R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 11-28-2007, 03:13 AM   #1
Tech Regular

Default Need your wisdom, 4wd 1/10 buggy

Hi, need some advice from you guys, Im from OZ and myseft and wife go racing at local track for club meets.
I have a problem as in the fact I need a stronger 1/10 buggy for my wife, she currently runs a Losi XXX4 g+, but for her driving skill, it doesn't have the strength needed as she has a habit for breaking it (nice, fast buggy - Ive got mine on brushless- but very brittle )
What does the general comunity recommend as a tough 4WD buggy, it doe'nt need to be a worlds fastest?
I've even built her a brushless Savage X so she can race a full meet (be it in monster class)

Cheers
Scruff_dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 03:18 AM   #2
Tech Addict

What motor does your wife run?

Durability reports on the SBV2 Pro are extremely good, But I may be biased as I just purchased one.

And I dumped my xxx4G.....
Metla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 03:21 AM   #3
Tech Regular

Was a 24 turn stock, now 17 turn.
She isnt after speed, she wont drive mine
Scruff_dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 04:49 AM   #4
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

The Academy SBV2 has a reputation as being one of the most durable of the 4wd buggies. And it's shaft driven, so no more taking 30 minutes to replace a stretched or snapped belt! This would likely be my first choice. They also have a sport version available.

Another option you may be interested in for her would be the Tamiya buggies. The Dark Impact is inexpensive and a fairly durable and competent racer.

The B44 is too new to really display it's durability.

Can't speak for the Kyosho either as I haven't owned or been around one long enough to form an opinion.

Good luck with whatever you choose and remember to look for parts availability from your local hobby store for the quick fixes on race day.
gndprx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 04:58 AM   #5
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

JConcepts.
Alltapdout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 05:26 AM   #6
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default Tough Buggy

RC Product Designs TC3 "O" V3
www.rcproductdesigns.com
DJ1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 05:30 AM   #7
Tech Initiate

It is well known that the TRF501X is the real tank among 4wd buggies. I never saw an A-arm or a hub break. Some people with BJ4's even put TRF501 A-arms on their car.

Now you can say that the TRF501X is a bit expensive for bashing (or the wife ) but now you can buy the Tamiya DB01 Durga, an entry levell version of the TRF501X. It has an enclosed drivetrain, sick pack chassis (same layout as the XXX4) and more importantly : over time you can hop it up to a TRF501X !
stefke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 06:19 AM   #8
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

+1 Tamiya

ARCS Hobbies / Paint Monster Airbrushing / BFast / Tonys Screws
badassrevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 06:36 AM   #9
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 77 (100%+)

The Tamiya has shown to be tough. I like the SBv2 Pro. It costs less than anything else out there and is the most durable 4wd I have seen. Plus it's a shaft drive car, the Tamiya is an exposed belt drive car. Tons of diff and belt maintnence with them.

In mind and body, we're all heading towards old age. It is slower to go by bike.
Davidka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 06:47 AM   #10
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

I can say my Kyosho ZX5 is nearly bulletproof. Our track design we are running now has lots of big jumps and tons of bumps to throw the car around and is known for breaking cars.I have been running my Kyosho 2 times a week for about 6 weeks now and I have only broken 1 front arm, and 1 rear arm. It is a great car and very very durable.
Racerx336 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 06:55 AM   #11
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (89%+)

The B44 is very strong, I would rate it as one for top of the list.
I had the BJ4 and the XX-4 The Losi was candy
Crazy Carl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 07:24 AM   #12
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

I think much of this will come down to one important fact you left out of the original post. How much are you willing to spend?

Do you want a $200 buggy that is durable right out of the box and ready to drop on the track, or a $350+ buggy that is either durable from the start or will need more money to make it so? New or used? etc...

Less of a budget counts out the 501, JConcepts, BJ4, B44, etc...

Also look at battery configuration. Your Losi uses a side by side or stick pack. Some of the others mentioned are saddle packs. So you have to consider if you want to break your packs up or keep them the same across all your vehicles. Also if you move to LiPo, do you want to invest in 2 styles of packs that will be unique to each vehicle, or stick to one standard.

Any way you go, I would still move to a shaft drive cars for her.
gndprx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 07:44 AM   #13
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to BillyCaldwell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racerx336 View Post
I can say my Kyosho ZX5 is nearly bulletproof. Our track design we are running now has lots of big jumps and tons of bumps to throw the car around and is known for breaking cars.I have been running my Kyosho 2 times a week for about 6 weeks now and I have only broken 1 front arm, and 1 rear arm. It is a great car and very very durable.

+ 1 for zx5... but definitely get the aluminum front suspension brace, it will save alot of headaches.
Old 11-28-2007, 08:14 AM   #14
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

My ZX5 has proved to be bomb proof. I only broke one part in the two months I have been racing it, and that was from a full speed collision with a stopped car on the straight.
SQC049 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 08:17 AM   #15
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 77 (100%+)

Funny... remember a couple years ago when the question would've been:

"Should I get a XXX-4g+ or should I get an XXX-4?"

Nice to have choices again, isn't it?

In mind and body, we're all heading towards old age. It is slower to go by bike.
Davidka is offline   Reply With Quote