R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 11-29-2007, 06:16 AM   #16
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to scrubnick

I ran the Traxxas system for awhile and i was pretty happy with it. No adjustments available, but it got the job done pretty well. It was also half the size of my 1/12th scale, but still, it worked.
Now, the R1 from Tekin, there's a solid choice. Lots of adjustability, real small size and great control. A bit pricey, but well worth it.
Old 11-29-2007, 10:38 AM   #17
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 240 (100%+)

ran mamba maxes in 4wd 1/10 buggy, 2wd 1/10 scale truck. Initial unit had slight cogging initially, changed setting on esc, was gone. Second unit, no cogging. suprised guy at track who hated the regular mamba 1/18 scale since it was pretty much on or off as he said. He liked how smooth it was.

I run a mamba max in a 1/8 scale conversion, and other than that creep cogg if I try to make it do it, it works great. (using a Neu motor)

Both units have pluses and minuses, but for the money, I really like my mamba maxes.

As for Novak being more than willing to help you convert over, if I had a unit to sell you, I would be more than happy to help you get into out product as well
Old 11-29-2007, 12:15 PM   #18
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Mamba is fine for onroad, but not the best for off. I would get the Novak GTB system.

http://www.rctech.net/forum/showthread.php?t=184104

WWW.BUSTOUTBMX.COM
TheTurtleMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 12:32 PM   #19
wyd
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 50 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to wyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by air8 View Post
wyd--you use the connectors on the mamba? That's cool. I've been talking the newer drivers into using connectors so they can bash at home and switch motors at the track to race in a class. Once I started hearing about cogging issues I started to wonder if I was doing the wrong thing with the newbies. But I haven't heard any complaints yet. YET!! LOL.
I use the connectors. Once the new Castle stuff comes out oh so soon will see about who has the smoothest setup.

This is my current offroad car. You can see my wiring.

Custom Works (Best Oval Cars around)
wyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 12:37 PM   #20
Super Moderator

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 182 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyd View Post
I use the connectors. Once the new Castle stuff comes out oh so soon will see about who has the smoothest setup.

This is my current offroad car. You can see my wiring.

very nice!!
Marcos.J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 12:55 PM   #21
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcos.J View Post
very nice!!
pm sent to marcos and wyd
JR Z1,Orion 4300Mah,Ib 4200Mah,Ice,Rp,Trinity.
Race Prepaired & Driven By TEAM DRIVER (BARBER)
barber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 01:10 PM   #22
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyd View Post
Hmmm, I sense a little to much info being given out wyd. Careful, you know what happens when the guys from CC give out even the slightest hint of something new happening. Like that update, you know the one???

BTW, I use the connectors too. The only issue I've had so far with the Mamba was due to bad a battery pack and a broken switch.

sparkplug1288j: IMHO I think people will debate all day and night about which is better but the only person that really matters is you. Do yourself a favor and try to have a drive of a vehicle with both systems and see what appeals to your driving style. I was fortunate enough to do this and I found the Mamba was more suited to my driving style.
Super_Roo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 01:21 PM   #23
Suspended

Thumbs up

Nice looking X-6!
losidriver70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 01:24 PM   #24
Tech Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by party_wagon View Post
I would get the mamba system for a 4wd buggy. The novak systems some times have trouble staying cool in a buggy. w/ the mamba you will need to remove the bullet plugs & direct solder the motor wires, they are often times the cause of the cogging. For batteries I would run a 2p 2s a123 racing saddle pack if your local track will allow lithiums. They are durable so you don't have to worry about them when you get bumped in the side. You can pull them from dewalt 36 volt packs at around $8-$10 a cell. The a123s can be discharged at an extremely high rate so cogging shouldn't be an issue. They can also be charged in 15 minutes if you wire up a charging plug in series, & one for parallel for when you race. Your best bet would be to split a 10 cell dewalt 36volt pack w/ a buddy & make a pack for each of you.
ive ran mamba in every way you can think of and only way you ha ve coggin issues is if you use the stupid bullet plugs it comes with. Do whats said above he knows what hes talking about. Also lower the burst down to 50% or youll be breaking stuff and out of control on dirt.
zephar123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 01:29 PM   #25
Tech Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattnin View Post
It most certainly is not a figment of imagination! I certainly was not a hater when I owned Mamba Max systems either. I owned two complete systems, painted all my vehicles with cool Mamba Max lettering, etc.... I believe my opinion should be considered fair.

Starting off, I only own the best equipment money can buy and I race, I do not bash, at high desert raceplace in grand junction, co. I use Ko Propo EX-10 Helios radio w/ spektrum pro, caps, Hitec 5955 TG digital servos, I had mamba max 5700 and 7700 kv systems, used in Team Losi MF2 stadium truck, JConcepts BJ4WE, AE B4 and T4, now I am using a Sanwa Exzes Plus digital stick radio w/ spektrum pro, IB 3800 nimh batteries matched side by side, balanced every run, and further, on to running maxamps and rc common sense lipos and A123 batteries.

