3200 on my xray T2 and i will certainly think twice about using a soft-cased lipo, especially when the battery will be exposed to both - side-impacts and potential wear from the belt (if the battery shifted).