As you can see, by my setups, there should be absolutely no reason a mamba max should cog. I tried everything, removing the gold connectors, re positioning the antenna, receiver, buying a brand new radio even! etc... No matter what, I would notice a very slight, but noticeable and annoying hiccup, or cogging.

I lived with it for a while, but this slight hiccup that a mamba max has would cause me to throw wins. It would hiccup, and I would spin out. Or it would hiccup again, and I would hesitate ever so slightly lose milliseconds on accelerating out of a turn. Where this problem affected me the most was on acceleration, coming out of turns. It would hiccup, the rear would act un-predictable due to that, and I would either spin out, or lose milliseconds of time.

Even if the mamba max hiccups once per race, that was once too many, I finally concluded.

Thank god for the fine people at Novak. A very nice person from Novak personally helped me convert back to Novak, and all those stuttering, hiccuping issues are now completely gone. I am now racing two Novak brushless spread spectrum systems with a 5.5, 6.5, 7.5, and 13.5 motor. Once you go Novak, you will become used to the smooth throttle and brake response, and the sluggishness of the Mamba will become apparent.

If I have to compare the Mamba Max to the Novak, well the Mamba Max is like an 84 Ford Thunderbird with a clogged carburetor, and the Novak is like a Porsche with smooth powerband and high revs.
\
what you describe there sounds more like glitching then cogging. Sure the reciever not picking up some interfenrence. sensorless or more prone to this then even sensored as there running at higher watt.
zephar123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 02:00 PM   #26
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

At first, I thought it was glitching too. I have a bachelors in electronic engineering so I am no noob at troubleshooting radio glitches. As matter of fact, my senior project was to build a radio and receiver and design everything myself.

Anyway, I too believed it was radio interference. I was upset because I was using a fairly new KO Propo Helios radio w/ spektrum pro and caps. So I sold it and bought a new radio, unfortunately, the same problem appeared. I realized it isn't radio glitching though because the whole time it would happen, I wouldn't lose steering. If it was truly radio glitching, I would get steering twitches, and I would get bursts of throttle as well which never happened.

The problem that happened with the Mamba Max was a stutter, a loss of power. I was already using receiver caps, I had tried repositioning the antenna and RX, so that rules out any more work on the TX and RX. So then I focused on my batteries. I was using IB3800s, matched, always balanced with a tekin battery doctor, side by side packs soldered directly to the mamba max, no deans and no connectors even to the motor. I then told it was because the IB3800s were to weak to power the Mamba. Then I threw in some max amps lipos in there, same problem persisted however.

So then, some people on these forums were saying it was spektrum pro radios in general have a problem working with the Mamba Max. Well, no matter what, I am not changing radios again. I spent $500 on a Sanwa Exzes Plus and a brand new M11 Spektrum Pro module w/ receiver, and an extra receiver, plus two receiver caps.

At this point, whether or not it was my setup, both my mamba max systems exhibited the same problem. I had spent enough, tried enough to remedy the problem. I was ready to pull out my hair.

Remember, I am talking about a slight, almost unnoticeable hiccup that the Mamba Max has. Everyone that I know that raced competitively with the Mamba Max has experienced it. I was able to live with it for awhile, but after throwing win after win because of it, I became fed up. A racing system should never glitch/hiccup/cog whatever you want to call it, no matter how minor the problem is.

What is funny is that as soon as I threw a Novak in there, all problems disappeared. Makes ya think don't it?
High Desert Raceplace, Grand Jct CO, Sanwa Exzes Plus Stick Radio, Spektrum,Thunderpower 230g, Modified Tri-Nut Novak GTB2, Ballistic 4.5t 550, 5.83lb SCTE Ten, Novak Sentry Brushless Dyno, Crossweight Setup Station, Junsi 20A power supply Icharger 20A Charger,TP610C, 22B, Novak Edge, Novak 13.5, SC10, Havoc Pro SC XDrive, Ballistic 17.5 Matthew Joseph Cordova
mattnin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 02:00 PM   #27
wyd
Tech Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super_Roo View Post
Hmmm, I sense a little to much info being given out wyd. Careful, you know what happens when the guys from CC give out even the slightest hint of something new happening. Like that update, you know the one???

BTW, I use the connectors too. The only issue I've had so far with the Mamba was due to bad a battery pack and a broken switch.

sparkplug1288j: IMHO I think people will debate all day and night about which is better but the only person that really matters is you. Do yourself a favor and try to have a drive of a vehicle with both systems and see what appeals to your driving style. I was fortunate enough to do this and I found the Mamba was more suited to my driving style.
Yes I know what happens.
Old 11-29-2007, 02:05 PM   #28
wyd
Tech Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by losidriver70 View Post
Nice looking X-6!
Thanks. I mainly put up the pic so guys can see what I run. Don't want anyone to think I just talk smack and not actually use the Caslte products.